Koodo Community

Community

Solved

An auxiliary cell number to replace landline

Userlevel 1
I pay more than $50/month for a land line that I don't use. This includes a package that contains caller display and voicemail, and a long distanc eplan. Rather than providing utility, my plan simply provides another way for phone spammers to harass me. Therefore, I actively avoid answering calls on the landline. The only thing it is good for is give out to businesses, and if they happen to call legitimately, I can retrieve messages from the voicemail (after sifting through all the spam calls). I feel that I need such a line to hand out to businesses because (I suspect) it is via businesses that my phone info gets onto caller lists. By no means is it the only way, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the due diligence of the typical corporation. The help desk of my landline provider was kind enough to suggest inquiring with my wireless carrier about getting an auxiliary phone number for my account. Instead of paying for a landline, I can use the auxiliary cell number as my decoy phone number. I might even be able to transfer my current landline to the wireless carrier for that purpose. I haven't been able to find such a service in the Koodo Addons or Koodo Plans. Would this boil down to getting a 2nd Koodo account? If so, my incentive would be less worthwhile there is overhead associated with going without a landline. I believe the overhead is in the order of $10 to get DSL over the phone line when there is no landline account.

13 replies

Userlevel 1
P.S. I find it disturbing that in order to access this forum, we now need to give offline access to "Get Satisifaction". For me, this pretty well means contacting Koodo directly, which carries with it a cost. It's really kind of peeving me off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
andymhancock wrote:

P.S. I find it disturbing that in order to access this forum, we now need to give offline access...

I have not had to give offline access. Can you clarify?

Userlevel 1
andymhancock wrote:

P.S. I find it disturbing that in order to access this forum, we now need to give offline access...

In order to post, I was asked to log in with one of 3 possible accounts. I believe it was Google, and the other two I can't remember. One might have been facebook, but I really don't recall. When I select to log in with Google, it threw up a box that said Get Satisfaction requests offline access to your info. I did not see an option to forgo that. I don't know the exact recipe for getting around that, but I do remember going right back to the Koodo homepage and trying to log in. I may also have tried to login a few times on the forum. Basically random trial and error, and eventually, I was not asked about offline access. Maybe I was, and I inadvertently gave it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
andymhancock wrote:

Creating a Get Satisfaction login will be independent of the confirmations required if you use Google, or Facebook. Either of those other routes require Get Satisfaction confirm your identity with the service provider of the login.
Userlevel 1
andymhancock wrote:

Sorry, I don't follow what you mean by "independent of the confirmstions required". Other places (sites) use my Google identity, but they don't ask for offline access to my information. Are you familiar with what offline access means? As far as I know, it can mean whatever the 3rd party wants it to mean.
Userlevel 1
andymhancock wrote:

It just did it again right now, and I had to try multiple times to sign in to avoid it. In any case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, you would have to open a second Koodo line / account. You could port your current landline number to a VoIP service and answer it anywhere you like: cellphone, landline, the vacation rental you have for the week in St. Moritz, etc.

I pay about $20/mo for my landline. Plus $6 for long distance. You may want to review your landline costs with your provider.

Userlevel 1
I already talked to my landline provider, who recommended that I explore the possibility of a secondary number with my cell provider. The landline package doesn't get any cheaper if I want a package that includes voicemail. I pay just a bit more for a long distance plan, but that use that plan even with my cell phone. I guess I'll look into VOIP. There aren't that many options in the capital of Canada. There might be if want to go with an unknown provider -- it's been quite some times since I last explored the options. Thanks for your info. I'd like to leave this thread unanswered for a while to see what other info pops up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
andymhancock wrote:

I already talked to my landline provider, who recommended that I explore the possibility of a sec...

You have far more choices than I do, if you live in a large population centre.
Userlevel 1
andymhancock wrote:

I already talked to my landline provider, who recommended that I explore the possibility of a sec...

You're probably right. It still boils down to vetting the options, and unknowns are difficult to find info on. (Canada ISP is one source of info)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cheap option: port your landline to CallCentric (VoIP). You can then forward those incoming calls to any number in North America for the price of the minutes used (under 2 cents a minute) or send them to Voicemail. Call display, simultaneous ringing or hunting all included. Sophisticated call blocking and handling features, especially nice robocall/telemarketer block. If you install a SIP (VoIP router) on your line, you can use a standard landline handset to call anywhere in NorthAmerica at the per minute rate. Will set you back about $9 a month for light usage. Requires a cable or DSL internet connection, which you will probably have anyway to be able to use wifi. I give my VoIP number out to all my contacts, and get calls automatically forwarded to wherever I am, in Canada or the US.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Cheap option: port your landline to CallCentric (VoIP). You can then forward those incoming calls...

And, best of all, CallCentric is but one of many competing in this space. There are many options at varied price points to select from.
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Cheap option: port your landline to CallCentric (VoIP). You can then forward those incoming calls...

Cool. Will follow up by looking into the options, and keeping an eye open for the above features. It won't be in the near term, but I have these details on my radar now. Thanks.