Koodo Community
Question

Why won't you give me SERVICE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• 13 August 2019
  • 19 replies

Ok. So I'm so freaking pissed at Koodo!

Two days ago I was in a retailer and see a in store offer (Koodo had a table). So I inquired what is the deal. $40 for 4GB for 12 months. Okay, not bad so I decide to port over my wife's number since she only needs 4GB and it's a bit cheaper.

I provide the representative with two pieces of ID (BCDL and credit card) and complete all the paperwork (signed and intiialed where needed). Rep email me a copy of the contract and said the porting over will take a couple of hours. Okay, no problem. 3 hours later I pop in the sim on my wife's phone and nothing. Okay, wait a couple more hours. Still no service!! Tried calling Koodo but it was after office hours. Wife told me to call tomorrow. I check my email and receive a email from Koodo that I had cancelled my service effective Aug 17! WTF?! I just ported over! And total was Aug 10! Why don't my wife have service!?

I called the next morning while driving to work. The rep told me that something had gone wrong and that I must provide Koodo with a photocopy of two pieces of government issued, valid ID, both sides and also a bill with my name and address. I questioned why when I provided my ID to the rep that signed me up. He said that it needs to be done to get it working and that maybe there was a issue with the credit card I provided. I told him I'm heading to work and only have my BCDL. Who the hell would have two pieces of government ID with them. He said I could use a SIN card. Umm.. Who carries that around? Told him that the ID is at home and don't see why I need to provide it now. I told him that I'll be at work and can't get two ID until I get home and by that time Koodo is closed. He doesn't tell me why only that it needs to be done to activate the account. I told him that my wife needs the phone working and that if there is an emergency she can't call emergency and that a phone is important. He continued to tell me to give him ID. Hello! I don't have it!! I just need the service working for my wife in case of emergency!!

After 30 mins I asked him to speak to someone else. I get placed on hold for 5 mins. Then I hear someone pick up. And then 'click', silence!

I get a call back from someone who I would assume is his supervisor. He said the same thing. That I need to provide the documents, faxed, no other way, not email or anything! Am I back in the 80's? He finally relented and said that my account's been flagged as fraud and that he's trying to protect customers from fraud. Fair enough. I told him that I'll get the document tomorrow but could he activate the phone for one day so my wife isn't without a phone for emergency! Nope, no can do and proceeds to tell me about the CRTC policy and he'd be breaking the law. I asked him which section does the CRTC. He said know. Then he told me that my account's been flagged by the credit bureau. I asked him which do they use. He said they use both Equifax and Transunion and that it's not them that use it it's whichever one I use. Umm.. Wrong, I don't tell you which credit bureau I use and which one to check for my credit. Companies do that. But he insisted that he can explain to me after I provide the documents but at this point there's nothing he can tell me.

He did offer me a couple of solution for my wife not having a phone. He said I could go with a pay as you go for the time being. I said great! What do I need to do? Could I do this online? He said I have to go into a store and purchase it!! Hello!?!?!? How many times have I told you I'm at work and can't leave!! Then he suggested I borrow a phone. Huh? From where? Who the heck has a spare phone and has minutes that they're not using? This was freaking agitating. I told him he offered me solutions, non-solutions that it. I thanked him and hung up.

Okay, so next day I have all my copies of ID and bill, included the account number and also my phone number to contact me. I faxed it to the number they told me to. The fax went to 2nd page but didn't seem to have gone through. So I used a email to fax service. This was at 11:30am. Many hours passed and still no service!

I called at 4:45pm and call Koodo again.. The wait time, 11-17 minutes. Okay. I wait. And wait I did. About 64 minutes later and listening to the music actually looping again the phone hangs up. Yes, that's right ladies and gents! After waiting 64 minutes the phone just hangs up!! The wait time estimate was 11-17 minutes!! I waited that long cause it's freaking important!! I can only think that my account was flagged and they didn't want to answer my call!

Yes, Koodo!! You royally suck!! I'll be filing a complaint with the CRTC and CCTS and BBB and the ombudsman!

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It seems you are having the issue of dealing with fraud prevention department. You could search the forum for it. Most people have to wait for the result of that department.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you tried to deal with the store instead? Not sure if that's an option
Not sure what the store could do about this. My wife doesn't want to lose the phone number she's had for nearly four years. How could they just kill my service without warning? The proper thing to do is to give me a call or email saying what's happening and what they need to confirm my identity and a deadline.

