Feedback
Black Friday Pixel 5 Purchase | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Solved

Black Friday Pixel 5 Purchase

• 5 December 2020
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 5

I ordered a Pixel 5 phone through Black Friday sale on Koodo’s website on Nov. 20th. At the time of purchase, the shipping time was 1 - 2 weeks which means it should’ve been shipped already. Just like man of the Koodo customers, the shipping period was one of the main reasons I ordered this phone. However, after my today’s call with customer service, it turns out the shipping is actually going to be in 6 - 8 weeks!!

Based on the customer service agent, the information on the deal was not up to date which goes to show that the whole Black Friday “Sale” was nothing but a click bait to get us to pay for the service just to get it a lot later than what was originally announced.

This is a disgrace and a total disservice to us who use Koodo as a service and will only lead to them losing valued customers. If they actually cared about us, they would make sure that their inventory can satisfy the demand before posting the so called “Bright” Friday “Sale”

icon

Best answer by blahblahblah 11 December 2020, 10:57

ummm sort of... Koodo/Telus ordered X amount of inventory for X amount of dollars. Koodo/Telus ran out. Now they need to negotiate a new price. I doubt they can get the same deal with Google, so it’s either wait or pay the cost to be at the front of the line to honour the outstanding contracts with the clients from the Black Friday Sales. So you would need to take into consideration the reputation of the company.  Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m just speculating based on exprerience from other industries. 

It still seems like the obvious solution here is better planning.. do not sell items you do not have in your inventory. 

This is pure speculation.  We have no idea what Koodo’s contract status is with Google.

I said in my note that I'm simply speculating, so thank repeating what said I guess? My point was that you are not privy to the details of Koodo's contract with Google either. I am only trying to understand what happened with my order so that I can make better informed decisions in the future. 

Respectfully I disagree with your advice telling folks who are trying to use what little resources they have availble to get some information, to simply cut their losses and leave Koodo. Cancelling the order and taking my business elsewhere is not best way to address what may very well be systemic industry issues.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

ummm sort of... Koodo/Telus ordered X amount of inventory for X amount of dollars. Koodo/Telus ran out. Now they need to negotiate a new price. I doubt they can get the same deal with Google, so it’s either wait or pay the cost to be at the front of the line to honour the outstanding contracts with the clients from the Black Friday Sales. So you would need to take into consideration the reputation of the company.  Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m just speculating based on exprerience from other industries. 

It still seems like the obvious solution here is better planning.. do not sell items you do not have in your inventory. 

This is pure speculation.  We have no idea what Koodo’s contract status is with Google.

Thanks for letting me know I can cancel my order. I also appreciate that you reminded me that Koodo is not a phone manufacturer…

If this is the attitude and mindset that runs through Koodo, no wonder we are in this mess. Instead of admitting to lack of management, and vouching to be better in the future we go scream at the valued customers and ask them to go use our competitors’ services...Perfect!

Where am I screaming?  Please dont put words (volume) in my mouth.

Im just saying that as a customer for a sector with choice, you have the freedom to speak with your wallet.  What you didnt catch, is that all of the other carriers are all running into the same issue with the Pixel 5.  So maybe they have crappy contracts with Google too :shrug:

I totally agree! Canceling the order and encouraging customers to go to other companies is the WORST attitude for running a business.

Good thing I dont run the Koodo business

It’s all about how Koodo can get their customers’ money by their so called “deals” and when it comes to honoring our promise they just bail on their customers and when they complain just shout at them and ask them hey cancel your order and go use our competitors’ services. 

Who is shouting?  Trust me, IF IM SHOUTING YOU WILL KNOW IT.

If you want the phone and are willing to wait. you are paying your tab over 24 months.  You are not paying more or less for the phone.  You are just waiting longer for inventory.  If Koodo doesnt or cant deliver the phone, they will issue a full refund.

And just reading your comment here… you jumped from “it’s all about how Koodo can get their customers’ money” to ask them hey cancel your order and go use our competitors’ services”. 

Which one is it?  Does koodo want to take all your money or do they not want your money and to send customers away?  Because the 2 statements don’t jive.

