Koodo Community
Solved

Additional data is exorbitantly expensive. Why is it so hard to upgrade to a better plan?

• 28 August 2020
  • 4 replies

My current plan is reasonable, but I would like to upgrade it to more data. I always bring my own device, so I have no interest in paying for a tab or towards a device upgrade.

Today I ran out of data. I need to reactivate my data, but Koodo is asking $22 for 1GB. That is eye-wateringly expensive. I get that Koodo needs to make a profit but that’s way, way too much for 1GB - let’s not pretend otherwise.

What can I do to adjust my plan so I have more data, but without paying more per GB than I currently do? None of the existing tab offers are better value per GB than my current plan, and I don’t want to ‘upgrade’ to a worse value plan.

I’ve read the website, searched Google, and wasted 10 minutes with the chatbot.

icon

Best answer by Bernard Koodo 28 August 2020, 22:41

@AlpineJoe  You have a  promo plan from  some time ago. Very few people have that. Between your plan and your data add-on you pay $50 for 10gb.  If you upgrade your device you can switch to a $55 11gb promo plan now.  You get 1gb for just $5 more bucks. You could also consider TELUS as they have a promo now for unlimited data. $75 month gets you 20gb non-throttled data, after that data speeds are slowed down but still very usable.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@AlpineJoe  You have a  promo plan from  some time ago. Very few people have that. Between your plan and your data add-on you pay $50 for 10gb.  If you upgrade your device you can switch to a $55 11gb promo plan now.  You get 1gb for just $5 more bucks. You could also consider TELUS as they have a promo now for unlimited data. $75 month gets you 20gb non-throttled data, after that data speeds are slowed down but still very usable.

Cheers @Bernard Koodo. My plan is reasonable as I said, but $22/GB for additional is certainly not. If Koodo can’t offer a plan which matches my requirements, I will take a look at TELUS and competitors. No interest in acquiring a device from Koodo (or any network provider), as I always bring my own device. I don’t want to pay money towards a device upgrade I don’t want or need, and I definitely don’t intend to keep paying $22/GB.

Appreciate the answer, @nim4165. That’s not really enough data for me, but as I didn’t give details, you couldn’t have known that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@AlpineJoe Totally understood. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Actually the price for 1GB is $15. That is the secret of the digital assistant.. This add-on is a recurring add-on so customer need to remove it (if he/she doesn’t need extra data for the next month).