We may all use our phones for the news, games, etc. but it's ultimately a lifeline should we ever need it. I'm in disbelief that they could take someone's parachute from their backs anytime they want and without warning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Indeed their fraud prevention leaves little to be desired.
I was thinking the best ID check is in person rather than a fax (my opinion). You faxing ID documents doesnt actually confirm who you are, just that you have those documents. You could still be a frauster in that case. Where as an instore rep can confirm in person that the person matches the photo ID.

I would also the hope that the instore rep who sold you the line would be able to help resolve the fraud questions that fraud team has like helping to getting the documents to them, because, how many people really have access to a fax these days anyways (again my opinion).
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have sent an email to the rep from the Fraud team who first handled the situation and asked him to handle your case with priority. I will follow-up on it tomorrow.
Userlevel 3
Hey Rui! 🙂 We were able to look further into it and speed the process, the service has been resumed and it should work as of now. Please make sure to just power the phone off & on and let us know if there's anything else we can help with.
So late afternoon it started working on my phone (dual sim) but when I put the sim in her iPhone 8 there is no service! Tried everything including changing manually selecting the Koodo network, powering down the phone and re-seated the sim. Nothing worked. Checked the help menu and states I can go into self service and select change phone. No such option, only change sim.

The most frustrating port in ever!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So late afternoon it started working on my phone (dual sim) but when I put the sim in her iPhone 8 there is no service! Tried everything including changing manually selecting the Koodo network, powering down the phone and re-seated the sim. Nothing worked. Checked the help menu and states I can go into self service and select change phone. No such option, only change sim.

The most frustrating port in ever!

So the SIM worked in a non-Koodo phone? if so, the iphone 8 (was it the new Koodo phone?) was still blacklisted. I would try it again tomorrow (restart iphone). It might take sometimes for the blacklisting system to refresh.
My wife was using the iPhone 8 on Fido network and never had a problem so I have no idea why it would be blacklisted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My wife was using the iPhone 8 on Fido network and never had a problem so I have no idea why it would be blacklisted.

Was the iphone 8 from Koodo? if you put your Koodo SIM in the dual SIM phone, will it work?
Userlevel 5
Classic. They forgot to unblacklist the phone. They either do their job too slowly, or the customer's complaint works and they do it in a reasonable amount of time, but then they don't do it correctly.

It might take sometimes for the blacklisting system to refresh.
No, since Koodo blacklisted it, once they unblacklist it, their own system will allow service to the phone right away.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
@Rui Your phone's IMEI was prevented from accessing Koodo services when the account was flagged, but it is cleared now. Please power it off and back on, and it should work now. Otherwise, please let us know.
Thanks. My wife has the phone now and there's no way to contact her to turn off and on her phone. Another day without service.

Just checking my bill on the accounts and I'm billed for days I have no service. There must be a law against that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
The power off and on is usually an extra measure to take in case connectivity issues are experienced. It helps by refreshing it. Have you tried calling, texting or sending her an email?

Your bill is not fully calculated yet on our end as it takes about 3 working days to be ready, but I can continue to follow-up on it so the necessary adjustments be made.
I've tried texting, WhatsApp and calling her numerous times (goes straight to voice mail). Definitely not working yet.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
@Rui Just to confirm, is your wife's number the one ending in 34 or the 79 from your other account? The IMEI in question was for the Non-Koodo iPhone 8 on line ending in 34 as this was the line that was still suspended when you messaged us. Both IMEI numbers on the 34 line (the iPhone and the Asus phone) were lifted from the Fraud capture. So unless she is using a different handset than these two, I see no other reason for the phone not to work. I see as well that the SIM card has also powered up on the same iPhone 8, and we tried to call it to confirm it rang. Hopefully we did not disturb for that 1 second. If the issue still persists, there has to be another way to get her to contact our Tech Support by scheduling a callback with the Koodo Assist: koodomobile.com/chat .
@Manu Koodo it's the 34 number and we finally got it to work last night when I got home at 8pm.
@Manu Koodo Got my bills and getting charged since I signed up.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
@Rui As promised, I followed up on it and because our agent mistakenly forgot to clear the blacklist off your phone on the 13th of August in the afternoon when the service was restored, I have credited 1 day and a half of service which you should've gotten. A confirmation email was also sent.