Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why Does Koodo Not Have Plans Comparable To Public Mobile?

Userlevel 2
Since Telus owns both Public Mobile and Koodo Im curious as to why there is such a disparity in pricing.  Unlimited talk and text is 25 on Public Mobile  but on Koodo its 40. Both are prepaid and self serve based and use the same network. One would assume call quality etc would be indentical so it almost seems like Telus wants people to leave Koodo for PM

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Customer support still exists with Koodo to a greater degree than Public, there's physical stores, options to get phones, etc, that is used to justify the price differential. If Public fits your needs better and the price is right, then sure save 15 dollars a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Different strokes for different folks. Public Mobile is far more self-serve than is Koodo, has no retail outlets, and sells no phones.
Also, PM is only offering province-wide talk for that price.
If the two offered identical services, there would only be a need for one to exist. Choose the service which best meets your needs.
Userlevel 2
The support one doesnt really make sense since at least with prepaid you have to pay for support. In self serve its got a whole list of prices for phone and email support. So logically if Joe Blow has to pay $10 for support they should not also put the plan price up for support. Double dipping so to speak.
I dont know about other cities but the Koodo store here is a joke. No selection to speak of unless you want an Iphone or some insanely expensive Sammy phone. Ive had 3 phones with Koodo didnt get any at the Koodo kiosk. 2 were unlocked and bought at Staples the other I got from one of those generic 3rd party mobile shops that has phones by everybody.

Dont get me wrong Ive stuck with Koodo this long because I like the service, the people are nice and unlike Bell/Rogers they dont consider a limited credit history worse than bad credit. But like anybody I obviously would like to get the best bang for my buck.

@David
Koodo used to be Canada wide but if you look in self serve its been changed to province wide

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

The support one doesnt really make sense since at least with prepaid you have to pay for support....

You don't have to pay for support if it's something you cannot do yourself. Prepaid included. Koodo carries a limited number of phones yes, but most kiosks carry most of the lineup you see online. Be careful about applying anecdotal evidence on a large scale. Of course you should spend as little as you can for what you need. If you mostly get phones not from Koodo and are pretty good about your own account management then sure public would fit you better given the 15 dollar difference.
Userlevel 1
Tristan Gummow wrote:

The support one doesnt really make sense since at least with prepaid you have to pay for support....

They are still Canada wide. What you are showing there is their prepaid plans, which as far as I know were never Canada wide.  
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

Yes because PM is also prepaid. Comparing a monthly to prepaid is an apples to oranges comparrison. And yes prepaid used to be Canada wide (when I started with Koodo in 2013) but they switched it to province wide and now if you want Canada wide you have to buy the booster packs.

It used to be $25 and you got Canada wide evening and weekends from 7PM, $35 for free incoming and Canada evening and weekends from 5pm and $45 for unlimited Canada wide
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

If you really want to compare apples, the PM Talk and Text is $37 per month. They are offering a special just now on 90 day purchases, as they have done in the past for other combinations. This artificially inflates the difference you are presenting. Both offer discounts if one sort or another for automatic payments, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

Old $25 prepaid plan was included local evenings and weekends minutes.
$35 and $50 plans included Canada wide minutes.

If you have an old prepaid plan, then you can continue to renew it.
If you are a new prepaid customer or if your old prepaid account expire, then you have to pick one of new prepaid plan.
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

@David 
Its unfortunately the only comparison because Koodo doesnt offer a "bulk" kinda deal. If you compare over the course of 90 days PM is $40 less for the same cell service. Even Rogers has a discounted yearly prepaid (of course no sane person would use Rogers).

@Mayumi
I only mentioned the old plans because of the misconceptions that prepaid was still country wide, and that prepaid never had country wide

I find it weird that prepaid is actually lower service and higher price than monthly with Koodo/Telus. When in fact it should be reversed, monthly is a financial risk to telus, prepaid isnt.

Userlevel 4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

@Tristan
..."I find it weird that prepaid is actually lower service and higher price than monthly with Koodo/Telus. When in fact it should be reversed, monthly is a financial risk to telus, prepaid isn't"...

I hope you remember those times when people could get Monthly Post Paid Plans for $25 and only to exceed that price manifold  through mistakes, overages, long distance calls or excessive talking and texting (no shock free data).[b] It was financial risk with a good return. How about broken contracts when people have to pay huge cancelation fees for subsidized phones. I could bring more examples. No better return on monthly plans.

