Koodo Community

Community

WiFi Calling

Userlevel 1
a lot of us don't get very great service in some parts of our homes. i get around 3 bars of 3g and 2 bars of lte when inside. however in my basement like most people i have one bar only, but i do get a great wifi signal. it would be great if Koodo offered wifi calling just like bell, rogers, virgin and fido have. fido and virgin have the same priced plans as Koodo which is making me want to switch, but i don't want to because i love Koodo.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
You may be in one of those areas with poor service. Have you considered maybe getting a Wilson Repeater? This is an electronic signal amplifier that mounts both In side and outside your building. Best buy has them.
Userlevel 4
Those repeaters are very dear i am in the same vote why don't telus and bell just put some small repeaters around the places where the single is weak mini repeater
Userlevel 7
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Those repeaters are very dear i am in the same vote why don't telus and bell just put some small ...

Because money.
Userlevel 4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Those repeaters are very dear i am in the same vote why don't telus and bell just put some small ...

Your right on that one Chad we have about two dozen people or more can't get good single around here those cellphone booster are around $400 that's a lot of money unless you know where a person can one of those for good price that works with koodo and telus thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Considering the revenues made, the telcos should do better.
Userlevel 1
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Ivan here something may help koodo cosmers
www.fongo.com here for free wifi calling or LTE
Calling chiper then useing phone in day time allos
Grate we going over the us covers you buy useing wifi free in comming and out going
Lloyd Willett wrote:

I have Fongo.. great service. Just keep in mind that not all cities are covered in each province. They need to do better on parts of B.C. for sure. I LIVE IN B.C. yet got a Calgary phone number by choice when I signed up. ALSO Fongo uses about .5MB / minute if you are using data ... so 100 MB of data would allow you 200 calling minutes. Just turn data on/ off as needed so other apps don't waste it.
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Koodo provides terrible connection strength in my area of southern Ontario along the Highway 401 - so no excuses. Too many cut-outs and faded voices. CRTC should ensure a certain minimum standard of quality. Then to add salt in the wound, no Wifi calling.  Makes one quickly lose trust and confidence in the carrier.  I'll be switching as soon as possible.
Lloyd Willett wrote:

WI-FI Calling now works for BYOD iPhones 6 and up, SE included (Post-paid), but also for LG V30 (Need to buy one from Koodo). And I’m pretty sure that they will be adding more to resemble the Telus list such as Samsung and Pixel.
Userlevel 7
Lloyd Willett wrote:

What phone do you have? I frequently travel the 401 and don't have connection issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why not get one of the home phone sets that pairs with your cellular? You can then set the base station in a location with good reception, and set your cell phone beside it to charge. The home phone will then provide service throughout your house.

Userlevel 4
What kind of system are you talking about any name for it because i am living in a place where i only get 1 bar thanks
Userlevel 7
Lloyd Willett wrote:

What kind of system are you talking about any name for it because i am living in a place where i ...

https://phones.vtechcanada.com/en/telephones/cordless-phones/connect-to-cell?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLhywd48PfcEh2SdDovlRZ0CpFE4Lmyw96raWtO1GoVYaAjxW8P8HAQ
Userlevel 4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

What kind of system are you talking about any name for it because i am living in a place where i ...

How would this work is it for your cellphone and would it use your cellphone number
Userlevel 7
Lloyd Willett wrote:

So you put your cell phone and thebase station in a pplace in your home where you get the best reception on your cell You pair your phone with the base over Bluetooth The handsets around your home are now linked too your cell and dial through your cell. They also ring when your cell rings.
Userlevel 4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

So it's has nothing to do with your cordless phone its a different i would put this near my Window where i get 1 bar and use bluetooth on my cell say upstairs in my home and have that other base down stairs and that would work ??
Userlevel 7
Lloyd Willett wrote:

I'm not explaining this well The base station allows the other handsets to use your cell to make calls.
Userlevel 4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Ok thanks i will check it out look up some information on this
Google hang out dialer, It's free and it's part of Google hang outs, if you have a android phone this is your answer. I use this when I'm calling the US (free) or when I'm in the US and I need to make a phone call (Free), It is WiFi based it also has really good voice quality.
Userlevel 4
Do you use your cellphone number with Google hang out dialer and can someone call your cell phone number and it would go through hang out dialer
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

Do you use your cellphone number with Google hang out dialer and can someone call your cell phone...

To my knowledge, no. You may be able to forward your Google number to your cellphone, though.  

The use of Google Hangouts dialer, fongo, or other stand alone voice over Internet application moves away from your original intent, of using your cellphone (and number) as your main point of contact, especially at home, where currently you have poor reception.

Other options which may be available to you include:
  • using a VoIP service as your main point of contact and having it forward to which ever phone you pick up (often called multi-ring) this would allow you to have a number of phones ring, and you answer the one most convenient, be it your cellphone, a landline, an IP phone, or a soft phone application on your computer or smartphone.
  • forwarding your cellphone to a landline installed at your house when at home.
  • switch to a provider that supports Wi-Fi calling.
  • switch to a provider with better local cellular coverage.

Lloyd Willett wrote:

Do you use your cellphone number with Google hang out dialer and can someone call your cell phone...

Yes you can register your number to receive incoming calls from Google hang out, https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/6079064?hl=en
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lloyd Willett wrote:

That's for the Google Voice number, not Lloyd's cellular number.  Also to my recollection, with the exception of a short test in the 403 area code, Google Voice numbers are all USA area codes, so again not meeting Lloyd's requirements. 
It's very inconvenient that you don't provide wifi calling option. My phone reception at home is very bad and I can't use my koodo phone. Most of the other mobile phone companies do. Are you planning on offering this service any time soon?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It remains limited to iPhones for carriers that have launched it, no? Don't expect Koodo to have it anytime soon. Certainly no time table will likely be announced.