Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will I get charged for texting a US number if they are in Canada?

Will I get charged for texting a US number if they are in Canada?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Rebecca, Most Koodo plans come with international text messaging that will allow you to text any US phone number at no extra charge. Even tho the US number is currently is Canada, it would still count as texting someone in the US but you should not have to worry about that if you have international text messaging in your plan. You can verify that in self serve, under phone services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
However you may want to ask the US party if they want to receive texts while they are in Canada... they may encounter roaming fees from their provider.
Sophia wrote:

However you may want to ask the US party if they want to receive texts while they are in Canada.....

Very few providers in the world charge fees for incoming texts while roaming.
As far as I know Koodo/TELUS was the only Canadian provider to charge a fee ($0.60 !!!) for each incoming text while roaming. #FairForCanada 😉
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

However you may want to ask the US party if they want to receive texts while they are in Canada.....

Koodo does not charge for incoming texts while you are roaming.
Sophia wrote:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+"was"
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

So why even bring it up?
Sophia wrote:

Did you read Sophia's comment? She seems to think that it is a common thing that cellphone providers do.
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

With so many different providers in the US, it's hard to keep up as to who charges what for who. Sophie's answer is nothing but helpful, we have no clue if the US party's provider charges or not, and it brings a very valid point to ask first not to rack up his friend's bill unknowingly.
Sophia wrote:

Did I say her comment is not helpful? "She seems to think that it is a common thing that cellphone providers do." and I'm telling her that only the truly greedy ones do it. (this post will probably get deleted by a Mod) You are the one who can't even see that I wrote "was" and then drag this conversation for no reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Sophia made a very good point in suggesting that the o.p. check with their friend as roaming charges might apply. Your statement that very few providers charge for incoming text messages is the exact opposite of helpful, as it encourages them not to worry about this possibility since you consider it unlikely. Unless you know for certain, please don't encourage people not to worry about fees.