Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What to expect from Cell Signal Repeater

I am considering buying a signal repeater/booster to allow us to get signal throughout the house. We can get 1-3 bars in various spots around the house and yard. My wife and I are Koodo subscribers but we would like to improve cell signal for visitors as well. So, assuming that the repeater will work for us, do we need to register the device with Koodo for it to work? Or, do we just plug it in, aim it, and expect better signal for any device regardless of carrier?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It gets complicated.... Best place to start is what was formerly Wilson electronics. https://www.weboost.com/us/ Look at some of the various models and then examine the installation instructions very closely. It's not like slapping a bowtie antenna on the top of your tv. Certain distances and orientations have to be respected, or you can end up getting feedback, ruining your signal entirely, just like a microphone and speaker pointed too close together. Koodo will probably have to consent and that will mean using a Canadian-certified model. Other suppliers may not be. Bars on the phone are just barely decorations. Download from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.networkwidget or something similar. Gives fairly instantaneous readings for voice and data in -dBm units. As long as you show less than 100 -dBm, you should be able to communicate. Had similar issues as yours: 0-3 bars at various locations on my property and found a few sweet spots in the house and outside where I can get a very reliable signal. Decided it wasn't worth doing a booster install, since success was by no means guaranteed. At least I now know where my service will definitely work or not work and park the phone accordingly.
Issue for me is I want to use cell phone in office where there is no signal. Can I expect someone from Koodo to chime in here to explain exactly what the process entails? Is this a routine thing to get approval for? Do I need to call to confirm this will be allowable? What department would I speak to? etc, etc.
Userlevel 5
ionDJP wrote:

Issue for me is I want to use cell phone in office where there is no signal. Can I expect some...

Hey ionDJP, I just had a live chat with a representative from the company Bob has mentioned and according to him, registration is not necessary in Canada. If you have more questions, feel free to visit their website, a Representative will be able to answer your questions! Hope this helps!
ionDJP wrote:

Issue for me is I want to use cell phone in office where there is no signal. Can I expect some...

Thx all....think I'll give it a try.