Koodo Community

Become a fair, accountable "Partner" , Koodo.

• 7 November 2013
  • 63 replies

Show first post

63 replies

I dont know why you think Wind is going to take over anything when they havent done any expansión...yes and no. The foreign investor publically regretted investing in Canada and blasted government policy. The CEO of Wind stepped down based on those same CRTC decisions which made it impossible to expand their vision for Canada, and to protect his future career and not become "That guy who ran Wind into the ground" because regardless of the absolute fact that it is only the CRTC wireless spectrum policies that is making Wind's growth slower then expected, he would still be blamed for any potential failure that might be looming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dylan, I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. But, the ONLY thing that will make a carrier listen to regarding what you should be paying is if you're paying what they're asking. You've stated that you're fine with not having data between zones as you can usually grab WiFi. But then, you state that if one of your friends didn't live outside the network, you'd be switching. Is there no WiFi in his home? I was fine with not having data travelling between London and Kitchener. But then, Koodo had a promotion that was reasonable enough ($56 for unlimited calling/messaging and 2 GB data) and my wife didn't really care for data (so her she grabbed the $25 plan with enough minutes and free evenings/weekends). We were paying $75/month with Wind. As I usually used up only ~1.5 GB, the lower data cap didn't bother me. So that extra $6 a month for Koodo was worth it for our situation as it was cheaper than having satellite radio for those frequent drives. If my wife was a smartphone and a data addict like me, we wouldn't have left. If she decides that she wants data, we may have to port her line away, depending on how much data she'd want.
Userlevel 2
Let's be honest here. The only way the big 3 will ever do any changes is if they see that they are losing profits. The only way to do that is for customers to cancel their accounts and NOT have a cell phone. The likelyhood of that happening is slim to none, because people seem to think they need a cell phone to survive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Let's be honest here. The only way the big 3 will ever do any changes is if they see that they ar...Couldn't have put it better. I know a lot of people who live within Wind zones (with more than acceptable coverage, in my opinion), but when I ask them why they don't switch, they whine about Wind's network. Yes it's inferior, and I'll never deny that. I'm willing to pay the premium for a better network, but not double the price. If I had to, I could live with Wind.
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continue to use your services without complaint over penalizing your users for "overuse" because you want to make a ton more money in the short term? One thing a lot of people forget is that cellular providers have the opportunity to become home internet service providers as well, but they haven't, because if they do that, they are forced to admit that data doesn't cost them anything. I'm really excited for the 700mhz auction. If the claim that 25% was set aside for newcomers, and globalive gets it, they'll be able to cover relatively flat regions (like all of ontario below london area) with on-network coverage with a tiny amount of cell towers. This is a HUGE HUGE deal and the engineers at the big three know it. For a highly technical person like me I understand the massive boon this would be to someone like Wind. Windsor had a massive amount of people hop to Wind when they came here even though the coverage is so low spread. This is due to this being a highly unemployed, depressed region of Ontario. People around here all have cell phones but often struggle to pay the bills, especially when they go over their caps. They can't afford new phones outright by and large so they're lured into long contracts to get the nicer phones but don't realize that they may pay dearly if they're not careful or they don't understand the hardware. This is evidenced by all the brand new phones on classifieds sites asking for "pay off contract". Just check kijiji windsor. I found a freaking Galaxy s4 a week after they were released for 350! Unlocked! People are giving away iphone 5s as long as people take their contacts because their service was shut off in the first month from watching too much Vine. But, because the region is flat, those "outer limit" cell towers cover the county a LOT, however, because they're forced to use 1900/2100mhz AWS they don't work indoors or against trees or in basement apartments or through other buildings very well. If they had 700mhz, or even 900mhz (which is all the big three, which is why they have such great coverage) this would be a non-issue. Their coverage would immediately expand, they would capture the entire surrounding county for less then 20,000 in actual broadcast hardware and less then 1,000,000 in land, and bob's yer uncle, they win, if they continue to keep their pricing model. This will of course force the big three to compete and we all win, but once that happens poor little Wind might be the springboard for change, but broken once the marketing machine at the big three ramps up. It's really unfair to consumers. But I do agree that businesses have the right to make money. That's fair and we all want to be successful. However, I personally believe the internet and communication has become a fundamental HUMAN RIGHT, and since cell phones are now practically the only viable way we have to contact publicly funded emergency services, and all other public services, there has to be some consumer protection put into place to stimulate competition and protect more affordable services for the every-man.
Userlevel 2
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...Customers have the power to control their usage. The only ones to blame is them in this case. If everyone stayed within their usage, there would be a lot less complaining about their high bills. Granted, providers could offer better deals. My idea still stands about people leaving their providers in order to facilitate change, but as long as people are happy to abuse their usage instead of staying within their means, then it falls on them to rectify the issue, NOT the provider. Internet a human right? I disagree. You do not need internet to survive. My grandfather, who does not have internet, lives with his means.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...None of the big 3 run on 900 MHz, they're all on 850. Odd that a "highly technical" person such as yourself is not aware of that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...Myke, I disagree with you about the Internet not being a human right. And a lot of other people do as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Internet_access You also don't need free speech to survive, but it's a human right. Living is about more than surviving.
Userlevel 6
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...[i]You also don't need free speech to survive, but it's a human right. I have to give it to you Ivan, you ALWAYS come up with the perfect example! 🙂 I highly agree with you!
Userlevel 2
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...I would argue that Free Speech is an actual right(the ability to actively speak out against your government without fear of repercussions), where as the Internet isn't a right. If Internet was a right, it'd be free(which it isn't).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...Accessing the internet without censorship may be a basic right. Accessing it from your cellphone is not.
Userlevel 2
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...Agree with Timo's stance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does it not make more sense, to capture more guaranteed, happy, paying customers who will continu...Not everything that's a basic human right is free, save for thought and maybe air. I think that many of us can agree that things like food/drink, shelter, mobility (travel), safety, education, and healthcare are some pretty universal human rights. Not one of those things are free. I don't expect anyone to provide those for me, but I do expect that those things be available at a reasonable cost.