Koodo Community
Solved

Will Koodo support non-VoLTE capable phones for the foreseeable future?

• 17 September 2020
  • 12 replies

My wife and I both have the Moto G3 phone, which does not support VoLTE.

My wife’s carrier is Telus and she has been receiving notices that her phone will not be supported in the near future and has been forced to get a new phone with VoLTE compatibility.

I am with Koodo and have not received any such notices. Given that Koodo is a subsidiary of Telus, do I need to be worried? Will my phone not be supported on the Koodo network in the near future?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Ranjan Koodo 17 September 2020, 14:47

Our HSPA network in Manitoba will indeed be migrated to VoLTE by early next year.
There are initiatives underway to notify customers impacated by this change to either a) make customers aware of how they can avoid any service interruption by leveraging VoLTE on their phones (if the device is compatible), or b) upgrade to a new VoLTE compatible device, if your device isn’t equipped. 

If you’re impacted by this @purplex8 , you will be notified with details on your options.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@srlawren - my apologies. Somehow this completely flew under my radar.

There’s a fairly extensive number of non-Koodo devices and models that would still be compatible with the network; you can review them here: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte 

If you find yourself in possession of a device not covered in that list, it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t have any service, but rather that it may be inconsistent, i.e. you may experience reduced indoor voice coverage, but data speeds should remain unaffected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Ranjan Koodo does this mean that Koodo will open up VoLTE provisioning to VoLTE-capable non-Koodo/non-Telus devices?  Granted I live in BC, but what if I want to travel to Winnipeg to visit family after the switch (and of course after life starts returning more to normal)?  I would expect to still be able to make and receive phone calls without being forced into a specific Koodo-approved phone when mine is quite capable.

@Dennis Thank you for your excellent explanations. I appreciate your time.

@Ranjan Koodo Thank you for the official answer

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Our HSPA network in Manitoba will indeed be migrated to VoLTE by early next year.
There are initiatives underway to notify customers impacated by this change to either a) make customers aware of how they can avoid any service interruption by leveraging VoLTE on their phones (if the device is compatible), or b) upgrade to a new VoLTE compatible device, if your device isn’t equipped. 

If you’re impacted by this @purplex8 , you will be notified with details on your options.

Does this mean by next year any shared roaming agreements with MTS will end and gaps in the network will be opened again without VoLTE?

Is this a gradual transition or an immediate flip of the switch?

Will non koodo/telus phones be able to activate VoLTE then?

I would expect a slower gradual transition so those who might have gotten a new phone recently (but without the VoLTE feature) may not be able to properly afford another new phone so soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you’re impacted by this @purplex8 , you will be notified with details on your options.

Badge +4

Here’s an interesting article on the expansion of TELUS into Manitoba back in April 2017, following BCE’s acquisition of MTS. An excerpt from this announcement reads:

“New and existing TELUS and Koodo customers will enjoy a significantly enhanced network in more places across Manitoba. As the result of a broader network sharing agreement between TELUS and Bell, customers of both companies will access the same high quality and reliable 4G LTE coverage. In addition, TELUS has made significant investments in wireless technology and infrastructure to further enhance the reliability, speed, functionality and reach of its world-leading 4G LTE network”.

TELUS finalizes deal to expand its wireless business in Manitoba

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah you are in Manitoba.

So Telus’ network in Manitoba is limited and relied on MTS for most of Manitoba, even along the Trans-Canada highway and even in some parts of Winnipeg.  It looks like Telus is building an LTE network in those areas instead of expanding their 3G network.  This means in those rural Manitoba areas that relied on MTS, you may not get talk/text service without VoLTE if Telus chooses to end their roaming arrangeement with MTS.  This will impact Koodo when the time comes as well.

However I do not think Telus will drop those roaming agreements right away and this is just the start of encouraging those to use newer VoLTE phone when they do decide to end those agreements.  I would expect a phase in approach over a couple of years, so you will likely have plenty of time to upgrade phones or if you are mainly in Winnipeg like me, it is unlikely you will notice a difference.

@nim4165 Thank you for that link, very slick

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Any limitation would be artificial if it's a technically capable phone. I am surprised to see that. All I've seen is potential volte problems with the last major android update for the g3. It could be on some technicality like that they said that. Honestly. I'd just wait and see if here end up being any problems.

@Dennis Thank you for the quick reply, here is the notice:

Userlevel 7

There were no official koodo notices regarding a new requirement for VoLTE compatibility.  The current phone compatibility tool  https://mobility.telus.com/devicecompatibilitycheck/deviceCheck.do;jsessionid=4CuZjudtGReHG1B7xSKUTTqVB9WsAv_oVd1sFEqKyRRrbwsvixHg!-1843854126 will tell you that your G3 is compatible with the network based on your phone IMEI [Dial *#06# to get your phone’s IMEI]. The tool may be updated in the future to reflect future network changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you post a copy of the notice for us to see? 

I have not heard about this and would be extremely surprised. I did a quick google search and did not see anything about this either