Koodo Community

YIKES! data usage freaky - something is wrong (data usage is higher than usual)

• 4 November 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2

What’s going on???
I got a “50% of your data is used up” just a few days into the cycle. But the data is weird! 
I rarely use more than 3-5 gb per cycle *total* (of 10gb), but the past 3 days shows some really unusual “usage” blips that I can’t figure out.
I do not tether my wifi , so it’s not that.
I have not made big video calls at those times.
And the numbers are just way too clean - perfect round numbers.
How can I tell what is causing this data usage leak?

I have most settings set to help data (no background refresh etc)

I think something is stealing data????
Thanks! Concerned I’ll run out when it’s not my doing!l

examples: 

Oct 31:

100.0000 mb 7:42 pm

300.0000 mb 8:58 pm

100.0000 mb 10:35 pm

(its usually #s like 27.2031, or 5.5238 or 0.0068…)

Nov 2:

1,300.0000 mb 5:38 pm  (!!!??????)

seriously  most whole days (for years now) is just average 80.0000 mb to max (hi use) of 269.0000

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone do you have?

If Wi-Fi Assist (iPhone) or some form of Adaptive Wi-Fi (Android) is enabled, this would allow data to be used when your phone is not in range or loses connection to Wi-Fi.

It’s believed that when there is a large collection of smaller data usage amounts like 0.0068 the total is rounded off to the number nearest to 100 MB, 300MB, 500 MB or higher.

To see which apps are consuming data on iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular and check which apps are using the most data. On the same page, scroll to the very bottom to verify whether Wi-Fi Assist is enabled or not.

On Android, this is usually found under Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage - an app list is usually displayed here with data usage amounts.   

Userlevel 2

Thank you so much. It’s an iphone 11

1. yes I have wifi assist on, but I always have and never saw weird numbers like this, and given the time stamps, they make no sense, I was at home doing regular browsing. The numbers are just weirdly clean…
  2. thanks, checked what’s using data, nothing different from other months… Facebook, instagram, and not crazy numbers
  3. I can’t make sense of it - I think something weird is happening. No huge updates that I see. 

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Also not this:

Userlevel 2

Coincidentally (?) just got this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you had or do you have a TELUS account?

TELUS is the parent company of Koodo. If you have a TELUS account, I would recommend securing that account.

---

So the smaller values in the kilobyte (kb) and (mb) range are likely numbers that were rounded off to full numbers. There is a fair amount of data usage within the first six apps + system services which appears to coincide with the 5.5 GB of data usage. One app that sticks out is Reface where data was off, yet consumed 960 MB of data. It should be noted that Wi-Fi is not foolproof. It’s possible that while you may have thought you were connected to Wi-Fi, you may have been using cellular data the entire time.

Userlevel 2

Thanks. I had turned cellular off reface *after* I saw the usage, so I’m not worried about a wifi/cellular breach there.

yes I had Telus before, I can secure it, but as a parent company, it still pops up as a password fill even when using Koodo sites.

I still do not trust those data spike numbers that are huge and pure rounded 0000s. They’ve never appeared like that before, at weird time’s when I’m not doing anything, no messenger calls at those times, and I still dont see how I’m suddenly over 5.5gb in 10 days when i rarely get over 3gb in a whole month.

I see messenger has a clump, I use it for chat videos. But nothing unusual this month, and I was not on any calls at the times of those spikes.

So I really don’t know how to avoid an overage at this rate, yet I’m not doing anything different…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks. I had turned cellular off reface *after* I saw the usage, so I’m not worried about a wifi/cellular breach there.

yes I had Telus before, I can secure it, but as a parent company, it still pops up as a password fill even when using Koodo sites.

I still do not trust those data spike numbers that are huge and pure rounded 0000s. They’ve never appeared like that before, at weird time’s when I’m not doing anything, no messenger calls at those times, and I still dont see how I’m suddenly over 5.5gb in 10 days when i rarely get over 3gb in a whole month.

I see messenger has a clump, I use it for chat videos. But nothing unusual this month, and I was not on any calls at the times of those spikes.

So I really don’t know how to avoid an overage at this rate, yet I’m not doing anything different…

The simplest solution is to turn off Wi-Fi Assist and cellular data. Use Wi-Fi whenever possible and use data only when you absolutely have to. I get it. It’s more convenient to have data on all the time, but if you want to conserve data, that’s the best way to do it.

