Koodo Community
Solved

apple watch SE GPS

• 5 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Does anyone know if I can tether an iphone 12 to an apple watch SE that doesn’t have LTE? I don’t want to have two separate phone/data plans but I want to text message and use the call option over Wifi if I leave my phone at home? I notice Koodo now has esim vouchers finally but wanted to make sure this is possible.

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 5 January 2021, 10:41

Does anyone know if I can tether an iphone 12 to an apple watch SE that doesn’t have LTE? I don’t want to have two separate phone/data plans but I want to text message and use the call option over Wifi if I leave my phone at home? I notice Koodo now has esim vouchers finally but wanted to make sure this is possible.

You should be able to create a hotspot on your iPhone 12 and connect it to your Apple Watch SE. However, I don’t think this is possible if you are leaving your phone at home, unless you bring another device with you that is capable of creating a hotspot for wifi connection. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209071

The other way is to get a data plan for your Apple Watch, but Koodo does not offer support for it yet, You can try to get an eSIM voucher, but it is not listed as one of the eligible devices on the Koodo network. You will likely need to switch to Telus. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should be able to create a hotspot on your iPhone 12 and connect it to your Apple Watch SE. However, I don’t think this is possible if you are leaving your phone at home, unless you bring another device with you that is capable of creating a hotspot for wifi connection. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209071

The other way is to get a data plan for your Apple Watch, but Koodo does not offer support for it yet, You can try to get an eSIM voucher, but it is not listed as one of the eligible devices on the Koodo network. You will likely need to switch to Telus. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

Badge +4

Since the Apple Watch you’re referring to does not have the cellular option, it’s not possible for the watch to act as a standalone device where you can place/receive calls or send/receive text messages while your iPhone 12 is at home and you are at work, for example. For this, you would need the GPS + Cellular version of Apple Watch SE. Koodo does not offer plans for cellular-equipped Apple Watches at this time. You would have to sign up with a carrier like TELUS that offers plans for these watches.

Do you have to have a separate plan on the apple watch SE if you get LTE? I wondered also if I could take the sim out of my iphone 12 and put it in my watch if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As was said above, Koodo doesn't offer plans for watches. I mean, theoretically it should still work if you put it in your watch, but I don't know if Koodo does a block based on imei or not. Near as I understand they do not. You'd have to see if others have reported it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you have to have a separate plan on the apple watch SE if you get LTE? I wondered also if I could take the sim out of my iphone 12 and put it in my watch if needed.

Yes, you will need to get a separate data plan for the Apple Watch SE. This is only available at certain carriers like Telus, Bell, Rogers, and Freedom, as you need to pair it up with your existing phone plan to get it to work. 

Badge +4

The Apple Watch SE GPS + Cellular is eSIM equipped, there’s no need to take the SIM card out of your iPhone 12.