Koodo Community
Question

What criteria is required for a topic to be 'closed' by admin(s)?

Userlevel 2
So I'm browsing the forum just now, view a thread on the first page, close to the top, and I go to comment, but cannot as it's been 'closed' for activity.. This is the thread in question: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/pc_mobile_launching_june_12_too_bad_koodo_already_has_them_beat The thread was created 8 days ago. It has a fair bit of activity. The last comment was made only two hours earlier today. The thread itself has the potential for ongoing discussion.... I'm wondering why it would be closed? What is the general criteria admin(s) use to determine if a thread is to remain open or not? I see tons of other threads that have less activity and are much older, yet they haven't been marked 'closed'...

17 replies

I believe in that case, since the launch was delayed AND PC mobile just updated their plans, the thread was invalid. I could be wrong, but thats how I perceive it.
Honestly, a thread like that, partly due to the delay. But to be honest, it's not relevant to KOODO services, so I could see that as a reason as to why it was closed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I can''t give a definite answer, but my personal guess is (based on what I have seen) that threads are closed: - when there is a potential flame threat (we have seen quite a few of those in the past week) - when it is irrelevant to Koodo (I think the thread you linked to, Matt, might fall in that category) - when there is a chance of spam (there has a been huge influx of "unlock services" spam of late) - personal preference (I noticed some moderators are quicker to lock threads than others) 🙂 Don't forget that when moderators are busy locking a number of threads in a row, they might always erroneously lock one that should still be open. In that case I recommend you use the "dispute" button to request it to be reopened 🙂
Userlevel 2
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just curious as to what Koodo exactly deems 'acceptable' on here. I get that the thread in question is not specific to Koodo services, but I never realized this was something that was was off limits in the first place. I mean, we have threads about applications, asking how to change the language on a specific device, people posting questions because they're having non *koodo* related issues, etc. These aren't Koodo *service* related topics either, and if everything is meant to be explicitly Koodo service related, then they should be asking in the device manufactures' forums, or other third party communities...... no?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Oh I hear you, and I agree this should continue to be fun forum and not too regulated 😃 Actually I don't think most subjects you just mentioned have ever been actively stopped... as long as they don't become a iDevice/Android/Windows fanboi war, haha. But personally I think a thread discussing "the competition" might be one of those that Koodo would rather not see... but that is just my perception 🙂
Userlevel 2
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Yeah that's what I wondering. Would be nice to actually get some clarification, I mean, how are people suppose to know? And if a thread is 'closed', it would be nice if a reason was given and this was clear to see. Just trying to get some exact answers. If it's unacceptable to have a thread about a 'competitor', let us know. I haven't noticed those other subjects I've mentioned locked either, so it seems that non 'service' related threads are fine, but where exactly is the line drawn? I mean, if the PC mobile thread is 'over reaching' because it's about a competitor, why isn't the "Fido offer the exactly same monthly plan for $10 cheaper in Maritime!" thread, or any thread about the other competitors plans, also 'closed'?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Only Koodo can answer that, but don't hold your breath. They might be like Mary Poppins, who makes it a point never to explain anything 😃 What I suggest is we continue to have fun in here, and trust Koodo to take action when things get out of hand. Even their set of guidelines is based on common sense, not a regulated set of do's and don'ts. Since it's not our responsibility anyway to run this place, why worry about things like that 😃 IF you ever get out of hand (not likely I know 🙂 ) I'm sure you'll know about it 😃
Userlevel 2
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...lol Why wouldn't they provide feedback on this? Is asking for posting guidelines really too much to ask for? I guess we'll find out. It's not our responsibility to 'run' this place, but I think all users would benefit from knowing what the general framework is for being able to have an active discussion and generally what topics are acceptable or off limits.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Haha I am just sharing my personal thoughts, don't forget that 😃 Nothing official in what I say here! They have given us posting guidelines: http://fanpage.koodomobile.com/community/guidelines/ but it would become unreadable if they added a huge list of "acceptable" topics - that is why they basically ask we all use common sense. I run several forums myself and it isn't always easy to provide cut and dry answers - sometimes one just has to play things by ear - make decisions on the spot... and there are times you have to humbly accept the fact you were plain wrong 😃 Let's cut Koodo some slack 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...It's not that the thread is about "competition". I've made numerous posts about competitors' offers/policies that I'd like to see find their way to our favourite carrier, and I haven't seen any of them closed. I think that this one was closed because while the OP wanted to give praise to Koodo for having better plans, the post still read like an ad for PC Mobile.
Userlevel 2
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Well I mean, we don't need a full list of 'acceptable' topics, but just a brief one of what's generally unacceptable would be satisfactory, I think. I get what you guys are saying though, it's obviously handled on a per topic basis, but at some point when a thread is locked it must cross a line. What exactly is that though? Must it be a secret? Can we have a hint? lol Anyways, let's just see if we get an official response... Edit: Not to turn this into an ad for the Rogers Community, but their forum guidelines include a section about what content is unacceptable. It's clear as day. http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Welcome/message-id/5/highlight/true#M5
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...I don't see that as an ad for the Rogers Community. Clarity is never a bad thing,
Userlevel 2
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...I didn't either, but I figured I better cover my bases anyways and throw up a disclaimer lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Haha no need to get panicky, dear Matt 🙂 The Rogers rules are very terse, and difficult to read... imo. I much prefer "our" friendly guidelines here... Still you brought up good points and as you said, let's wait if there will be an official response to your thread and what that will be 😃
Userlevel 1
Yeah fair enough, I don't particularly care about that specific thread in general, but I'm just c...Love your sense of humour and friendly "hand stop" Sophia, I find real pleasure reading your posts, that's why you're ahead on the top of the Podium!
Userlevel 1
Hey mattjs, more often than not we close threads when things gets out of hand or when the conversation begins to get off topic, making the thread super long and taking value away from the initial question, praise or idea. Keep in mind that the purpose of the Koodo Community is to provide support to fellow community members. The rules aren't black and white but we've kept it that way so that when there are grey areas, we can handle them. We're want to stay open and honest on why we do things. If we're wrong, we're also happy to apologize 🙂 I've taken note of the suggestions that you've mentioned in this thread, they're all valid points that I'll mull over with the rest of my team. Thanks mattjs!
Userlevel 2
Hey mattjs, more often than not we close threads when things gets out of hand or when the convers...Sounds good ashley, thanks for the follow up!