Feedback
Black Friday Pixel 5 Purchase | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Solved

Black Friday Pixel 5 Purchase

• 5 December 2020
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 5

I ordered a Pixel 5 phone through Black Friday sale on Koodo’s website on Nov. 20th. At the time of purchase, the shipping time was 1 - 2 weeks which means it should’ve been shipped already. Just like man of the Koodo customers, the shipping period was one of the main reasons I ordered this phone. However, after my today’s call with customer service, it turns out the shipping is actually going to be in 6 - 8 weeks!!

Based on the customer service agent, the information on the deal was not up to date which goes to show that the whole Black Friday “Sale” was nothing but a click bait to get us to pay for the service just to get it a lot later than what was originally announced.

This is a disgrace and a total disservice to us who use Koodo as a service and will only lead to them losing valued customers. If they actually cared about us, they would make sure that their inventory can satisfy the demand before posting the so called “Bright” Friday “Sale”

icon

Best answer by blahblahblah 11 December 2020, 10:57

ummm sort of... Koodo/Telus ordered X amount of inventory for X amount of dollars. Koodo/Telus ran out. Now they need to negotiate a new price. I doubt they can get the same deal with Google, so it’s either wait or pay the cost to be at the front of the line to honour the outstanding contracts with the clients from the Black Friday Sales. So you would need to take into consideration the reputation of the company.  Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m just speculating based on exprerience from other industries. 

It still seems like the obvious solution here is better planning.. do not sell items you do not have in your inventory. 

This is pure speculation.  We have no idea what Koodo’s contract status is with Google.

I said in my note that I'm simply speculating, so thank repeating what said I guess? My point was that you are not privy to the details of Koodo's contract with Google either. I am only trying to understand what happened with my order so that I can make better informed decisions in the future. 

Respectfully I disagree with your advice telling folks who are trying to use what little resources they have availble to get some information, to simply cut their losses and leave Koodo. Cancelling the order and taking my business elsewhere is not best way to address what may very well be systemic industry issues.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Their supply is also dependent on Google.  It could be Google who let down customers.

Userlevel 5

Their supply is also dependent on Google.  It could be Google who let down customers.

Thanks for your comment. It’s Koodo’s fault for not checking their inventory before posting the offer. When it comes to taking money and showing their “deals” they are pretty quick, but they didn’t bother to check the inventory first and predict the demand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are free to cancel your order by emailing the webstore

koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com

Userlevel 5

You are free to cancel your order by emailing the webstore

koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com

Thanks for reminding me that I can cancel my order. Canceling is not the answer. There are many cases similar to mine and canceling them all would result in a huge loss for a company. Hopefully, Koodo can see and address these issues before it’s too late.

Userlevel 4

Hey Pedro,

I'm in the exact same boat, even Nov 20. I bought two pixel fives (one for me and one new line, planning on bringing the mother in law onto the account). Called in two days ago and got the exact same nonsense. Not even a sorry.

Whole thing is super frustrating and I'm hoping someone like Bell has a similar deal on for boxing week or something at this rate. More than happy to jump ship over this garbage. It's clear the providers aren't interested in keeping clients happy otherwise they would have, at an absolute bare minimum, proactively reached out and said "Sorry guys, we messed up". I don't own any Telus/Koodo shares so I get the feeling they don't really care about me...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for your comment. It’s Koodo’s fault for not checking their inventory before posting the offer. When it comes to taking money and showing their “deals” they are pretty quick, but they didn’t bother to check the inventory first and predict the demand. 

Just as an FYI, if you order anything online and the website says “will ship in 1-2 weeks", it means they don't HAVE any inventory. They're on order and should be arriving in 1-2 weeks. If the expected shipment arrives with a note saying “item x is backordered”, there isn't a whole lot they can do about that.

Userlevel 4

Nuances of the language Koodo chooses to use not withstanding, the expectation they chose to set was that the order would be shipped within 1-2 weeks. Whether that's to them or to the client, their management of the situation was lacking from my perspective. If it's supply chain issues they're having with Google, still sounds like a Koodo problem to me to manage when the contract that I commit to is with them and not Google.

