Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What happens if I sell a loaner phone?

It will cost me $75 if I keep the loaner (after my repair is finished), but I can sell it for more... is there a good l reason I shouldn't do this?

15 replies

You would be charged for the replacement of the phone. It's never wise to keep the loaner phone. You are required to return the loaner phone.
Userlevel 7
Morality? It's not your phone as the term "loaner" would suggest. The deposit is to ensure you return the "loaner" selling something that doesn't belong to you is tantamount to stealing no?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
IIRC, the inability to understand why something is morally wrong is one of the hallmarks of psychopathy...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Odds are that Koodo will also flag the unreturned loaner phone as a lost or stolen device, rendering it unusable on any network in North America.
Userlevel 6
Why is this stealing if there is a fee for not retuning the phone? Koodo set a price for that if it's lower than the market price and people take advantage of that it's a grey are at most. That said I haven't read the details around the terms of a loaner.
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

Why is this stealing if there is a fee for not retuning the phone? Koodo set a price for that if ...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?rd=1&word=loaner
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

Why is this stealing if there is a fee for not retuning the phone? Koodo set a price for that if ...

When you pay for parking on the street and you get back ten minutes late do you feed the meter for the extra minutes?  If not, that could be considered stealing from the coffins of municipalities. 
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

I disagree but lack a response atm
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

The question is if you came back 10 mins late to feed the machine and there is a ticket on it, is it wrong to leave the ticket and then not pay the meter and park there all day now?
Userlevel 6
Aside from the morality issue already brought up, Koodo shops generally don't give out high-end phones as loaners so selling it for more than $75 is kind of hit-or-miss. Plus I thought the no-return fee depended on the device, where a low-end flip phone would be $75 and a smartphone (probably an entry level one) is $150. But that may have changed and I can't find anything saying one way or the other.
Curtules wrote:

Aside from the morality issue already brought up, Koodo shops generally don't give out high-end p...

There used to be a security deposit but Koodo removed that requirement.
Userlevel 6
Curtules wrote:

Aside from the morality issue already brought up, Koodo shops generally don't give out high-end p...

The deposit is gone, for sure, but I was under the impression that the deposit amounts (which I know for a fact were $75 for a basic loaner and $150 for a smartphone) were migrated to the replacement fee for the loaner. The security deposit is still required for prepaid customers at those amounts, but that's the closest to a confirmation on the replacement fee amount I can find.
Userlevel 6
Also, I'm pretty sure a savvy dealer at the kiosk isn't going to give you back your original phone if you don't intend to return the loaner.
Userlevel 1
You do know that is stealing right? You also do know stealing is against the law right?
Userlevel 6
Okay, so I took some time and checked with some higher level reps with Koodo and the actual replacement fee depends on the market price of the loaner phone you are offered. So selling the loaner isn't a good idea.