Koodo Community

Community

Solved

VOIP options

I recently moved to a new unit in a concrete building where my Koodo phone reception is very poor (one bar is the average), despite Koodo having tried it’s best to improve the quality of the signal. Now I’m thinking of setting up a voip phone at home so I can talk without having the calls constantly drop. I know it’s only slightly Koodo related, but I figure out many Koodo users have voip phone. I’d like to know two things: 1) What the best options between buying a voip phone and buying a SIP box or a voip converter (or adapter); 2) I understand that I’ll have to get the voip service from a provider to whom I will pay a monthly fee (rather small compared to a landline). There a many (my own ISP is offering the service). Can I use a DID phone number with my voip phone? 

Aside from this voip solution, I don’t know if there are other options to get around the poor signal reception. I heard about signal boosters, but voip still seem like a better idea.

Thanks!

Philippe

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Well since your cell phone has wifi you could get away without buying additional hardware.

Here's what I do

I have an account with voip.ms

I only give out my voip number which rings my cell and a sip application on my phone called Zoiper.

Zoiper is set to only connect over wifi. So if my Zoiper phone isn't registered with wifi then I answer with my cell and if it is then I still get the call on my cell but through Zoiper.

This way I never have to give anyone my actual number and I'm free to switch carriers to get the best possible deal whenever and with whomever. If you have an older android phone sitting around doing nothing you can set that up as a Zoiper home phone. The only signal booster I know that works is the Wilson Repeater sold at best buy. It's expensive however.
Thanks Chad! I’m all setup with an account registered within Zoiper. I do I force the app to use only Wi-Fi? And do you force it to run in the background?
Userlevel 7
Philippe wrote:

Thanks Chad! I’m all setup with an account registered within Zoiper. I do I force the app to use ...

Configuration, advanced, supported networks

Userlevel 7
Run in background Configuration, connectivity

Chad Burr wrote:

Run in background Configuration, connectivity
[img]https://d1qy7qyune0vt1.cloudfront.net/ko...

Thanks Chad for the detailed instructions. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could also look to Telus Extend if you wish to switch providers.
Userlevel 6
David wrote:

What is Telus Extend and how can it improve his connectivity?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

Telus Extend is a VoIP solution which extends ones phone number for voice and SMS services while disconnected from cellular, but connected to Wi-Fi. It was created for this use scenario.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you already have a VoIP account and a device registered, you may have to add your softphone with your provider as an additional or separate extension. Otherwise, attempting to register may be blocked as a potential hacking attempt.