Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Want Wireless Home Phone, but Koodo is unable to grab our current home number we have with VMEDIA.

Koodo is unable to port our current home number we have with VMEDIA. Is there a cheap voip service we can transfer our number to (ie: YAK) and then after that port it to Koodo Wireless Home Phone? Is YAK listed as a service they can deal with?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If VMEDIA is unwilling to release the number to Koodo, they probably won't release it to a VOIP service either. I think it would be best if you contact them directly....
Sophia wrote:

If VMEDIA is unwilling to release the number to Koodo, they probably won't release it to a VOIP s...

It's not that VMEDIA is unwilling, it's that it's not in Koodo's list of companies.  When we went to get the home wireless, the Koodo employee showed us that it wasn't showing up on their list of companies to get the phone number transferred from, they did try "OTHER" but that didn't work either, their system came up with an error.   I'm sure VMEDIA would have no problems releasing the number.   The Koodo employee said one option might be for us to have the number changed to a company they have in the list, and then at that point transfer over, but I was trying to remember if "YAK" was one of them.  (edit: basically, the problem is we couldn't get far on Koodo's end of things.. so I mean, I can contact Vmedia, but that won't solve the problem that Koodo won't get past that inital sign-up phase to even request the number from vmedia)
Userlevel 7
If by chance they will, I use voip.ms very reasonable but you have to pay in US funds and the lowest top up is 25$ However they have a ton of services for do it yourself ers
Chad Burr wrote:

If by chance they will, I use voip.ms very reasonable but you have to pay in US funds and the low...

I'm not sure if voip.ms is in their list either... it would be nice if they would make their list public to see, otherwise I'm going to have to make a trip back to to it and find out what their list of companies is.  (for some reason I keep thinking Yak was in it)... otherwise we'll go back to Rogers, or go to PRIMUS (they have already confirmed that they can indeed acquire the number from vmedia), and then go to Koodo from there.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If by chance they will, I use voip.ms very reasonable but you have to pay in US funds and the low...

I ported my number from Koodo to voip.ms Not sure if it works the other way but you should check them out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why not port to your local landline supplier? If they do not have the ability to port, you are truly hooped.
David wrote:

Why not port to your local landline supplier? If they do not have the ability to port, you are tr...

Landline supplier is possible... either Bell, Rogers or Primus we can transfer to, but is about 50 dollars (plus setup more than likely), so I'm trying to see if there is a voip that is within their listed companies that they deal with, because most of them would be closer to 10 bucks or so.... we are just trying to find the cheapest work around.  Otherwise, as you mentioned, we'll just go with a traditional landline (since our experiences aren't good with either Bell or Rogers, Primus traditional will likely be it)
(... the reason we aren't staying with vmedia's voip service, is because the phone contstantly does this weird beeping noise when we use it... its the sound of someone pressing down on a touchtone button lasts for about 2 seconds and randomly does it... so we've had it with voip, plus if the internet goes down we loose the phone)
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

Why not port to your local landline supplier? If they do not have the ability to port, you are tr...

Are you using your own ATA? You may need to edit your call settings. Let me know what ATA you have and maybe I can help you switch sone of those settings and get rid of those tones. Not that I wouldn't want you to switch to Koodo, but maybe we can work together and get this fixed.
David wrote:

Thanks for your interest in helping us out : )   I've actually sent our tech support an email asking about the beeping, haven't heard back yet.  I'm not sure what an ATA is, hahaha, is that the adapter we use?  If so it's the
Grandstream HT701 Adapter
https://www.vmedia.ca/en/phone/ht701 )  
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

Are you able to access the settings? If so look for Dtmf Strict hold off time Set it to 70ms (make a note of the original settings just in case you want to set it back) If you're not able to access the settings ask the tech support to do it for you. If this doesn't work ask them to change your codec
David wrote:

Cool, thanks a lot Chad!
 will try that later on (am not able to do it at this moment)