Koodo Community

Community

Become a fair, accountable "Partner" , Koodo.


The only reason Koodo has any business at all right now is because of the partnerships they've formed with the current carriers in Canada, especially Ontario. The thing is, the only reason why most of Canada's mobile users haven't switched to Wind or Mobilcity is because the included service area is a major issue. It's only an issue because Rogers, Bell and Telus refuse to allow them to use their spectrum cheap. The first carrier to allow Wind on their network for a reasonable fee, or to partner with rather then buy Wind by adopting it's pricing model could capture close to 100% of the market share in Ontario, mark my words. If you don't do something about this soon, if they manage to capture some 700mhz, they will literally overtake every other carrier in their service areas in a matter of 2 years. I'm only saying this to Koodo/Telus because I'm sick and tired of watching the rest of the world get services at completely reasonable prices while we get gouged for things that should be on par with the rest of the world. Mobile phone manufacturers have changed. They HATE carrier restrictions on their products and slow update times, because it causes major dissatisfaction in their customers. iPhones, Nexus devices, Motorola and Sony products will very soon (or are already) be available at cheaper then carrier retail pricing. The only edge you have is 2 year contracted device subsidy (the tab), which amounts to nothing more then thinly veiled "low risk credit" to people who have poor credit scores. On Wind, incoming texts off network are free and if you wanted to, you COULD wait to reply once you're back in a service area, or use something like hangouts or BBM. They offer CHEAPER roaming packages OUTSIDE of Canada because USA carriers are more willing to cut Wind a break then the local ones who see them as a threat. I personally don't care about off-network data much. I won't need data while I'm driving (as long as I get GPS info prior to leaving the service area it's all good.) and once I reach my destination, if I'm not in a home carrier mobile data area, I have never had trouble finding WIFI. Fortunately, most major cities (all the places I would generally go anyway) have full Wind service. Unfortunately, I have one friend in the nearby county. If I didn't have that ONE friend in the county, or if he moved, I would have nearly no reason to stay with Koodo or any other incumbent and overpriced carrier, unless my desired handset (which I always buy outright) didn't support AWS in any other country then Canada(unlikely). I realize I'm the worst customer possible for every mobile carrier in this country. I don't subsidize phones, I don't go on contracts, and I have the freedom to choose the best plan available for me whenever I want. I realize that carriers actually don't want me at all. The same goes for internet service, I won't subscribe to anyone who has less then 30mbps service and unlimited data, but, I'm willing to pay hundreds a month for it. I'm a nightmare customer and most major telecarriers of all types don't even want my business, they've proven that. Charging for something that that costs virtually nothing when it's all said and done is ridiculous. The Peering Arrangements (that the major telecarriers in this country have had since the 90's) ensure that they pay nothing but network upkeep and electricity for data. The "volume" of data is a made up figure that they all use to install a "meter" on our bills, and therefore find ways to charge us more for "overuse". Notice that as technology and compression and speeds IMPROVED, the $ per MB actually INCREASED and the caps DECREASED with no scientifically acceptable reason?!!? And the rich media we can consume on our devices via the internet has actually INCREASED IN SIZE, not decreased. We've accepted this and most of us haven't woken up to the fact that we're being scammed, or they've accepted it like me because we have almost no choice. It's either: accept the ridiculous caps and charges, or go without mobile data, which in this day and age is somewhat impossible and inconvenient. So. Partner with Wind or adopt their pricing model. Or, lose when they steamroll you.

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabilities lead to the implementation of limits.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

Show me the actual data transmission costs per MB then and show me how the system is stressed requiring overages charges to the level we have today with the current carriers. This isn't a "speed limit" this is a "consumption tax" and your comparison is invalid. I'm advocating FOR a speed limit, not against one, which is what Wind ACTUALLY DOES, only penalizing the very heavy users who exceed 5GB of data a month. At 5gb, they HALF the data speeds. If you exceed that second 5gb they greatly reduce your data speeds, but it's fast enough to receive email and MMS. By the time your month is over, it's renewed. You can purchase, for a measly $10, 5 additional gb of additional unlimited data speeds. They NEVER shut you off, and they NEVER charge you overages.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

You're the one making the accusation. The burden of proof rests on you, not me.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