Even when Mobile Industry is now more regulated than before it seems for me that it is hard and takes long time to change human behavior and habits that is why Monthly is financial risk but still with a good return comparing to prepaid.
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

I most certainly do remember, and 100% understand the "scheme" that was used to gain those huge profits.I just wish more prepaid customers would step up and demand equal or better. Many of us are prepaid not because we have to but because we are fiscally responsible. We buy our phones outright, we pay for service every month. I personally despise credit, if you cant pay for it you shouldnt have it. These "loan shark" mentality plans blow my mind. I should be able to buy the same service up front as I can get on credit. And all Telus companies should offer comparable plans. Look at the actual Telus plans almost identical to Koodo only theirs no $10 charge for help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

Just as The Bay had a different product mix than Zellers, and Loblaw does with differing supermarkets, Telus does with their 3 brands. Telus is the premium line, has the most selection, and options, but is also about $5 to $15 mor costly per month than Koodo for similar plans. Public Mobile was one of the lower-cost entrants to the wireless sphere, and Telus needed to find a way to keep those cost conscious customers, while offering the full network. Their method is what you see, a low cost brand with minimal add-ons: no stores, no phones, and a fully prepaid payment system. For those for whom it works, it has benefits, but there's lots of angst expressed in their community as well. I don't agree that all suppliers should offer identical wares; you have the ability to choose who you want to purchase from, which ultimately is more empowering. Now that consumption data is available to the carriers almost instantly, I agree that prepaid cell plans could parallel post-paid plans. However, it really just changes who is extending the credit: you, by leaving a positive balance on your account to pay for additional use, or the carrier doing so, and collecting from you by invoice.
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

Yes it changes who extends the credit. But as a man who pays up front I should get the same price or better as the man who says "well gee I dont have any money but I can give you an IOU" To be honest I was gonna switch to plan but the site keeps crashing 3 days now and I cant even order a SIM so I think its end of the road. Go to PM actually get a deal for paying up front. Paid up front 4 years with Koodo and all thats happened is a slow decline in service. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

You, of course, are only issuing the IOU for additional services. Even with Koodo, post-paid, you pay your base plan in advance each month.
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

No you dont thats why its called Post paid. You pay it after the fact. If you paid ahead of time it would be impossible to bill overages. Koodo extends credit in the hope you will pay. Prepaid you buy a block and once that block is gone your SOL until you buy another. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

On postpaid you pay for the upcoming month + overages from the previous month. 
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

LMFAO I think you better read what you posted because on post paid you are always billed after the fact which means you always pay for the previous month not upcoming. Just go to to the Kodoo store and pretend your a new customer, pick a phone and plan and whamo whats the charge? $10 for a SIM not a cent for the plan. Thats why its called POST PAID, you pay after the fact where as PREPAID you pay before the fact. Maybe Koodo needs to up the bar on Mobile Master if they dont understand the difference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpaid_mobile_phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

Tristan, one does not have to spend much time on this forum before reading a plethora of questions asking "why am I being billed in advance for services?" You can look in the FAQ on koodomobile.com to see an explanation of first bill, including the prepayment of your base plan costs. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/charges-explained Telephone, cable, Internet, and cellular, all bill for the upcoming month, with additional costs billed after the fact.
Userlevel 4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

First bill is always prorated for Monthly Customers regardless of the Provider.
Userlevel 2
Tristan Gummow wrote:

Well if Koodo has decided to bill in advance they better hope customers dont band together and file a class action for fraud. Post paid means after the fact https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans pay special attention to the "nitty gritty" no mention of double billing. Perhaps youd like to tell the CRTC that David and include the Nitty Gritty By law if they are going to bill you for the first month and upcoming that needs to be plainly disclosed. I see no disclosure on that page
Userlevel 4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

It is like you paying for your car insurance one month ahead. I don't see any problem here.

It looks like we've drifted too far away from original question and topic here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tristan Gummow wrote:

To prevent further argument here is the service terms for the 3 main carriers and their subsidiaries. All which state that Postpaid plans are billed in advance. You're welcome.

https://www.koodomobile.com/service-terms
"Your chosen rate plans and features are billed one month in advance."

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/legal-terms.html
"If we are providing you with Postpaid Services, you will be billed monthly in advance."

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/terms/fido-terms-and-conditions
"Service charges will start on the Activation Date and are billed in advance."

http://www.telus.com/en/nb/get-help/service-terms/telus-standard-mobility-service-terms/support.do?t...
"Your chosen rate plans and features are billed one month in advance."

http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Mobility_Terms_of_service
"If we are providing you with Postpaid Services, you will be billed monthly in advance."

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Rogers-Terms-of-Service-Acceptable-Use-Policy-and-Privacy-Policy.pd...
"Service charges will start on the Activation Date and are billed in advance."
Userlevel 4
Tristan in your question is already partial answer.

..."seems like Telus wants people to leave Koodo for PM"...

Telus wants people to leave but they are stubborn and don't want to leave they don't want to enjoy great savings that PM can offer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo definitely doesn't want ppl to leave Koodo for PM as I'm a PM customer and constantly get offers texted to me from them to switch to Koodo for the same rate I have as well as money off the price each month for a full year, that doesn't sound like they want ppl to go with PM does it lol.
Userlevel 4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Koodo definitely doesn't want ppl to leave Koodo for PM as I'm a PM customer and constantly get o...

@Paul
If you don't mind I am a little bit confused here. You are Mobile Master and from the points that you have accumulated it looks like you have been Koodo user for a very long time.

Do you have another account with PM or have recently switched to PM?