Koodo Community
Solved

Bring Ottawa Number to Gatineau

I used to live in Ottawa and had 613# for many years with another wireless carrier . Then family bought a new house in Gatineau and we moved in. I openned an account and bought a new phone with Koodo recently. Koodo gave me 819# and I was told if I want to change back to my old number, just do it online or call Koodo to port it to Koodo. I tried to port my old 613# so many times, but it didn't go through. Call Koodo to get a lived person and waiting for hours, then cut out itself. I went back to store to get help. However, they told me if I want to change Koodo 819 Quebec number to Ottawa 613 number, my plan has to be changed. And It will cost me much more. WTF, it doesn't make sense two places just 15 minutes away. The plan is so much different. To port my old Ottawa number in, I have to pay more every month. I want to keep my old number, It has been with me over 10 years, whenever I do either return goods or find customer information in any stores, I give them my phone number, they will find me. So what I can do? Return the phone to store, it already over a month. Now I stuck between a rock and a hard place.
icon

Best answer by Mats 9 January 2019, 07:58

James203 wrote:

Mayumi wrote:

Flyer wrote:

I don't understand why I can't bring in my Ottawa number when I moved to Gatineau from Ottawa.

If you go and look at the Quebec plans, go have a look at #3 of the nitty-gritty. It says

"Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location."

You are a Quebec resident with a Quebec plan which is why they won't allow you to have a non Quebec number. You can port your 613 number to Koodo if you select a Ontario plan.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's true, you can only have a Quebec plan with a Quebec # - though some have been able to port in a number from another province. But if they told you no, that's what it is I'm afraid...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Quebec has better plans. One of Koodo's ways to help ensure only QC residents get these plans is to only allow people to keep those plans if they have a QC number. You could try to port the number to Fongo or something to retain it or just bite the bullet and grab an ON plan. Unless you can try to schedule a call back from koodo.com/chat and hope you can work out am exception as long as you maintain a QC address but...i wouldn't count on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would try one more time by contacting Koodo via private message on facebook or twitter.
Usually out of province plans are not allowed but since Gatineau is a twin city of Ottawa there might be exceptions (I would think the store rep would know this best)

Phone can only returned within 15 days.
What happens if someone has a Canada wide plan, would it change if went to another province? require to change your nbr
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flyer wrote:

What happens if someone has a Canada wide plan, would it change if went to another province? require to change your nbr

Technically you could keep your number. But if your new friends or coworkers doesn’t have a Canada wide plan, then there will be long distance charges on them every time they call you.Also, if there is a province specific plan, you can’t switch your plan to it without changing your number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Flyer wrote:

You never have to change your number. In which case you can keep your plan
Mayumi wrote:

Flyer wrote:

Technically you could keep your number. But if your new friends or coworkers doesn’t have a Canada wide plan, then there will be long distance charges on them every time they call you.Also, if there is a province specific plan, you can’t switch your plan to it without changing your number.

There are two municipal cities in National Capital Region: Ottawa and Gatineau. Two area code: 613 for Ottawa; 819 for Gatineau. There is never long distance call charges between those two area code.

I don't understand why I can't bring in my Ottawa number when I moved to Gatineau from Ottawa. One of my co-workers told me to pay off the tabs owed and take new phone to other carrier. I'm not sure if it is feasible yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Which Koodo number you called and was cut out? I thought the option to wait was no longer available?. Koodo recently allows customers to setup callback through their digital assistant so you don't have to wait on phone www.koodo.com/chat.

If you would like to do some deal specifically for your case, you need to contact them directly. Hopefully something will work out for you.
James203 wrote:

Mayumi wrote:

Flyer wrote:

I don't understand why I can't bring in my Ottawa number when I moved to Gatineau from Ottawa.

If you go and look at the Quebec plans, go have a look at #3 of the nitty-gritty. It says

"Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location."

You are a Quebec resident with a Quebec plan which is why they won't allow you to have a non Quebec number. You can port your 613 number to Koodo if you select a Ontario plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could also try to port your Ottawa number to a VoIP service, and forward it to your new number until everyone who calls is aware of your new number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I really recommend speaking with a local Koodo kiosk. They would know the rules and restrictions best since they work in the Ottawa-Gatineau Region and likely deals with this all the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Phone number area code goes with province of "residence", as in credit card info.

You can have your cake and eat it too. Get a 613 number from a VoIP provider such as Callcentric and have incoming calls forwarded to your "new, improved 819 with a Quebec plan" number.

Will probably cost about +$10 a month, but keep all your incoming callers happy that they don't have to fork over for long distance. And you will have a ton of call filtering/forwarding features that no cell carrier normally provides.