Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Anybody notice the data limits on the Canada-wide Data plans have gotten really bad today?

Apparently today you would need to sign up for the $64 plan to get 1Gig of data, but yesterday you could sign up for a $52 plan and still get 1Gig of data per month. No offence, but what gives Koodo? The increase in price for the same data seems really customer "un-friendly".....

70 replies

Userlevel 3
More feed back the better. I agree with you completely. But if you have an old expired plan just leave it as is because the current plans are horrid along to go witht he horrid overage rates. Hopefully Koodo will recognize this and won't keep these plans very long.
Userlevel 6
Rocky Balboa wrote:

More feed back the better. I agree with you completely. But if you have an old expired plan just ...

The last time we had bad plans, they listened and replaced them..... with worse plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

More feed back the better. I agree with you completely. But if you have an old expired plan just ...

The one thing Koodo customers have been requesting is more data... so what do we get? Not only ever diminishing data.... but also ever increasingly horrible overages and data plans now starting at 50MB. I am the most frugal person in the world when it comes to using data and that would be cutting it fine even for my needs.... Not impressed with the new plans and disappointed Koodo doesn't stand out any longer except for prepaid... now when are they going to butcher that too 😞
Userlevel 6
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Absolutely! I mean, 50MBs a month is like 1.6MB per DAY, yes, per day. Stuff that would fit on an old 3.5" floppy, every day, for you to enjoy! And they better not bring out the argument of higher priced phones to justify the future butchering of prepaid...
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Maybe they will raise the BYOD discount to 30% or something to compensate for the higher plans? I'm not holding my breath though ...
Userlevel 6
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Don't count on discounts of any sort. The carriers' goal is to lock in as many people as possible on monthly plans WITH subsidies (so they can't leave on a whim unless able to financially cover buying out their subsidy). What I expect (but don't want) is this: pricier phones will be offered, for even less money upfront (thanks, future larger tabs!), with really really bad plans. Humans are known to make irrational decisions (I'm a sinner too) and the sparkle of a brand new $750 iPhone for $250 up front is often too tempting to resist. Then, 3-4 months later, you realize you can't afford that bill anymore, but buying out the phone is even costlier, so you suck it up and continue paying too much money for a plan that doesn't suit you. This is the model the carriers are going for. A guaranteed revenue stream coming in steadily every month. And for the few who default on their payments, they sell the debt to collection agencies and spread the related expenses on the next round of plan updates so future customers can foot the bill. It's really a wonder why so few people buy their own phones and force the carriers to compete on the plans they offer instead of acting like smaller banks and giving out phone loans. I mean, imagine for a second no one buying phones through carriers... What is there left for them to try to get people to sign? Yup, better (even good!) plans!
Rocky Balboa wrote:

This has been going on for years. You basically told us what we already know. As for your last paragraph, the answer is simple. Most humans want the latest technology, they want it now and they don't care that they put most of the price on a subsidy, just as long as they get the latest version of that phone. As long as this mindset stays, carriers will always prosper from what they are doing now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

^ As likewise, we consumers will maintain the status quo by continuing to complain... hoping against better judgement than something will improve one day 😛
Logged onto the "Community" hoping to start a conversation on this topic, only to find that someone else beat me to it (and for that I'm glad). I'm the type of person who updates themselves on the costs of these phone plans multiple times a week, hoping to snag some sort of Double Data (or other) deal for the lines that I've recently added onto my plan... only to find the base prices steadily increasing (and no more double data). It's super disappointing. I almost can't believe my eyes. Guess I have to stop referring my friends and family to Koodo now, because I don't have a reason to anymore...I can't really justify them paying this much for the service I'm getting. It's good...but not amazing.
Userlevel 3
Alex wrote:

Logged onto the "Community" hoping to start a conversation on this topic, only to find that some...

My 2 cents is if Koodo sees a bad churn rate (more people leaving then people signing up) Maybe action will be taken on this. In a way, I am not too fond of promoting these plans. I guess more reason to soft shop elsewhere.
Userlevel 5
Alex wrote:

Logged onto the "Community" hoping to start a conversation on this topic, only to find that some...

Fido changed to the exact same plans, and Virgin most likely will soon if they haven't already. So its not like Koodo is the only one, although I know that doesn't make it any better.
Userlevel 2
Alex wrote:

So why pick Koodo then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alex wrote:

To many people, Koodo is the least of all evils, James 🙂 It's like picking whether you want to be shot, or electrocuted, lol!
Userlevel 3
Alex wrote:

Why pick Koodo? I think some of us have decent older plans, some like the current prepaid offerings, and some find that there is not really better options elsewhere. I still think the no Canadian long distance charges is fantastic but I was hoping to see plans steadily improve, not move backwards. I figured the mobile companies would offer better rates than the past but people would use more services which would balance out for their revenues (eg voice getting cheap and data coming along). That was happening for a while - I'm not a big fan of a cheap phone if I have to pay through the nose for a plan to use said phone.
Userlevel 7
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Just noticed the change now... I was about to get a friend of mine on Koodo but I definitely will not be recommending something else now. This is one of the biggest drastic changes I've seen since the launch of the 2 year terms.
Ahmad wrote:

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Just noticed the change now... I was about to get a friend of mine on ...

I had made a topic about this a month or 2 ago, so this is no surprise to me.
Ahmad wrote:

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Just noticed the change now... I was about to get a friend of mine on ...

Honestly Ahmad, comparing the plans still to companes like Bell and Rogers, Koodo is a better deal by far. ($75 for 500MB Unlimited nationwide calling on Bhell / $60 500MB 1000 Canada-Wide minutes on Robbers) I'll stick with what I got...Unlimited canada wide calling, 2GB, $60
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

I'm not comparing old plans to what the big 3 offer now. Of course people are going to keep their old plans but I'm talking about going forward. I'm comparing the new plans offered by Koodo to what they used to offer as now they're ridiculously more expensive
Userlevel 5
The biggest difference with these plans is that the promos ended, the plans did lose a little and go up a couple dollars. But if there is one big stand out thing it was that the extra data on plans went away. Im sure it will come back again, but who knows when. Fido just made pretty much the exact same changes, which means Virgin will most likely copy it all right away (if they haven't already). Am I thrilled with the changes? No Do I think the sky is falling? No
Userlevel 7
Virgin has kept their plans the way they are, for the time being... Koodo should do the same.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

Virgin has kept their plans the way they are, for the time being... Koodo should do the same.

Virgin will match, almost guaranteed. They are just as hungry for the extra money as any other business.
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

Like any mobility company they are gouging their consumers more and more because they can get away with it because consumers are willing to pay premium rates for their cell phone services. Canada has the highest cell phone rates in the world so why would cell phone companies drop in pricing if consumers will continue to pay for it? Nothing can be done from a consumers end unless to soft shop elsewhere for a better deal. Even so, good luck finding a cheaper plan now a days.
Userlevel 1
Oligopoly power, oligopoly pricing. The more people want data, the more you will be paying per MB, not because they need to, but simply because they can. There were no surprises today, I expect it will only get worse since it always does. I find it interesting how Fido and Koodo did this on the same day. Coincidence I'm sure.
Userlevel 3
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

Oligopoly power, oligopoly pricing. The more people want data, the more you will be paying per...

Coincidence?or partnership?lol
Userlevel 6
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

Oligopoly power, oligopoly pricing. The more people want data, the more you will be paying per...

Thank you WOW! Mobile...