Koodo Community

Community

Bring rest-of-world roaming prices in line with competition

I'll be taking a business trip to Asia soon, and I took the time to look at pricing for data roaming in those areas.  I was completely shocked.

Koodo looks to have only 50MB over a 30 day interval available as an option, with a subsequent pay-per-use of $10 per MB!  That's crazy!
Fido is $1/MB (with a $10 charge per-day) but that wins out as soon as a person uses >2MB per day! 
Fido's also got a $70 roaming option for 30 days whose data overage rate is $20/15MB. 

Koodo's roaming prices (beyond the US) really seem to me like they could use some re-evaluation against the competition.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Fido's $70 roaming option for Asia is:
40 minutes
150 texts
20mb

Koodo's international $40 plan:
50 minutes
50 texts
50mb.

$30 less and you get more data and minutes. Only the texts are less. Way more worth it.

Fido's isn't any better than Koodo's really.

P.S. What you should actually be doing is unlocking your phone and getting a local sim card while you are there. Much cheaper than any roaming option.

Ahmad wrote:

40 minutes
150 texts
20mb

Koodo's international $40 plan:...

Ahmad,

I'm glad someone wants to talk numbers, for the trip to Asia.

Let's say I might expect 10MB/day, on a 10 day trip.  Puny by today's standards, especially given the data volumes people expect to use within Canada.  Couple of email attachments, or maps to locations, or posting photos to favourite sharing sites, and it's easy to see how 10MB per day might even be on the low side.

Fido's $70 plan:
includes 20MB and then the remaining 80MB is treated as overage.  That is billed at $10/day plus $1/MB. 
Assuming a consistent 10MB per day, this works out to be: $230
($70 + 8 days of overage (8x$10) + 80MB @$1/MB) = 70 + 80 + 80 = $230)

Koodo:
$40 plan provides 50MB usage, thus need to plan for 50MB more usage
Overage charges are $10/MB.
So, total costs for Koodo would be $540
($40 + 50MB @$10/MB each)

Koodo works out to be basically double what Fido would be.

Let's do the same numbers for 15MB/day.

Fido works out to be $280.
Koodo?  $1040 (not a typo)

If I've made a mistake here then I would welcome the correction.

I've definitely heard that it is much more cost-effective to get plans on-the-ground there, but then there's the hassle of how to handle phone calls and texts to my normal Canadian number.  And as far as I know Apple doesn't make a dual-sim iPhone 😞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

40 minutes
150 texts
20mb

Koodo's international $40 plan:...

[i]"Let's do the same numbers for 15MB/day."

Telus: $50, but you'd be paying about $15 / month more for your day-to-day usage.

For some use scenarios, especially where out of country trips are frequent, the first tier carriers can be the better solution. If the trip you describe, or one similar occurred annually, a Telus plan could be cheaper on an annualized basis.

[i]"Couple of email attachments, or maps to locations, or posting photos to favourite sharing sites, and it's easy to see how 10MB per day might even be on the low side."

Email could be managed while you are in your hotel, business location, cafe, restaurant, etc., and connected to Wi-Fi. Offline mapping tools are readily available to keep your data consumption at zero, and posting photos could wait until you are again connected to Wi-Fi. While I agree there are valid business cases to need mobile connectivity, there are also ways to easily manage your out-of-country consumption.