Long and the short of it, the emails they sent me on Nov. 20th explicitly state "Your order will take 1-2 weeks to ship". No "may be delayed"; nothing about "we'll let you know when Google decides to send us some phones". They have taken no proactive measures to work with me on how to fix the situation they've mismanaged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So at the two week mark when the expected shipment doesn't arrive koodo should what? Storm the Google factory? Conjure more phones out of thin air? Fire up their time machine and go back to set a different expectation? Automatically cancel every order they can't immediately fulfill?

Userlevel 4

For those of us who live in a civilized society (you're the one who brought up storming factories), there's this thing called a contract where two parties exchange goods and services often for monetary compensation. My complaint isn't that I don't have a pixel 5 in my hands, my complaint is that one of the two parties hasn't held up their end of the contract.

It's customary in the case of such a breach to confer with the other party and say "hey, I told you I could do something for you, turns out I can't right now so how can we make this right?".

How about a couple months free service? Offer me a different phone or additional perks? Even something like extra data that I'm not even likely going to use to show SOME level of recognition they went and hosed it.

Are you honestly that beaten down by these big corporations to think that we should simply accept when they can't keep up their end of the deal?

Userlevel 4

Briefly, not looking to offend (civilized comment may have been a touch harsh). Simply thinking this should be better handled by the multi million dollar corporation.

Userlevel 3

How about a couple months free service? Offer me a different phone or additional perks? Even something like extra data that I'm not even likely going to use to show SOME level of recognition they went and hosed it.

Have you spoken to Koodo? They will absolutely offer you goods. 

Userlevel 4

Oh I tried that two days ago when they told me it would be an additional 4-6 weeks. They simply told me I was "on the priority list" for when they do finally receive the phones.

I don't enjoy airing grievances online but this at least is hopefully productive in providing attention to a lack of corporate responsibility they are showing their clients in this instance.

I'm only one voice, and maybe they do have something in the works from "corporate" on how to fix this on a larger scale. I haven't seen anything though.

Userlevel 4

Take all this with a grain of salt and I fully acknowledge that it's Saturday and I'm clearly bored and thinking too much about this whole thing.

This 'lack of inventory' from any company can absolutely be seen as anti-competitive behavior that should potentially be punished beyond simply a few annoyed clients.

Competitors were offering the same deal all week, and unless a company is SERIOUSLY behind the times from a procurement standpoint, they should know within a week of me ordering, if they are going to be able to make a commitment of say, two weeks. Them being upfront and honest about their commitments would risk people jumping ship to a competitor who may have procured stock, instead, they sit quietly and wait for the other offers to lapse, having no intention of meeting their initial commitment…

I genuinely don't know if this is something the Competition Bureau of Canada can even do anything about but if enough people are in the same boat, this type of practice should be massively discouraged.

/Rant

Userlevel 5

Hey Pedro,

I'm in the exact same boat, even Nov 20. I bought two pixel fives (one for me and one new line, planning on bringing the mother in law onto the account). Called in two days ago and got the exact same nonsense. Not even a sorry.

Whole thing is super frustrating and I'm hoping someone like Bell has a similar deal on for boxing week or something at this rate. More than happy to jump ship over this garbage. It's clear the providers aren't interested in keeping clients happy otherwise they would have, at an absolute bare minimum, proactively reached out and said "Sorry guys, we messed up". I don't own any Telus/Koodo shares so I get the feeling they don't really care about me...

Hi,

I’m sorry you had to go through all this trouble.  When I called the customer service agent she gave me the old “Hey you can cancel your order” nonsense.  To which I responded “Can I get the same deal?” and I was told “No you will not”!!!.

This whole thing is such a disgrace and a total disservice.