I'm not making an accusation. I made a statement regarding the actual cost of data transmission (which is, in fact, near to nothing other then the maintenance costs of their servers and electricity). If they're subsidizing network infrastructure enhancement, doing it with completely variable and customer predatory pay caps is a weird way to go about it. It's like hedging your bets on paying of a giant project that the stock market will be favorable. If they justify this with infrastructure, they're doing it without knowing exactly how many of their users are going to have overages every month, or if all of them are going to throw their arms up and disable data to prevent overages. I can't imagine how many "on tab" or "on contract" customers call customer service screaming and yelling about their giant 200$ bills at the end of the month because they accidentally used netflix off wifi for an hour.
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

Keep in mind a lot of the responses you're bound to get on this board are from Koodo employees or 'mobile masters'. I think the average consumer would certainly agree that a data model similar to wind is more beneficial to the end consumrer then the cap and bill method implemented by Koodo. However, also keep in mind that Koodo is not an independent operator, it exists solely to give the illusion of 'choice' (just like Virgin, Fido, Chat-r, etc), protect the pricing structure, revenue, and profits of it's parent company.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

I'm aware of that, and because of their prepaid options (and Telus coverage), they do have a slight edge (for more money and less data), but it's not quite good enough. My month to month plan, after tax, is as close as you can get to Wind, without being stuck in one area, but with 4gb less data and a chance for overages. Unfortunately, telus also does not give you the option to shut off your mobile data when or if you exceed that cap, and I'm forced to use third party applications to keep my bill to a reasonable amount. One thing koodo has over other carriers (besides wind) is unlimited voicemail. I'm posting here, because this pricing structure is the closest without hitting the mark completely. I'm sure they could if they didn't think it would cost them buckets of overage revenue. It's too bad too, because if they could meet or beat the others out there, they would capture the market based on coverage alone, which would more then make up the difference.
Userlevel 4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

"Unfortunately, telus also does not give you the option to shut off your mobile data when or if you exceed that cap, and I'm forced to use third party applications to keep my bill to a reasonable amount." Why can't customers monitor their own usage? Why is it up to the provider to tell the customer about overages? Aside from Koodo sending notifications when the usage is close to the limit, there should be nothing else for the provider to do. Customer accountability. Straight up. Customers should take it upon themselves to find ways to stop data when they reach the limit or something close to it. Providers could care less how much data is used. If a customer wants to stream Netflix on their phone for an hour using mobile data, all the power to them. If they get overages as a result, not the provider's problem. Customer's need to start taking the initiative on this. Granted, when a new plan or service is set up, it is up to the rep/agent to explain the data coverage and potential overages. With that knowledge and the notifications Koodo sends for usage, the customer is on their own to use the data as they see fit. If it is NOT explained to them at all, there are contingencies for reps to help fix that problem. Another thing, ALL PHONES have the option to turn the data off. There should be NO need to get a 3rd party app to do so unless it is for convenience. Again, not the provider's problem. Got an issue with how the phone's software is set up? Contact the manufacturer.
Userlevel 3
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

regardless how you feel about any cenn phone company or Koodo for that matter. You're expecting a company to basically change your diaper and wipe your bum?I'm sorry but as a customer you have responsibilities! (checking your bill and useage mostly). If you choose not to be responsible and check this and you have to pay the PRICE! The bill you're liable for! What you're saying is you never take responsibility for any bill and expect every company you're with for any service to pamper you?Sorry dude your not the centre of the universe
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

Tsk, mattjs, mattjs... when on earth did you start getting the impression that 'mobile masters' - between inverted commas even - live in Koodo's pocket??? We do think and speak for ourselves, and we are not afraid to share our opinions, you must know that by now 🙂
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

I didn't say that Mobile Masters are in "koodo's pocket", Sophia. I certainly don't think that either. However, I'm pointing out to the OP that a large portion of posts on this forum come from people who generally have a positive relationship with Koodo, either through the mobile masters program, or through employment with Koodo. Given the makeup of regular posters here, keeping these relationships in mind, the OP will no doubt get some hostility with a post of this nature, he is essentially attacking the current policy after all. That's all. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

