Koodo Community

Community

Back to School Promos?

Userlevel 5
I'm kind of disappointed to see that there aren't really Back to School promos this year. I think that Back to School promos are great and they attract tons of new customers as well as students who are in need of a cell phone. Why not have any promos this year?

16 replies

Userlevel 6
For the sake of comparison, have the other major Canadian carriers offered "Back to School" promos this year?
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

For the sake of comparison, have the other major Canadian carriers offered "Back to School" promo...

Are we merely keeping up with the competition this year, though? Were we not the trendsetters that made the other dudes sweat and earn their keep last year?
Userlevel 6
John Burke wrote:

For the sake of comparison, have the other major Canadian carriers offered "Back to School" promo...

We were, yes.... were......
Userlevel 7
John Burke wrote:

What ever happened to Koodo being a leader in change? It shouldnt merely be based on whether or not other carriers are doing it first
Userlevel 6
Not targeting Koodo specifically, but I'm guessing it's our second round of slaps across the face from our carriers, the first round being the defacing of the monthly plans to accomodate 24 months agreements..... Just my 2 cents!
Userlevel 7
I think there would have been some good back to school deals had the carriers decided not to switch over to 24 month terms... nothing needed to be changed until December 2nd but the carriers decided to be proactive about switching everything over and it got in the way of this season. Talking about trendsetting, Koodo was actually the first one to launch their CRTC compliance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I think there would have been some good back to school deals had the carriers decided not to swit...

Probably so that they didn't have to bring them in just before Christmas because now you lose out on Back to School sales but not Christmas sales right.
Jonathan I wrote:

I think there would have been some good back to school deals had the carriers decided not to swit...

I think the 24 months contract doesn't help much in terms of costs for customers. As you said, there are no promotions at all. I think they can easily over charge to make the same profit that they would've make with 36months. I know... exaggerated, but it gets my point across
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

That's exactly what they're doing is charging more to make up for being forced to make contracts or tabs a 2 year maximum. They have to make up that money somewhere to make the profits needed to expand the infrastructure and make the network better. Without expansion we will never be able to use our cell phones in the areas that don't have coverage presently.
Jonathan I wrote:

Well that gets me to another topic... no matter how much they charge it's going to take a while for them to catch up to other developed/developing countries. we simply don't have enough customers in canada to support the system's growth. other countries: you may charge $1 a month, but you have 100mil customers. canada, you charge $100 a month, you only have 1 mil customers. maybe exaggerated, but the point is.... unless they charge 3x, 4x, or even 5x what they do now... they'll never be able to catch up. so... it's a going to take a miracle for any hot promos.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

[i]" [...] it's a going to take a miracle for any hot promos." We don't need a miracle. It's just that some people need to come back down to Earth a little. Our carriers, regardless or population density, still generate billions of profits every year. I'm not talking revenue, I'm talking profit! Shareholders would be just as well off and wealthy if they let some of it go to give subscribers a little breathing room. I mean, when you rake in, say, 5 millions a year, what's $100K less? I doubt you'll be missing car payments or rent over this 😛 Anyway, we all know how finance works and we all know people want more, not less, so this will never happen and we will still pay too much. But the point was to show that what's needed is not a miracle, but a large dose of good ol' common sense.
Userlevel 1
I really hope koodo bankrupts.. It was a low price, company for the middle -low class, now it's just like the rest sharks
Userlevel 2
Andy Yue wrote:

I really hope koodo bankrupts.. It was a low price, company for the middle -low class, now it's j...

I think this direction was premeditated from the onset. Come out initially with per second billing and cheap plans to build a brand and entice customers, then once everything is established, transition to a model that's similar to Telus.
Userlevel 3
Andy Yue wrote:

I really hope koodo bankrupts.. It was a low price, company for the middle -low class, now it's j...

Well I wonder if Telus still considers the new companies a threat. Maybe they figure anyone who is going to switch has already gone, other will stay on a grandfathered plan rather than switch, and so now they can gouge the new customers. I'm trying to figure out in my head if the new prices more accurately reflect the cost of running a mobile company. Each time I come up with no - it's not like they put up double the towers or something. I doubt they are losing money on grandfathered plans just not making as much profit. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't have access to mobile companies' financial records.
Userlevel 3
Why have promos anyway rather than just having well priced plans? Here's what I imagine happens. I get a phone from Koodo with an okay plan. A month later I see a promo so I switch my plan. Then I keep that plan for two years or whatever. Is there anyone who stays with a non-promo plan at Koodo? That just seems like a waste. So on average pretty much everyone would be on some sort of promo rate. At that point is it really a promo? So I was going to keep an eye out for a good promo but I think I'd rather have really great regular plans (not seeing them at the moment unless you live in Saskatchewan or Manitoba but I suppose that is because of their incredibly high population density so it lowers costs ... Just in case someone can't recognize sarcasm that was sarcastic ... Also ironic since that is a promo rate). I don't see how keeping regular plans high and offering promos two or three times a year really benefits Koodo rather than just having great regular plans all the time. I suppose the logic is different for the.gift cards for new time customers but that already bugs me so let's not get into that ... I know regular customers get a tab benefit. I'd rather see carriers compete on plans rather than some sort of sign up incentive.
Userlevel 6
Moonmack wrote:

Why have promos anyway rather than just having well priced plans? Here's what I imagine happens....

One problem with the promos is current customers missing out on them for the sole reason that they're a bit less informed than we are around here. Not everyone lurks forums and bleeds mobile blood. These people would probably like a better plan, but they're not aware when they become available. Having consistently great plans would do so much more for loyalty than the little perks Robellus give away!