Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Warranty Issue - Who to talk to?

Disappointed in Koodo. Purchased a phone/plan a month ago, Nexus 4 stock on Google Logo, went to drop it off for repair. They refused because it has a 1mm scratch on the side. Phone has never been dropped, but I guess that is their way of getting people to buy new phones. Will be filing a claim with the CRTC and submitting photos. The only help they could give me is a print out of an XDA forum with steps how to Factory Restore a Nexus 7 tablet, which would involve unlocking the bootloader and voiding the warranty, guess it is a quick way to get out of repairing my phone.

27 replies

Userlevel 2
And what exactly is the issue with your phone? Generally speaking, any physical damage that is found that is causing the issue with your phone would result in a quote being sent from the manufacturer. Also only Koodo Shops can send phones away for repairs, not retailers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here, Nas. Who is "they" who advised you that? Factory restoring the Nexus does not unlock the bootloader by the way, and it sounds like you have a software problem? What exactly is wrong with the phone?
The battery died and when I got home plugged it in and was stuck on the Google logo. As for the restoring the factory image part of the instruction list is unlocking the bootloader "which voids the warranty" I never realized there was a scratch on the side of the phone, i guess it is from keeping it in my pocket. And I did go to a Koodo store. The scratch as nothing to do with the phone being stuck on Google screen. A Koodo employee printed out the XDA-forum instructions "which were for a Nexus 7 Tablet" and asked me to follow the steps since he won't send it in for warranty repair as there was a scratch on the side.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nas Masalma wrote:

The battery died and when I got home plugged it in and was stuck on the Google logo. As for the r...

That must be some scratch! I have never heard of a phone being refused because of a 1mm scratch, would you please post a picture of that, Nas?
Userlevel 2
There should be no reason for the Shop to decline sending the phone away for repair. Go back to the store & try again. If they give you guff, call Koodo right from the store and the agents can talk to the Store rep.
Userlevel 4
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Will try another location today. But what a huge pain in the !!!. I worked in telecom for 5 years and trained over 40 telecom reps in Edmonton. Have no time to keep going back and forth as I need my phone for work. The level of service was sub standard. Waited beside the kiosk for 20 minutes while they were serving other customers, a simple hello or acknowledgment goes a LONG way in retail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nas Masalma wrote:

Will try another location today. But what a huge pain in the !!!. I worked in telecom for 5 years...

Which Kiosk was causing you the problem?
Nas Masalma wrote:

Will try another location today. But what a huge pain in the !!!. I worked in telecom for 5 years...

6928 - Southgate Mall (Edmonton, Alberta) I have the employee number but don't want to post it.
Userlevel 2
Nas Masalma wrote:

/Enter SM Agent mode/ You can submit an email to Customer Service with all the appropriate information. They will follow up and investigate the matter. https://secure.koodomobile.com/account/appmanager/support/contactus
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nas Masalma wrote:

I have been to this one. They do make you wait a bit when they are busy
Nas Masalma wrote:

I have no problem with waiting, a simple "Hello" "I will be right with you" goes a LOOONG way in the retail world.
Userlevel 6
Nas Masalma wrote:

I completely agree with you Nas! And it's such a simple thing as you said.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nas Masalma wrote:

If you have the flexibility I love the kiosk at West Ed (both of them actually), and the one at City Center mall i go to often since it is closest to my work. I highly recommend those ones based on my experiences thus far, but I do notice a good rotation of staff at both of these locations
Userlevel 2
Hey Nas, do you have any updates for us? (totall feel like an SM agent right now, LOL).
Userlevel 6
Hi Nas, can you send us a detailed email as suggested by Myke: http://koo.do/YqucV0 ? Please don't forget to add all the info about the store and reps. We really want to have a look into it as you should still be able to send your phone for repair, even if the actual issue wasn't covered by the warranty (in that case, you would inform you of the repair cost). In the meanwhile, can you go to another store http://koo.do/Ns3gkQ ? Thank you! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Yannick wrote:

Hi Nas, can you send us a detailed email as suggested by Myke: http://koo.do/YqucV0 ? Please don'...

I did that yesterday, and already went to another location and they sent my phone for repair. It is just a hassle to have to drive across town for a warranty repair.
I went to the Kiosk in West Edmonton Mall, first downstairs they were busy and instructed me to go upstairs. Went there and they took the phone for warranty repair and provided me with a loaner. Smooth transaction. Just wish I didn't have to drive across the city to get some service. According to the rep in the original location who refused to send it, Koodo will send the phone back and won't repair it because of the scratch. I hope that won't be the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nas Masalma wrote:

I went to the Kiosk in West Edmonton Mall, first downstairs they were busy and instructed me to g...

At least they acknowledged you to let you know about upstairs lol I told you they were good at West Ed 🙂