Userlevel 3

I said in my note that I'm simply speculating, so thank repeating what said I guess? My point was that you are not privy to the details of Koodo's contract with Google either. I am only trying to understand what happened with my order so that I can make better informed decisions in the future. 

Respectfully I disagree with your advice telling folks who are trying to use what little resources they have availble to get some information, to simply cut their losses and leave Koodo. Cancelling the order and taking my business elsewhere is not best way to address what may very well be systemic industry issues.

Userlevel 5

Exactly, they are not trying to read what we say and just come in and make noise only to sidetrack our original complaint. This is only because they know they dropped the ball and have no explanation other than pointing blame to someone else and also encouraging us to go use other service providers!

Userlevel 5

Thanks for letting me know I can cancel my order. I also appreciate that you reminded me that Koodo is not a phone manufacturer…

If this is the attitude and mindset that runs through Koodo, no wonder we are in this mess. Instead of admitting to lack of management, and vouching to be better in the future we go scream at the valued customers and ask them to go use our competitors’ services...Perfect!

Where am I screaming?  Please dont put words (volume) in my mouth.

Im just saying that as a customer for a sector with choice, you have the freedom to speak with your wallet.  What you didnt catch, is that all of the other carriers are all running into the same issue with the Pixel 5.  So maybe they have crappy contracts with Google too :shrug:

I totally agree! Canceling the order and encouraging customers to go to other companies is the WORST attitude for running a business.

Good thing I dont run the Koodo business

It’s all about how Koodo can get their customers’ money by their so called “deals” and when it comes to honoring our promise they just bail on their customers and when they complain just shout at them and ask them hey cancel your order and go use our competitors’ services. 

Who is shouting?  Trust me, IF IM SHOUTING YOU WILL KNOW IT.

If you want the phone and are willing to wait. you are paying your tab over 24 months.  You are not paying more or less for the phone.  You are just waiting longer for inventory.  If Koodo doesnt or cant deliver the phone, they will issue a full refund.

And just reading your comment here… you jumped from “it’s all about how Koodo can get their customers’ money” to ask them hey cancel your order and go use our competitors’ services”. 

Which one is it?  Does koodo want to take all your money or do they not want your money and to send customers away?  Because the 2 statements don’t jive.

Thanks for your reply.

Please try to read what you said and what I said in response before trying to type your incoherent line of thinking. At this point, continuing this argument with you is just a distraction and a waste of time and will sideline the main complaint of many many customers.  

I guess when you have no solid explanation on why this whole mess happened and how to avoid it in the future, you just put act out and put out unrelated words and point the finger at the customer for asking what they were promised in the first place. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Fair point.  I had a much more eloquent reply written but as the reply got longer to the other replies I accidentally clicked the back button and lost it all.  Since yours was the first reply I made, it was the worst re-write.

But I think I wanted to say speculation is not very productive.  Neither of know what’s going on.  We can only take what koodo says at face value

Userlevel 3

Hey Dennis, 

I was responding to your previous post:

“You make it sound like Koodo is purposely not bringing in more inventory.  Do you think they dont want to have inventory?  Koodo doesnt make the phones and is reliant on the manufacturers.  Like I said earlier, you are free to cancel your order and order direct from Google.  You are also free to cancel and move to another carrier that has the phone available or better inventory management of their phone supplies.”

You asked us a vauge question about inventory management. My answer to your line of thinking was that it’s complicated. 

Suggesting that Google dropped the ball is speculation as well. Did I miss any official posts from Google or any Koodo Reps saying Google is responsible for the shortage? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Dennis, 

“You make it sound like Koodo is purposely not bringing in more inventory.  Do you think they dont want to have inventory?  Koodo doesnt make the phones and is reliant on the manufacturers.  Like I said earlier, you are free to cancel your order and order direct from Google.  You are also free to cancel and move to another carrier that has the phone available or better inventory management of their phone supplies.”

You asked us a vauge question about inventory management. My answer to your line of thinking was that it’s complicated. 

Suggesting that Google dropped the ball is speculation as well. Did I miss any official posts from Google or any Koodo Reps saying Google is responsible for the shortage? 

