Koodo Community

Community

WE WANT a 25$ Monthly plan, without data


The main reason I went with Koodo is because of their cheap plans, which is NOT the case nowadays. The cheapest plan used to be 20$/month and now is 29$/month. I know the prices got up recently because the tabs are now for 2 years, but still, nearly a 10$ raise is not acceptable!! This is suppose to be compagny good for students!! I think it would be reasonnable if Koodo could bring back it's 25$ plan (without data) at least! C'mon people, can't you see you guys are getting ripped off!?

24 replies

Userlevel 7
To be completely fair, the $29 plan has a lot more value than the $20 plan did. Actually that same plan when Koodo first launched but with no caller ID and voicemail was $25. So the extra $4 for caller ID and voicemail is worth it. And considering the transition to 2 year contracts, the plan has plenty of value. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, you should really consider prepaid at that point
To be completely fair, I remember 2 or 3 Xmast ago there was a 25$ plan, 200 minutes, with voicemail and caller ID. This was reasonable.
Userlevel 7
True, but that limited time-only promo plan had evenings/weekends unlimited starting at 7PM whereas the $29 plan has them starting at 5PM. It might be down to 100 weekday minutes, but if you do the math, the 5PM start is an extra 120 minutes of free calling per day * average of 23 weekdays in a month = [b]2,760 additional minutes per month versus the $25 plan. I fail to understand how that extra $4/month, which is literally [b]$0.13 per day, is considered an unreasonable plan/increase and we are getting "ripped off", when the company can give you a cell phone that has more computing power than the one used in the first moon landing all for 0 down with no extra fees.
Jonathan I wrote:

True, but that limited time-only promo plan had evenings/weekends unlimited starting at 7PM where...

You don't understand my point. I don't care about having 2760 more minutes in my plan. I just want to pay less. Today's cell phones price and plans are way over exagerated. A lot of people just need a phone that does the job. Koodo is completing losing off track with its new plans. Just look at Public Mobile with its 25$/plan which has unlimited calls and texts world wide (including voicemail and caller ID). Koodo should at least have one cheap plan like this, maybe with less stuff included, but still with a reasonable price. And by the way, mister, if you save 4$/month, you save 55$ a year (with taxes). Cutting down useless expenses, that's how you make a student's budget.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

True, but that limited time-only promo plan had evenings/weekends unlimited starting at 7PM where...

So, why not go with Public then? They are onthe same network as telus and koodo. Or take koodo prepaid for $15 and you get unlimited text. $5 extra get you a few minutes to talk too.
Jonathan I wrote:

True, but that limited time-only promo plan had evenings/weekends unlimited starting at 7PM where...

As I told you before, I do not need 3000 minutes, but at least a certain minimum (100 or 150 minutes) with free nights and weekends, so Prepaid is not good for me. And I have to agree with you, I prefer Koodo than Public Mobile because they have a larger phone selection and a better customer service. But I am afraid they are changing their vision and what was their purpose initially (serve students). So I guess I will chose Public Mobile as my next phone carrier... However, I am surprise Koodo can't do nothing for its good clients, just telling them to choose another company !
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

True, but that limited time-only promo plan had evenings/weekends unlimited starting at 7PM where...

Hey, none of us here work for Koodo. 🙂 It's just an great forum they set up where truth can be spoken without your thread being deleted. They often listen to what people are saying and we've seen them improve things that were mentioned here. So, I do give kudos (pun intended) to them for being different unlike most other companies.
Jonathan I wrote:

True, but that limited time-only promo plan had evenings/weekends unlimited starting at 7PM where...

Ohh, I did not know that! Sorry ;p
Userlevel 6
Julien, the market as a whole is shifting towards higher priced plans, sadly. That's how it is. Carriers won't make a very basic plan that costs less. They will, however, add some sort of "value" to the plans they offer in order to keep prices high. The reason is, they get paid a higher amount, every month, whether or not you use that extra "value". And no, carriers don't care. They'd rather have you without cellphone service at all rather than having you on a $15 or $20 monthly plan (prepaid is another beast entirely, so I'll concentrate on postpaid). It's actually the same with cable companies. You can choose between cutting the cord or spending at least $60/month. There is nothing in between. Landline home phone service from Bell? Yes, old folks like to have that, and they pay dearly for it. With CallerID, a basic line with no LD can cost $40/month. See a pattern here? It's not only wireless carriers but ALL carriers, carrying all services, that are moving to higher priced services, as a whole. That's the reality we live in, and I get to think about it every time I fill up my car......
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The beauty of Koodo is that each and every idea is considered, we have been assured time and time again that even the most outlandish ones are looked at. Some of us even have had the privilege of being shown in person the process of how Koodo goes from discussing ideas to implementing or dismissing them. This is what I appreciate about Koodo: they stay really close to their customer base and no matter what we suggest, complain about or just want to talk about, they are always willing to listen. However, they are a business and out to make a profit. They are not a charity and as much as I would love to see their prices go down, I don't think that'll happen 😞 Comparing it to carriers like Public Mobile won't work either, because where we live (rural BC) we don't have that option available. PM is a regional carrier and thus no real competitor, not to mention it belongs to Telus now so all the profit goes to them either way. You mentioned a $25 plan without data at all for students, I'm actually puzzled about this. From these forums and others, I get the impression that ESPECIALLY students seem to crave data, data and more data. I always thought phone calls were out of fashion for anybody under 25... and nowadays you'll be hard pressed to find a non-smartphone anywhere. So although I don't think that Koodo will implement this idea, you can be assured that they will definitely consider it.
Nowadays, a lot of students lost the value of money. They are willing to pay 50 or 60$ for a phone plan but can barely pay for their studies. Fortunately, some of us, students, are still rational and prefer investing our money somewhere else. The thing with data, is that you always want more, you never have enough. Furthermore, I believe that data plans are affecting negatively our society. People are not living the moment anymore, they are too much focused on their virtual life, because with data, you are always in touch with it. Data encourage this situation, which is not the right way to live life. Even if I can afford myself a plan with more data, I would not. I prefer buying a quality phone, with no data plans. Not always having your social networks or emails next to you makes you focus on the real things in life. If Koodo wants to encourage this by adding data to their plans and increasing their prices, GOOD JOB KOODO. Continue to take advantage of this capitalist world, always realizing the consequences too late. I am a good client, I want to pay less, and I can't believe your cheapest plan is 29$/ month. This is not the Koodo I used to know.
Userlevel 7
Well if $4 more than the $25 plan you're requesting is unreasonable, you should really take a look at your finances. That's literally 13 cents/day. I understand it sucks not having the $25 anymore but it's not a massive ordeal like you're making it out to be.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Well if $4 more than the $25 plan you're requesting is unreasonable, you should really take a loo...

