Koodo Community

Community

Borderline plan

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lots of folks snowbird down south. Used to have a plan with Telus or Bell that gave us 250 minutes anywhere in North America for $75 per month --- long since discontinued. I live in the sticks in Canada, so Koodo is my only viable choice. Every call I make is "long distance". But now with the internet, that "long distance" concept is due to be shattered. Since Koodo already roams with AT&T and Consumer Cellular offers (AT&T resale!!!) plans in the US much cheaper than Koodo, why not do a partnership? While I am in the US & using Consumer, I pay 4 cents a minute to call Canada (vs $1.50 a minute with Koodo). US calling and data rates are much less than if I were sticking with the home team. And in the meantime, I pay Koodo $15/month to put my Cdn service to "sleep". It's much cheaper for me to zombie Koodo and flirt in the US. Koodo, find yourself a reason to keep us loyal. please.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Koodo now had unlimited talk and text add ons you can buy for the US that is also good for calling texting back to Canada. Depending on your use it works out to less than the 4 cents you pay through Consumer Cellular.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can you supply an html link? I don't think they beat $25 US per month for 200 minutes talk/300MB data for $25 per month or $40 US per month for 600 minutes/1 gig of data. Even if I factor in the 4 cents per minute Cdn surcharge and the currency difference. It would please me no end if you are proven right, so that we wouldn't have to do this jig a few times every year.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Can you supply an html link? I don't think they beat $25 US per month for 200 minutes talk/300...

Here it is: https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/add-ons/index.html Look at the US add-ons. 3,10, 30 day pricing. You decide if you want just talk, talk & text or add data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
US roaming 30 days (voice only) is already a $75 add-on, let alone adding data. PLUS, you won't find many Americans calling YOU back if THEY have to pay US international long distance to return a call coming from the (514) area code but only 2 doors down. I also have a Tracfone which is about 10 cents a minute within the US prepaid. If I were only interested in voice calling, that's what I would use exclusively. The point I am trying to make is that Koodo has seized on the Cdn long distance marketplace and has that space to itself. Time to expand on the US side.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

US roaming 30 days (voice only) is already a $75 add-on, let alone adding data. PLUS, you won'...

It's $45 for a month not seventy five.. Unlimited talk and text. "For $45, enjoy unlimited talk and text while travelling within continental U.S., Alaska, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico for 30 days To immediately add to your account, text 30TNT to 4545. Add-on will start working instantly upon adding, and expire at 11:59pm (local time) 30 days after you added it. Click here for more details."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

US roaming 30 days (voice only) is already a $75 add-on, let alone adding data. PLUS, you won'...

That's an "ADD-ON". You still have to pay for basic service, so add another $30 + tax
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sorry for the confusion, I am including 300MB of DATA as well in the US-based plan. 600 minutes of talk only is $20 per month. 2500 minutes is $40, all can be shared amongst family phones for $10 per month per phone on Consumer. Obviously everyone has to match their usage to whatever plan suits them, but adding data seems to boot Koodo out of the ballpark.