Typically when a carrier orders from a manufacturer, they get a supply of phones within a couple weeks.  This is what we have seen for other phones.  Usually when the wait time is into the 4+ weeks, it is a shortage from the manufacturer who cant keep up with demand, ala iphones.

So if the wait time is what we have now, and with the clear complaints that Koodo sees here, I think it would be fair that Koodo has place orders for more stock based on past practice.  

As for google dropping the ball, since the Google store is also out of stock, I think it is clear they also do not have any units and are waiting for delivery from the manufacturer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for your reply.

Please try to read what you said and what I said in response before trying to type your incoherent line of thinking. At this point, continuing this argument with you is just a distraction and a waste of time and will sideline the main complaint of many many customers.  

I guess when you have no solid explanation on why this whole mess happened and how to avoid it in the future, you just put act out and put out unrelated words and point the finger at the customer for asking what they were promised in the first place. 

Yes I have re-read your comment and my reply and my statement stands.

And Yes I agree we should get to the main complaint.  But let’s stick to solutions.  Koodo promised a plan of action 2 days ago and we have heard anything back.   I have flagged that post asking for an update this morning.

I have also flag our koodo contacts asking about the Pixel situation yesterday.

And I have now personally messaged our Koodo contact asking about the situation.

Userlevel 3

Hey Dennis, 

Typically when a carrier orders from a manufacturer, they get a supply of phones within a couple weeks.  This is what we have seen for other phones.  Usually when the wait time is into the 4+ weeks, it is a shortage from the manufacturer who cant keep up with demand, ala iphones.

So if the wait time is what we have now, and with the clear complaints that Koodo sees here, I think it would be fair that Koodo has place orders for more stock based on past practice.  

As for google dropping the ball, since the Google store is also out of stock, I think it is clear they also do not have any units and are waiting for delivery from the manufacturer.

Thank you for the information, I will definitely keep this in mind for future orders.

The method of communication on Google’s website is clear and transparent - “out of stock”. They are not selling anyone a phone they do not have in inventory. Koodo continued to sell the phone long past knowing the level of inventory on hand was insufficient to fulfill the outstanding orders in a timely manner. Customers were locked into contracts and lost the opportunity to partcipate in any of the competitor's Black Friday Deals. 

I appreciate your efforts to flag the issue!

Userlevel 1

Yes!!! To the above!

They are selling phones to customers as if they have stock, but DO NOT. What a farce! Better Business Bureau might even get an email once I'm done with the CRTC's. I encourage others who purchased in and around Black Friday to also jump ship like they seem to be doing with this Reddit style board of customers answering customers questions, and reps who treat you like your a dollar sign and don't listen when you say cancel my order. They instead play the corpo blame game of its the manufacturers fault we sold you a phone when we don't have stock. That sounds like a you problem not a Google problem. As the post above states even Google has the phone listed as out of stock.

And ya know I wouldnt have been mad if the day after I purchased it I got an email that said: “ hold up, we messed up we will cover the tab charge until your phone ships and that will be xx/xx/xx" , but they couldn't even do that.

They must be getting complaints as the rep told me they had a meeting yesterday and people will be getting calls on Monday about the shortage, waiting for that one because apparently cancelling an order with Koodo takes 2 days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I guess it is too late, but it is listed as sold out on the website now.

I did give Koodo a earful about their lack of communication.  It looks like they want to get as much info as possible before releasing an official response.  So all I can say is sit tight.  And hopefully we will hear something eventually.  But set your expectations low and dont expect anything soon.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have re-read your comment and my reply and my statement stands.

And Yes I agree we should get to the main complaint.  But let’s stick to solutions.  Koodo promised a plan of action 2 days ago and we have heard anything back.   I have flagged that post asking for an update this morning.

I have also flag our koodo contacts asking about the Pixel situation yesterday.

And I have now personally messaged our Koodo contact asking about the situation.

Thanks for all you do to take our complaints to the source.

Hopefully something can come out of it and we can get the service sooner rather than later. Also, I hope Koodo can take note of what happened this time so the futures buyers can have more confidence in the process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just want to let everyone affected by the nation wide Pixel shortage know that an email update regarding the delays should have been sent last night.  If not, some time this morning. Please follow one of the options suggested there. Thanks for your understanding and patience!