Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What LTE and HSPA network bands does Koodo support?


I'm looking to purchase a device from a third party, however I want to have the ability to use the full data capabilities that the Koodo network offers. The device I'm looking into is GSM\HSPA\LTE and will work on the following Bands: FD-LTE: 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,13,17,20 HSPA +: 1,2,4,5/6, 8, EDGE I search the Koodo website for the supported network bands, but I wasn't able to find them. Where can I find this information to know whether the device will work on Koodo's network?

53 replies

Userlevel 7
You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but I'm not sure what #s correspond to that.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

KOODO is LTE Band 4 FDD (1700) Hspa is bands 2 & 5 (850/1900)
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Where is this officially documented?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=CANADA
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Will a phone with the following specification work too?
4G Network: LTE TDD Band 40/41 FDD Band 1/3/5/7 /8/20
3G Network: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
2G Network: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Yes for 3G no for LTE
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Very good info. Could someone let me know if this phone will work on Koodo:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz       
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD LTE B5:850/B8:900/B4:1700/B3:1800/B1:2100/B7:2600 /         
       B2:1900/B20:800/B28:700  MHz TD LTE B40:2300MHz
Thanks

        

Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Yes, it should.
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

I have this phone will it work with Koodo
http://www.imei.info/phonedatabase/96494-doogee-y6/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

No it will not. Whenever Koodo launches VoLTE is when it will work wherever 2600nhz is available but not before then. For future reference you can use willmyphonework.net to find just about any phone if it will work. If it's not listed, look for 850/1900mjz on 3g and 1700/2100mhz, and 2600mhz for lte. 700, 850, 1900 will also work but it's not known where exactly they are deployed whereas 1700/2100 and 2600 is definitely nationwide.
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

do you know any Canadian network that can work with this phone?
Thank you.
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

2600 is definitely not nationwide yet. I'm pretty sure it's actually the least used one right now. The phone will work on all of the national networks, even Koodo, but with limited coverage, and assuming it even supports VoLTE, you won't be able to make any calls with Koodo because they make you happy by giving you less than others providers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

2600 is in every province except Saskatchewan, and is in most major population centres in Canada, plus ever increasing smaller ones. I can see it clearly on the coverage mapper. It is one of the two frequencies being used nationwide.

Not sure why you're saying it will work on all national networks. To begin with, it will work with 2G on Rogers/Fido, but that's about it. 3G in Canada is 850 and 1900mhz, with Freedom using AwS, while this phone has 900 and 2100 mhz. It could access data but that's about it and dependent on 2600 deployment.

Telus has yet to deploy VoLTE nationwide itself, having only recently expanded beyond BC and AB into MB and parts of southern Ontario. Bell is further ahead in deployment and Rogers has it almost everywhere but it doesn't mean Telus isn't working on it.

And depending on how you interpret the compatibility pages, it could beimited to only the device list shown instead of any phone that comes with VoLTE capability. I don't know for sure because with Koodo it'll have to wait until they get its to see. And it's not clear that the doogee phone has VoLTE. Petya unless you already bought the phone I suggest against buying it given its limited usability.
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

WIND is not considered a national network. 2600 is being deployed, it's not yet available everywhere like you said. They don't have VoLTE everywhere. These two mean limited coverage like I said. Koodo is the only one out of the 6 without VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

What does Freedom "not considered a national network" have to do with me naming the frequencies used in Canada for 3G. Soo...you just reiterated what I said because...?
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

yesterday we tried at Koodo and could not pick up the network.So now I am going to try with  Rogers/Fido.Yes,I already paid for the phone.It is really good and fast phone but....I don't want to return it. I will look into other networks.I hope it works with some.Thank you for the help.I really appreciate it.
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Your whole comment except for the last part was a reply to mine. I said Freedom is not considered a national network because you mentioned it when talking about the sentence where I mentioned national networks. I reiterated what you said because clearly you didn't understand what I meant, and you're reiterating what I said in longer sentences while trying to "correct" what I said.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

2600 is nationwide so you were wrong. The phone will only work on th other networks if it supports VoLTE and you don't know that and you go on to say that yet still say it'll work on all networks. You're wrong, contradicting yourself, and being rude.
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

> being rude Well, you are asking for it. 2600 MHz is not yet deployed everywhere with LTE coverage, so it's not available nationwide. The spectrum can be used nationwide if that's what you mean. It will work on all networks withlimited coverage. It will work where there is 2600 MHz. By work, I mean it can connect to the network and use it one way or another. For example, it will be internet only on Koodo because Koodo doesn't have VoLTE at all. If it doesn't support VoLTE on other providers, then it will still work as an internet only device. He already has the phone, and doesn't want to return it. So what he could do is go get a tablet or mobile hotspot data only plan, and then use a VoIP service for calls when he is in a 2600 MHz area. Some people do that even when their phones are compatible with the whole network because it's cheaper that way (but not convenient.)
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

> being rude Well, you are asking for it. 2600 MHz is not yet deployed everywhere with LTE coverage, so it's not available nationwide. The spectrum can be used nationwide if that's what you mean. It will work on all networks withlimited coverage. It will work where there is 2600 MHz. By work, I mean it can connect to the network and use it one way or another. For example, it will be internet only on Koodo because Koodo doesn't have VoLTE at all. If it doesn't support VoLTE on other providers, then it will still work as an internet only device. He already has the phone, and doesn't want to return it. So what he could do is go get a tablet or mobile hotspot data only plan, and then use a VoIP service for calls when he is in a 2600 MHz area. Some people do that even when their phones are compatible with the whole network because it's cheaper that way (but not convenient.)
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

You'll need HSPA 850/1900. As for LTE, you want 1700/2100. I think that phone should be fine but ...

Can't edit. *with limited *she
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Most sellers won't have that information. And you can't 100%rely on mfgr specs because they build them for different markets. Short answer: if the phone works on Telus or Bell in Canada, or AT&T in the US you are probably good to go. Some Rogers phones = occasional problems reported n this board. BUT best to check with phone's serial number on Koodo site: http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on-the-koodo-network
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Most sellers won't have that information. And you can't 100%rely on mfgr specs because they build...

I don't currently have the serial number and I won't have it until the device is in my possession. The seller indicated the bands, which I posted in my original question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Most sellers won't have that information. And you can't 100%rely on mfgr specs because they build...

Your posted band specs are not really enlightening. I would also insist on the imei also as a safeguard against the phone being stolen. If it's a reputable dealer, he can clearly do the imei test on Koodo's site, and provide you with a pdf of the result.
Userlevel 7
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Most sellers won't have that information. And you can't 100%rely on mfgr specs because they build...

Except the IMEI Checker is flawed and really only checks to see if it's stolen. It's not reliable for compatibility really. A quick search of the net gave me the information I needed to answer your question. There is a list of carriers and the band's they use in Wikipedia as well as other sources. Source1 Hsdpa bands: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands Source 2 (north America / Telus): http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Reply