Well, I won't repeat ad nauseum what my feelings are towards Canadian carriers and their pricing. You saw the overall gist when the July apocalypse took place. I'm simply with Koodo because 1) My husband and I live in the boonies, we have no choice but to stick with the Big 3 and 2) after lots of research, humming, hawing, comparing and complaining, Koodo prepaid suits me best.
I don't think I'm a prime example of why I have a positive relationship with Koodo 😉
THAT said, I do like Koodo because the people who work for them, and my fellow mobile masters, and this community in general, give me the positive vibe and interaction that suits me 🙂

I realize this is getting off topic, but I really don't have anything to say about the OP (least of all hostile), because frankly some of it is over my head and I don't think things are that easy to change... but if his post has the desired effect, I'd be happy indeed for all parties involved 🙂
Userlevel 4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

" I do like Koodo because the people who work for them, and my fellow mobile masters, and this community in general, give me the positive vibe and interaction that suits me" That right there is why I do my best to give the best possible experience when they need help and also makes me more proud to work for this company. (No, I do not want a promotion out of this 😛 ) Thank you for that, Sophia
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

There were no speed limits on roads when cars wouldn't go more than 20 mph. Increased capabiliti...

As a Koodo rep, while I may understand the way Koodo does certain things, but no means do I agree with it(IE: The "new" tab system"). So Mattjs, please don't try and put words into our mouths that aren't they. We aren't blind employees that are "yes men". We have a mind of our own and if there is ever something that I disagree with, I will always voice my opinion on it.
Userlevel 7
I only have one thing to say: tl;dr
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

9 separated, properly punctuated, and precise paragraphs is "too long, didn't read?" I weep for our current generation's ability to debate.
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

I weep for the over-analysation of something that does not need to be over-analysed.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

I did read it, but I just couldn't be bothered to reply. You like Wind, good for you. I don't. I am tempted to try it for a month or so and see how well it would work out for me but I'll tell you one thing: no coverage in Uxbridge, a sleepy town about 20ish minutes north of Pickering. Forget Wind, people have trouble with Rogers/Fido up there. Wind, Mobilicity, etc. phones don't work or are roaming, which causes too many problems. If Wind's coverage was better and kept similar prices to what they have now then I agree it would be killer. But there has to be something that keeps it so cheap: it's obviously the network. They can't just pull the money to build more towers or license spectrum out of nowhere: it has to come from customers. Their network has to expand/grow for them to be more successful.
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

It's always been this cheap. It's this cheap because that's all they need to charge, because it's actually more then the network costs to operate. Way over half their customers pay 50$ a month. That income is guaranteed because they're not going to get people getting into the overage-can't cancel, can't afford to pay it-goes to collections snowball that other carriers end up getting eventually from a lot of customers. Those people end up getting prepaid on the same phones they couldn't afford in the first place. If you live in the GTA roaming is a non issue. The reason why koodo offers similar plans in sk/alberta is because there's Sasktel in the area that are doing exactly what Wind or someone else will do soon, once they can get on a frequency that gets better range. The problem is actually the CRTC at this point. If they cave and make sure that 700mhz have to go to new entrants, instead of the current price fixing big three, there's finally going to be fair pricing here. Maybe you should look at this map: http://www.windmobile.ca/network-and-coverage/coverage
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

You do realize, of course, that a HELL of a F****ing lot of people either do not live in the GTA or do not spend their entire lives there?
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

At last check, a little over 6 million people live in the GTA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

And a little over 20 million Canadians live outside it.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

I will never go to Wind for 1 specific reason. They lie about their "unlimited data". If you aren't going to offer "true" unlimited data, don't offer it as such.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

The fact that they don't offer service in T-bay is another good reason.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

Okay, make that 2 reasons 😛
Jonathan I wrote:

I only have one thing to say: tl;dr

Hey Myke... the data USAGE itself is truly unlimited, and they do the same thing that everyone else should be doing - SLOWING DOWN, not charging massive ammounts, to the heavy users. It's 50$ a month for unlimited everything and 5gb of full speed AWS data. Then, if you go over 5gb, they lower it to half the speed. If you do ANOTHER 5gb, they put you on like... dialup speeds. But that's 10gb of mobile data you have to crank through. Name another carrier that gives you unlimited everything and 10gb of data for less then $50 PREPAID with no contract, with the comfort in knowing that you'll never, ever exceed that because you simply CAN'T even if you wanted to. Oh right, nobody except Wind, sasktel, etc. The big three have been making it very hard for them to expand because they're a real clear and present danger to their businesses.

Reply