Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why do I receive random phone calls from people I don't know?

Userlevel 2
Pretty much since bringing my phone over to Koodo and noticeably never before - I have started receiving random phone calls from local businesses who each claim that I have fist called them - which I haven't as my call log proves. So how are they getting my number? I have no business with interior designers, the particular pizza joint who calls or the local car shop - all of which I know where they are but have never used their services. Does Koodo sell a list of activated numbers to local businesses? When I set up my account I declined any public listing options but despite everything I know to do, my minutes are being eaten into my these random calls. And before anyone suggests it, no I am not pocket calling them because they are not in my contact list and that would be equally random - to randomly dial 10 numbers in sequence which all happened to be local businesses.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Your number has been spoofed, meaning someone is using your number to mask their identity on caller ID equipment. It usually lasts a short time and then stops The only way to stop it immediately is to change your number.
Userlevel 2
How then does my number get 'spoofed' - it was assigned when I got my phone 2 months ago and I've no idea how anyone would get access to it - to spoof it...
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

How then does my number get 'spoofed' - it was assigned when I got my phone 2 months ago and I've...

They actually don't need access to it. They just make a guess and pick a number. This time its yours. Rest assured they haven't dug into your account. Anyone can spoof a number, there are even websites that allow you to mask your number in this way.
Userlevel 2
David wrote:

How then does my number get 'spoofed' - it was assigned when I got my phone 2 months ago and I've...

Seems like a laborious way of generating business, but maybe if business is that slow that they need to - then they do indeed have the time!