Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will a non returned phone still have service?

Userlevel 3
Does anyone know if I don't send in my broken phone to the insurance company,can I still use it? It still works but the back glass is cracked! I know I'll have to pay a $225 fee for not returning it but will it be "blacklisted" or something.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curious where your seeing that you can keep the broken device and get a new one under extended warranty and just pay $225?
Userlevel 3
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Curious where your seeing that you can keep the broken device and get a new one under extended wa...

Sorry! I'll explain better Paul... I bought a new galaxy s6 and dropped and cracked the back glass right up the back.I had insurance and they sent me a new one. It says that if the broken phone isn't shipped back to the insurance that there's a fee of $225.00 for not returning it.(fee is based on a 3 tier system and I'm assuming the S6 is top tier so I'd be charged the highest amount which is $225) But the phone still works and I'm wondering if I don't send it back and pay the $225 non-returned fee,will I still be able to use the phone? Hope that clears it up a little.
Userlevel 7

Curious where your seeing that you can keep the broken device and get a new one under extended wa...

Good question! however you should definetly call the insurance company themselves and ask. Only they will know for sure. I could see either happening. I cant see them being legally allowed to blacklist it after taking a fee for it
Userlevel 3

Yeah exactly Ahmad!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where are you reading this information your speaking about, the $225 cost of an unreturned device?
Userlevel 3

It's in my insurance providers documents. If I don't send in the damaged S6 within 45 days I'll be charged a no return fee.
Userlevel 7

Paul, you're asking like you're shocked that there's a fee. Why WOULDN'T there be?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No I'm shocked that the fee is so small I mean your basically getting 2 phones for the price of 1 and a 3rd so why wouldn't everyone do this, something doesn't add up. I know with Bell it was $500 if the phone was not returned for a premium device and $250 for a entry level type device so $245 seems ridiculously low. Also I was under the impression Koodo's extended warranty didn't cover lost or stolen phones only damaged ones and that you'll be on the hook for the entire cost of another device if you decide not to return the damaged one. Like I said if it's only $245 then why wouldn't everyone be doing this and just saying the first one was damaged and getting a second one and third one for $245, something doesn't add up here.
Userlevel 3

I agree Paul.I had the exact same thoughts.Seems a little strange and too good to be true kinda thing! I tried calling them earlier but they aren't open on the weekends.I'll call eSecuritel on Monday and get the facts. I've read and re-read the warranty and assuming the S6 is tier 3,then I only pay them $225.00 and that's it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

They will only provide a replacement twice during the life of the warranty, which makes sense. The "damaged" phone is probably subject to at least a grey list (see below). To return to the car insurance analogy, that wreck can never be rebuilt and then sold other than with an inspection by the authorities and probably with a salvage title. In cell phone equivalence, the IMEI might bark if someone tries to register it anywhere. I have to agree that the surrender fee seems very low, not even covering the wholesale cost of the phone.

gerry did you figure out about your non returned phone? was it still working with koodo????
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To side step... you can either relinquish the "wrecked car" and accept the settlement for the new one, in which case the insurance company now owns the wreck, or you can pay the salvage value of the "wrecked car" and you then own both. Just be aware that no one will ever be able to file an insurance claim on that wreck again, whatever you do, so it will be at least on a "grey" list. No reason why you couldn't put another SIM into it or use it as an MP3 player if you really think it's worth that much to you.
Userlevel 3
Thanks BobTheElectrician! Sums it up pretty easily! So,here is the reason I was asking... I was going to give it to my bro,who is also with Koodo,if he pays the $225.00 no return fee.But I just needed to know if it'll work when he puts his simcard in it.Which it obviously do if I can put mine in it.But when the 45 days pass and I pay the no return fee,WILL it continue to work then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

Thanks BobTheElectrician! Sums it up pretty easily! So,here is the reason I was asking... I was...

If he has a valid SIM and the fee is paid, that phone should work forever with his SIM. He maintains his plan and phone number. If the fee is not paid at all, which I realize you are NOT suggesting, then you are open to insurance fraud accusations. The phone will probably still work for a bit or until someone tries to register a new SIM with it and the IMEI pops up. Seems like a big "pain-in-the-glass". You should ask the insurance people what their policy is, since you obviously intend to pay them what they are asking for the wreck.
Userlevel 3
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

Thanks BobTheElectrician! Sums it up pretty easily! So,here is the reason I was asking... I was...

Hhahahha "pain in the glass" I like it,very funny! And yes,if I decide to keep the S6,i'll pay them the "wreck" fee! Thanks BobTheElectrician,you've been a big help! Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

It wouldn't be insurance fraud as he claimed the phone was damaged, not stolen. It would be insurance fraud if he claimed it was stolen, but he actually had it still.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you check the FAQ, the deadline for returning the "wreck" and being dinged with the fee is [i]15 days, not 45. http://extendedwarranty.koodomobile.com/en-ca/#FAQ [b]What does the subscriber do with a damaged phone? When you receive your replacement, please return the defective phone to us. To make it easy, we include a pre-paid return mailer with your replacement and ask that you return the mailer within 15 days of the date your replacement was shipped. If we don't receive your original equipment, you will be required to pay a Non-returned Equipment Charge of $100 for a Tier 1 phone, $175 for a Tier 2 phone, or $225 for a Tier 3 phone.
Userlevel 3
BobTheElectrician wrote:

If you check the FAQ, the deadline for returning the "wreck" and being dinged with the fee is [i]...

Thanks BobTheElectrician! I have no idea why I was thinking 45 days!
Userlevel 3
Oh crap! It might be more than 15 days already!