Koodo Community

Community

What about Data Sticks?


I have a great deal of customers who come in asking about Data sticks and Signal Boosters. It may be the location that my kiosk is in (the Alberta Oilpatch) where many of our customers are spending long amounts of time in a rural area, but I think that by expanding our stock selection, we could do a fair amount of more business. It would be nice to offer these things, since I seem to be sending so many people away to either another provider (nooo!) or The Source in the mall.

16 replies

Data sticks are only provided if a provider provides data only devices/plans. Koodo does not offer this nor do I expect them to offer such a thing as they are a discount cellular mobile provider, not an internet provider.
Userlevel 6
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Data sticks are only provided if a provider provides data only devices/plans. Koodo does not offe...

Well, Koodo was not a prepaid provider in the past, and now they are. When they started back in 2008, they did not offer data with their plans, now they do. They could very well add data-only plans to their portfolio, it would only help fatten their quarterly results even more. I'd support the addition of such plans!
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Data sticks are only provided if a provider provides data only devices/plans. Koodo does not offe...

Thanks dude! Personally I don't know why Koodo has to be pigeonholed into one area of communications, such as discount cellular provider. It would be simple to add these items to our inventory and it really would just amp up business. Sure we could send them to Telus, but with the response I've recieved from many people asking, it sounds to me like they would much prefer to not have service with a bigger provider. While I know that there is nothing wrong with Telus, other people have had bad experiences with them, and why should we send them somewhere like Rogers or Bell? If they don't want to have internet service with Telus, we could easily net those looking for it.
Userlevel 1
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Data sticks are only provided if a provider provides data only devices/plans. Koodo does not offe...

You're right Topper, since Koodo added Prepaid to his Postpaid service, it'll be very easy to offer Data-only Plans on their portfolio,wih existing 3G/LTE to its customers, I wonder if he does that, what will happen to existing customers that would like to switch their Talk/Text/Data Plans to only Data Plan?, that way he'll probably loose money with his Talk/Text Plans.
Userlevel 6
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Data sticks are only provided if a provider provides data only devices/plans. Koodo does not offe...

@Mat: a customer that switches to a data-only plan is still better than a customer that leaves to get something that fits his/her needs better from the competition. As an added bonus, you also get new customers that only considered data plans and who would have gone somewhere else otherwise. More choice amounts to more customers (and more revenue) in the wireless business world.
I think this could be a really good idea. Although we are part of Telus, alot of people extremely frustrated with Telus with their data plans and contracts. Maybe down the road if koodo offerd data only plans as well as being a discount cellular mobile provider. It might bring in alot more business.
Userlevel 7
I seriously doubt it... Rogers/Bell/Telus all have internet services so they offer data sticks/hubs to rural area clients and their plans are all nearly identical both in the tiers of usage but pricing as well. Unless Koodo does something awesome regarding the internet sticks, I think they'd just be better off recommending Telus for it - it may not be Koodo but try to keep it in the family, right?
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

I seriously doubt it... Rogers/Bell/Telus all have internet services so they offer data sticks/hu...

So far I have been happy with Koodo but not happy with Telus. Currently I'm not happy with the Telus agreement instead of a contract. It seems the main difference is they can change the price if you have an agreement ... Anyway, I'm not sure why Koodo is so much better but I'm glad they are. If Koodo offered data only plans I'd consider it. I wonder how that would work with the tab ...
Userlevel 1
Koodo should offer a data only plan if for no other reason that their customer who needs one doesn't have to deal with someone else. If I have to go to someone else to get this, might as well have my phone there also.
Steve wrote:

Koodo should offer a data only plan if for no other reason that their customer who needs one does...

Well considering some have basic data needs, the 3 gb (or Sask 6gb) plans should be good enough
Userlevel 3
Steve wrote:

Koodo should offer a data only plan if for no other reason that their customer who needs one does...

I think you mean Sask 5gb but it doesn't really change your point ... unless you can point me to the 6gb plan... Mmm ... Extra gb ...
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

Koodo should offer a data only plan if for no other reason that their customer who needs one does...

Correction Geoff, it's only 5GB not 6GB for SK/MB
Steve wrote:

Koodo should offer a data only plan if for no other reason that their customer who needs one does...

oops, Mat is correct

Userlevel 6
Data only plans would be great. So at least we can sell sim only activations for tablets.
Well if the $60 for 5 GB held I'd say we all use our phones as hotspots or tether

Reply