Koodo Community

Community

Solved

want to switch phone to MY name, but have no drivers licence

I have an old plan, but it's not in my name...it's in an old girlfriend's name, as I don't have a driver licence and it was easier to just get it in her name. we broke up. I want the phone in my name,and I want to upgrade my plan and get a new phone. how would I go about doing this without a drivers licence or any other form of acceptable photo ID?

15 replies

Userlevel 2
Well, the only other option would be to have her call in to set up a Transfer of Ownership. Then you would call Koodo & give them your SIN & CC number for a credit check. Assuming you pass the credit check, the account would be under your name. Beyond this, there isn't much else you can do to get the account into your name.
Are you both still on talking terms Amanda ?
we are not talking, no. I am listed as the account owner but not the account manager. I want her off the account and I want to be able to make changes. I don't even know if I can cancel the phone without her permission.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda Person wrote:

we are not talking, no. I am listed as the account owner but not the account manager. I want her...

Unfortunately, you will need the account owner's permission to get the phone in you name, Amanda 😞
Amanda Person wrote:

we are not talking, no. I am listed as the account owner but not the account manager. I want her...

I am listed as the account owner...she is the account manager tho..maybe this is easier then I thought
Userlevel 2
Amanda Person wrote:

You said you WEREN'T listed as the account owner. Whose name was the account activated under?
Userlevel 4
Amanda Person wrote:

Account owner vs Account Manager is a Self Serve labelling system. That would have no impact on you being able to cancel the account. The only thing I can think of is to get a new account under your name with w.e ID you have such as credit card and SIN.
Amanda Person wrote:

I just checked and I am the account owner, but the account was activated in her name. the bills are in her name...
Userlevel 4
Amanda Person wrote:

In that case, you are unable to cancel the account. Read my post above.
Userlevel 2
Amanda Person wrote:

The account is in her name then, not yours.
Amanda Person wrote:

WAIT!!! the bill is in my name, but she activated the account as I don't have a drivers licence. I just checked. so I guess the account is mine?
Userlevel 4
Amanda Person wrote:

Wait..what? That is not possible. If the account is in your name, it would need to have YOUR credit information attached to it. If you were to log into Self Serve and go to Billing, download the ebill. When you are able to view a digital copy of the bill, whose name appears on page 1?
Userlevel 2
Amanda Person wrote:

Tyler is right. If the account is under your ex's name, the bill is not in yours.
Only the an account owner can make major changes, like adding a line, cancelling a line and transferring a line.
Userlevel 5
From the sounds of it, your only on there as a user of the account. Which means you cant do anything on the account without her. Myke mentioned a transfer of ownership at the top, but you will still need a government issue photo ID. No cell phone carrier will be able to do anything without a photo ID.