Userlevel 5

Just as an FYI, if you order anything online and the website says “will ship in 1-2 weeks", it means they don't HAVE any inventory. They're on order and should be arriving in 1-2 weeks. If the expected shipment arrives with a note saying “item x is backordered”, there isn't a whole lot they can do about that.

Thanks for your comment. I totally disagree with your assessment. I have shopped online enough times to know that when it says it ships within X days, it means it will ship during that time. So to me this sounds just like another excuse from Koodo.

Userlevel 5

So at the two week mark when the expected shipment doesn't arrive koodo should what? Storm the Google factory? Conjure more phones out of thin air? Fire up their time machine and go back to set a different expectation? Automatically cancel every order they can't immediately fulfill?

We are having a cordial discussion about a complaint many people are having. So I appreciate if you can keep it that and avoid using this kind of language. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

I ordered a Pixel 5 on Nov. 21st and it was stated that it would ship in 1-2 weeks as well. In the order status it still says 1-2 weeks, I have not been contacted by Koodo at all to let me know it’s not coming any time soon. It was a Christmas gift for my Daughter who will be home from University. Kinda shady deal to not bother to update me…...

Userlevel 5

I ordered a Pixel 5 on Nov. 21st and it was stated that it would ship in 1-2 weeks as well. In the order status it still says 1-2 weeks, I have not been contacted by Koodo at all to let me know it’s not coming any time soon. It was a Christmas gift for my Daughter who will be home from University. Kinda shady deal to not bother to update me…...

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. The interesting part is it’s not just pixel 5, it’s a wide range of other phones that they had their so called “deal” for and they haven’t delivered on time. This is a real disgrace in terms of customer service. They took our money, and for sure will charge us on the future tabs for something that god only knows when we’ll get out hands on.

Userlevel 4

For any of you Koodo reps that are monitoring these forums... Care to chime in at all? Or does the company want to keep feigning ignorance?

Userlevel 4

Just a heads up to anyone reading this in the same boat… I’ve dropped a note to CBC marketplace describing the issue at marketplace@cbc.ca
No clue if it will make a difference but if you’re in the same boat and you have a second, may as well give it a go!

Thanks for reading!

Userlevel 5

For any of you Koodo reps that are monitoring these forums... Care to chime in at all? Or does the company want to keep feigning ignorance?

I love the fact that they are all silent! They know they dropped the ball and have nothing to say other than “Hey you can cancel your order”, as if it’s their golden business motto these days.

Userlevel 1

I’m having the exact same experience for an iPhone 12 Pro (Pacific Blue, 256GB). Terrible business practices.

While I understand Koodo can’t ship phones they don’t have - if Koodo repeatedly tells customers they HAVE the phones - they should then, retroactively, ‘make it right’: give customers a voucher (e.g., monthly discounts off of their plans) or something of the sort. That is something that is in Koodo’s control - if they care about doing the right thing.

Userlevel 5

I’m having the exact same experience for an iPhone 12 Pro (Pacific Blue, 256GB). Terrible business practices.

While I understand Koodo can’t ship phones they don’t have - if Koodo repeatedly tells customers they HAVE the phones - they should then, retroactively, ‘make it right’: give customers a voucher (e.g., monthly discounts off of their plans) or something of the sort. That is something that is in Koodo’s control - if they care about doing the right thing.

So sorry to hear about your experience. Like I said before, this happened to many many other people with different phone models. The literally took the money and refused the service! We will all be getting the updated tab balance and they expect us to pay for things we will not be getting for a long time!

They claimed they have the inventory for various phone models which as it turns out now was just a bait to get the money and when it came to offering the service they are now blaming phone manufacturers which I think is pathetic. It’s honestly embarrassing to run a business based on the current standards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo never was very good with updating shipping time estimates. All I can say is speak with a Rep, complain, and ask for something then.

Userlevel 4

Koodo never was very good with updating shipping time estimates. All I can say is speak with a Rep, complain, and ask for something then.

Already tried that... They simply told me I was "on the priority list" for whenever they received their shipment.