Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will getting a LTE phone reuire a different sim card?

So I have currently been using the Nexus S from Koodo. Before that I had a nokia phoen from koodo that was also 3g , so I have been using the same sim card since. I just purchased an unlocked HTC One X. I have been told I can cut the sim card down so it will fit, but I am not sure if I will get 4g or lte with that sim card. Also it is an older HSPA sim card so the bronze metal part on the card is bigger than the metal on the new ones, if not sure if there is a difference between those though. Also so if I get a micro sim, can I buy it from futureshop? And would it cost me anything to use that new sim card, liek activating it or something?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
I can only answer some of your questions Yes i think you can buy a sim at future shop or on Koodo's website. The cost is ten dollars You can transfer your service to the new sim for free by using self serve our allowing a kiosk to do it for you. If you call in to Koodo and have a rep do it they charge thirtyfive dollars.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

I can only answer some of your questions Yes i think you can buy a sim at future shop or on...

Hi Chad, the fee would be $25 🙂
I suggest you buy a microsim, I've cut my regular sized sim cards before to fit my iPhone 5 and it doesnt receive 4G/LTE. It works for the iPhone 4 on the 3G network. The older cards are coded differently so the phone doesn't know how to access the newer networks. If you cut the card properly the size of the bronze pins shouldn't have an effect but there is more room for error, if you cut too far into the center of the pins you could potentially render the card useless and be force to buy a microsim anyways.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
- wrote:

I suggest you buy a microsim, I've cut my regular sized sim cards before to fit my iPhone 5 and i...

Ya I cut my old regular sized SIM Card & didn't cut into the metal contacts at all, there's like a mm all the way around the metal contacts. I haven't had any issues but I do recommend getting an actual New Micro SIM from a Kiosk or retailer.
Userlevel 7
If your sim card is that old, you will probably need a new one to get LTE