Koodo Community

While tethering data, is there any work around for getting out of strict NAT?

• 4 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello Everyone

Some games won't let you play with friends (For example Call of Duty Blackops 4) for PS4 while tethering data I always get strict NAT. I tried using a port forwarding app and a VPN for my android device but I cannot get a moderate NAT type. Just wondering if anyone was able too do this, or if this option will be available at some point?

Thanks,
Raymond

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I found this :
https://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-obtain-an-open-nat-phone-tethering.795221/

But from what I read, it's not possible or you need to find the right VPN.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I may be way off here, but wouldn't console games played over tethering burn through your mobile data bucket pretty quickly?
Thanks Robert, I see this method works but I wanted to have it work just with the phone and the PS4. I don't have a computer available where I am! The online gaming doesn't use much data, but if you use the voice chat I've noticed the data increases a lot more. I tried a few VPN's but none give me a different NAT sadly, I will keep searching online for a workaround! I just thought someone else on the forum might have found a solution already! 😥
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks Robert, I see this method works but I wanted to have it work just with the phone and the PS4. I don't have a computer available where I am! The online gaming doesn't use much data, but if you use the voice chat I've noticed the data increases a lot more. I tried a few VPN's but none give me a different NAT sadly, I will keep searching online for a workaround! I just thought someone else on the forum might have found a solution already! 😥
The nat type on BO4 is terrible even on my home internet. Unfortunately if its acting up for you then you have to do some port forwarding to set it to open.

Thanks Robert, I see this method works but I wanted to have it work just with the phone and the PS4. I don't have a computer available where I am! The online gaming doesn't use much data, but if you use the voice chat I've noticed the data increases a lot more. I tried a few VPN's but none give me a different NAT sadly, I will keep searching online for a workaround! I just thought someone else on the forum might have found a solution already! 😥The nat type on BO4 is terrible even on my home internet. Unfortunately if its acting up for you then you have to do some port forwarding to set it to open.

I already set the PS4 as my DMZ address at home, but where I am I only have my phone data. I found an app called "Wifi Tether Router" I will test this app out and see if I can get it working.