Userlevel 2

Thanks.

I do not consider that a simple solution though.

I have been using data for years.  I expect it to be seamless, that’s why I pay for 10gb.

this is an anomaly that needs explaining to avoid.  

it is unacceptable to just “don’t  use it” when my usage has been steadily the same for eons. 

Something is amiss and needs explaining. 

unless I have to go elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks.

I do not consider that a simple solution though.

I have been using data for years.  I expect it to be seamless, that’s why I pay for 10gb.

this is an anomaly that needs explaining to avoid.  

it is unacceptable to just “don’t  use it” when my usage has been steadily the same for eons. 

Something is amiss and needs explaining. 

unless I have to go elsewhere.

I was referring to avoiding an overage. I’m seeing an approximate total of 4 GB of data usage in the first five apps (not including system services). Data usage was just higher this month than previous months, your screenshot(s) provide proof of this. The rounded off full numbers are common, we’ve seen it here many times before. I’ll see if an official rep can shed some light on this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Moogie 

We’ve sent you a PM, as we’d need some additional details, feel free to check it out when you are able to. Thanks! 

Userlevel 2

(thanks also to rikkster - good to know about the numbers, and for the referral) 

Userlevel 2

Update:
Koodo rep (voice chats) can only see THAT data was used, not WHAT used it.
So they sent me off to Apple.

1st level Apple rep only sees what I see, a broad stroke of “this app used 1.2 gb data in the current period”, but that’s not enough data to interpret what’s going on. We KNOW both Apple and the apps are collecting reams of minutia of data (what time, what app, what data), so how do we get access to it? I’d really like to see when and why two apps are suddenly using 5 times the amount of data in two days than the past 4 years.  No luck so far. Pissed that I may now be faced with going back to the old days of switching data on and off out of fear, 10 gb has been 4 times as much as I’ve needed for years. 
Second level Senior Advisor: we ran system diagnostics tests. Nada. All “looks good”. Can’t send me the file.

A few things:
1) messenger video calls. If the VIEWER of the call is using hi rez video like 4G, it can PULL/seek/demand higher rez video from my call, making a data usage higher for that call (if not on wifi). Annoying. My settings are “best available video quality based on my internet speed” which should be fine.
2) No idea why instagram would spike 1gb mostly one afternoon when just scrolling. He suggests uninstalling and reinstalling these apps. 
3) He says the app providers should or could have data or info. Not a chance I’ll get any answers from the Meta corp. 
4) no, Apple is not providing better data such as exactly what app used what data at what time. Just the broad "this current period". 
5) I will switch "Low Data Mode" on, witch "helps reduce cellular data usage. When Low Data Mode is turned on, automatic updates and background tasks, such as Photos syncing, are paused". He suggested that should help with video call data usage as well, though I'm concerned it will mean lousier video images.

So, my behaviour is affected, I need to adjust my actions, my settings, my data useage, for unknown undiagnosed unsolved reasons. Not happy with that. Data grabs are annoying.

Thanks all for any thoughts and tips provided.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When was the last time your data statistics on your iPhone were reset? This can help target an offending app if the issue happens again reletovely soon. 

In the past I've had gifs that have gotten stuck loading and it's chewed up several GB of Data in hours. 

Userlevel 2

Hey Thanks! I tend to reset stats on the koodo cycle monthly. So this was about 10 days in. The koodo system shows spikes on a few days, namely Nov 2 & 3. Good to know about the gifs being stuck, I’ll watch for that!
It really looks like it was Meta crap: instagram (1 gb) and Messenger (1.2 gb) over a few days. Have switched them off data for now, though need messenger data when out. Will keep an eye out for the next while, dissappointing as my people like messenger for video chats. Sigh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Honestly 1gb for messenger does seem high for 10 days compared to my own usage. But if you are out doing video calls, that might explain it. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks. The spike was over 2 days, so super duper high, which is why I’m perplexed and trying to find answers. We KNOW those companies are keeping reams of data, like who used what app when, but no one can give me any. Koodo bumped me to Apple, Apple is bumping me to Meta. Like that’s gonna happen. But I will keep an eye out now.