Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Wind Mobile vs the Big 3 MVNO

Userlevel 4
Looking at the prices that Wind is offering and it's almost 1/3 of the cost that the Big 3 has to offer, 5Gb data and unlimited call &  text for $40. They also still contribute to paying you phone off, like Koodos old Tab system. Of course, even with recent investment made by Shaw, reception still seems to be one of the biggest complaints that Wind customers are having. I've read where Wind will be switching to a LTE by the end of the year, so it looks like it's slowly improving. Remember when Koodo had growing pains?

Do you guys think prices will start coming down as Wind starts to improve, or more likely, Wind prices will start to go up?

Is it a good time to lock yourself in at the cheaper prices and suffer with the growing pains in hope the it will pay off at the end?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If Wind starts to seriously threaten the Big 3's market share, their prices will decrease - but not match.

Wind will increase prices, but not by much.

Only you can answer your last question. Give it a try and see if it works for you now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Buy and try. Like you said, all of the major complaints with Wind have to do with call quality and reception. You just have to take a look at their coverage map to see that native coverage is very limited, relying heavily on partner connections in other areas.

If it works for you, and your current data requirements are not excessive go for it. Be aware that Shaw is not known to be shy to raise prices. Other carriers probably won't sit up and take notice until Shaw is in a position to offer full LTE and strong in-house bundling the way that Bell and Rogers can. In the meantime, there may be an opportunity for some folks to fall between the cracks and profit.
Userlevel 7
If you never leave an area of Wind coverage, go for it. But if you travel across the country a lot, you might want to hold off. It will take a long time before Wind is capable of offering the same king of network coverage that the big 3 offer. I don't think prices will go down by all that much, they already make no sense with their pricing strategies so why would they change that now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No, I really don't remember a time when koodo had "growing pains", as you call them. They launched on the telus network, so they've had nationwide coverage some day one. They have also been at or near the top of the list for customer satisfaction since day one. Wind was launched in 2009 and is still at the top of the list in terms of customer complaints.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I too do not recall growing pains for Koodo. Shaw only just acquired Wind and there's already noticeable improvements but even a few billion dollars will only build out a network so quickly. They have managed to already negotiate better roaming with their 45/60 plans. If you will be in away zone often then it's a good deal still. Shaw already publicly stated that prices will go up but not as high as Big 3, whatever the final amounts will be who knows. I always hope that they will be Canada's T-Mobile USA.