Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What is Koodo Wireless Home Phone?

Userlevel 1
Wireless Home Phone gives customers a cheaper alternative to traditional landline service. It operates on Koodo’s wireless network, and you can keep your existing home phone number! Simply insert a SIM card into the Wireless Home Phone Hub, connect the Hub to your existing home phone handset, and connect to power. You’re ready to start dialing – with unlimited Canada-wide calling built right in!

[b]For more information please visit:
[b]Webpage: www.koodomobile.com/wireless-home-phone
[b]FAQs : http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/koodo-wireless-home-phone

83 replies

Userlevel 1
Because this product is so new to Koodo I'm asking and answering this question as a Koodo Employee so that other users get the information 🙂
Koodo Ami wrote:

Wireless Home Phone gives customers a cheaper alternative to traditional landline service. It o...

When will this come to BC?
Koodo Ami wrote:

Wireless Home Phone gives customers a cheaper alternative to traditional landline service. It o...

it is good idea but has draw backs,1 -if you do not dial fast or pause to look at the number you want to dial it goes to message cal can not be completed .this is annoying  if you are trying to call a number you wrote down.2- ever since i transferred my number to koodo i get so many spam calls(calls with one or two rings or no one there )i asked koodo how to block and they said nothing they can do .same as the problem dialing,nothing they can do. For me thats strike 2 one more and they are out.
Userlevel 6
Bring it to us in Alberta and Saskatchewan xD
I've seen something similar offered before, in order to "port" an existing number typically they have a can this number be ported check.  Can I check this at the Koodo store?  I live in New Brunswick so am in the offered areas. 

How long from the time the porting request is put in does it take for it to work on the Wireless hub?

And am I correct in that this uses the Koodo Wireless network meaning that in theory if I have a power source and a cellular connection this would work anywhere provided I have a phone to plug into it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MichaelG wrote:

I've seen something similar offered before, in order to "port" an existing number typically they ...

Apparently it even comes with a built in battery, which provides up to 200 minutes talk time or a day of standby. As long as your plugged in phone itself does not need to connect to a power source, you should be good even when there is no power 🙂
Userlevel 7
MichaelG wrote:

I've seen something similar offered before, in order to "port" an existing number typically they ...

I will also add though that if you use cordless phones, they still won't work without power. But if you have a simple old school wired phone, you are golden!
MichaelG wrote:

Until the Koodo modem dies like ours looks like it did! Our Home phone has been down for a week as it refuses to give a dial tone or ring now. We are returning it Saturday for a possible replacement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can use it immediately but IIRC you cannot be called as you have a temporary number that allows you to make calls until the porting process is complete. It's normally up to 48 hours but can take longer and usually refreshes after midnight. That is correct it would work basically anywhere so long as you can power it. If you're going somewhere for the weekend or whatever you can bring it with you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What makes this product truly valuable is the forwarding feature. Now you can switch your home land-line for about $20 + tx a month and forward your calls to your cell.

Now if they just added an unlimited data port for another $20...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

What makes this product truly valuable is the forwarding feature. Now you can switch your home la...

Unlimited data? In Canada? Surely you jest. 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

What makes this product truly valuable is the forwarding feature. Now you can switch your home la...

They will only start throttling you after the first 500 K !!!  😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

All the WAP data you can use!

BobTheElectrician wrote:

I HAVE THE  20. ADDON UNLIMITED UK PLAN. NOW  WHEN MY ISITER TRIES TO CALL ME ,SHE GETS A RECORDING "NUMBER NOT RECOGNIZED. SHE CAN SEND ME TEXTS . I CAN CALL AND TEXT HER ..SO WHY IS BT SHOWING "NUMBER NOT RECOGNIZEC"  WHEN SHE TRIES TO CALL ME  THANK YOU
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I didn't know you could text from Koodo' s Homephone device!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You're not supposed to be able to text. If the ability to text isn't blocked in some way, I'd be cautious as this could result in significant overages.

For example, when I had a data-only plan from another carrier, texting and calling weren't blocked, but they would result in large pay-per-use charges.

Robert, are you using Koodo's home phone or cell phone service?
No Incoming calls yet? I ported my home phone land line from Bell to Koodo's new offering on Sunday, July 24. Everything set-up easily enough and I've been able to make outgoing calls -- but incoming calls are not making it through. Is this part of the 48-hour + porting process? Or is this a technical problem? Thanks so much!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dana wrote:

No Incoming calls yet? I ported my home phone land line from Bell to Koodo's new offering on Sund...

Hi Dana, it is normal... Landline does take 24 to 48 hours to port. You should be all set soon. We're going to port our line too, the quality is even better than our landline!
Dana wrote:

No Incoming calls yet? I ported my home phone land line from Bell to Koodo's new offering on Sund...

Thanks Sophia! Porting is relatively painless. I've done it on my cell twice when changing providers. Guess I'm just eager to try out the new home phone service. With the deal I was offered as an existing Koodo customer, there was no better time to make the change! Thanks again for your reply! Good luck with your own port!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just to follow up on this - after testing the line extensively with a temporary number for about 2 weeks, we took the plunge and started the process of porting our landline on Sunday. It wasn't a difficult decision, quality of the Koodo wireless line is perfect - better than our landline in fact! We tested with local numbers, LD calling and overseas to my family. Everything is crystal clear.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the porting experience in detail to help others in making it a smooth sailing 🙂

To make sure we could still be reached on our actual (landline) number during the weeks of testing the new line, we enabled call forwarding to our temporary Koodo test number.

On Sunday we started the process to port in our number. Within 15 minutes, self service mentioned our landline number instead of the temporary number. After rebooting the device, outgoing calls showed the landline number as call display. 

Here is where we got a tremendous fright - because when I made a test call to our number from my cell phone, we were informed that "the number you have dialed, is no longer in service." Yikes! It was our own mistake however - the landline was still forwarding to our temporary Koodo test number, which obviously was indeed no longer in service. We quickly disabled call forwarding and now our old landline rang as usual, then we forwarded the line to my cell instead.

Waiting seems like forever... even though we knew it would take at least 2 business days, it is scary to have a number that we've had since we were married hover between two services. On Tuesday however, the wait was over - we received an email from our landline provider that the line would be canceled the following morning. This morning, Wednesday, the port was complete. Our old landline now has no longer a dial tone, our new wireless hub is fully functional.

All it all, it was a very smooth process and we're very happy with the final result. Moral of the story, don't be scared to cut the chord, really, there is nothing to it. Just do it 😃
Sophia wrote:

Just to follow up on this - after testing the line extensively with a temporary number for about ...

Did you have to call your previous provider to cancel the service?  Or is that automatic once your number is ported over?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Just to follow up on this - after testing the line extensively with a temporary number for about ...

Koodo takes care of the porting process for you. If you cancel your current service yourself, you will lose your number. It doesn't hurt to confirm with the old provider that your account is closed a few days after the port is completed.
Sophia wrote:

How does this work for wifi...the only reason I have a landline is so that I can have wifi in my home...I live in a rural area
Sophia wrote:

My cell is koodo and works perfectly in my area
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

It doesn't work for wifi. It's a cellular transceiver for voice service only.