No point in continuing if the OP isn't going to be rational
Jonathan I wrote:

Well if $4 more than the $25 plan you're requesting is unreasonable, you should really take a loo...

Jonathan, it is not a question about finances, I have the money for any plans, it's a question about principles
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Well if $4 more than the $25 plan you're requesting is unreasonable, you should really take a loo...

Principles? What do you think Koodo is, a moral institution? This thread is seriously getting silly now. You may need to carry out your ideals elsewhere... I don't think a mobile phone community is the right place to talk about encouraging people not to use the Internet......... by forcing non-data plans on them.
Jonathan I wrote:

Well if $4 more than the $25 plan you're requesting is unreasonable, you should really take a loo...

Not internet in genreal, only internet on your cell phone, outside WiFi reach. I am not forcing anyone to do anything. Just what I think.
Userlevel 7
Julien, if you are literally going to ignore the responses of others here providing you legitimate reasons for changes to Koodo's plans and the overall telecom market and comment like they were never said, then there's no point in anyone commenting on this thread and no point in even looking at this as an idea IMO. Everything you just said... is your opinion and yours alone. Many, many other customers and students have much different opinions than yours, mine being one of them. You are the very small minority of customers who think that the $29 plan, or should I just say a $29 plan in general, is too much. Switch to prepaid if you don't want to spend money a lot of money on a cell phone, which in no way is $29 expensive in terms of cell phone plans. If you are the rational student like you claim you are, you actually wouldn't have one and use the many many different free platforms to contact family and friends. Or you would be on prepaid and have the phone for emergencies only. We're all Koodo customers too just like you so this isn't fake corporate bs people are saying to you.
Ahmad, what are you talking about, ignoring people? I commented on almost every point of this discussion, what is wrong with you? As I told you in my previous answer, prepaid is not enough for me, so why are you still bringing this up?

Second, be carefully with what you say, I did not meant to say that 29$ is expensive in general, I meant it's expensive for the cheapest plan.

Finally, I am not complaining about paying the less possible, I just wished Koodo could have another one of its cheap plans as it used to have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Haha I thought this thread reeked of deja vu... https://c.getsatisfaction.com/koodo/topics/the_return_of_the_25_plan
Sophia wrote:

Haha I thought this thread reeked of deja vu... https://c.getsatisfaction.com/koodo/topics/the_r...

Yes, because I want to let Koodo know I am still unhappy.

In 2013, Rogers Wireless offered me a 2-year introductory rate of $20/month for a basic talk/text plan, which was marketed at $30/month.

Today, would they do so for $25/month?

Userlevel 7
La Bocca Dello Stolto wrote:


In 2013, Rogers Wireless offered me a 2-year introductory rate of $20/month for a basic talk/tex...

Have you asked them? Try that and get back to us.
Userlevel 6
La Bocca Dello Stolto wrote:


In 2013, Rogers Wireless offered me a 2-year introductory rate of $20/month for a basic talk/tex...

Cheapest plan over at rogers is 35 right now in my province.
You get 200 minutes and that's it.

Just as a rule of thumb for the future,
If rogers offers you something that sounds nice
[b]Don't believe it.
La Bocca Dello Stolto wrote:


In 2013, Rogers Wireless offered me a 2-year introductory rate of $20/month for a basic talk/tex...

"Have you asked them? Try that and get back to us."

In 2013, I took the bait.  So, today, I would no longer be eligible for an introductory rate. 

I could ask on behalf of someone else. However, they offered me the intro rate [i]arbitrarily. (I had been a Rogers [i]Pay As You Go customer. Guess I should have mentioned that.)

"Cheapest plan over at rogers is 35 right now in my province.
You get 200 minutes and that's it."

So, theoretically, the new introductory rate would be $25/month ($10 off/month).

"Just as a rule of thumb for the future,
If rogers offers you something that sounds nice
[b]Don't believe it."

Hustle come, hustle go.

Reply