Koodo Community

Community

Using ID


I think that you should not have to have a driver's liscence to get a phone or change your plan. I have been a customer of Koodo since 2004 and never once have I been asked for a driver's liscence and told that I couldn't change my plan because I don't have one until recently. That is not fair to people like me and my husband who don't have a liscence. You should take health cards or SIN cards for ID as well.

19 replies

Userlevel 3
The problem with health cards or SIN is that they don't have a photo. it doesn't need to be a drivers licences. A provincial ID should work just the same.
Health cards do have photos on them and I don't have any other form of ID.
Userlevel 3
Faith Prowse wrote:

Health cards do have photos on them and I don't have any other form of ID.

Hmm mine doesn't, must be a province thing. You can go to your DMV or Canada Agency building whatever it is in your area and grab a provincial ID. You really should have one as most places that require ID will only accept IDs or a licence. As for Koodo requesting a valid ID or license i can only assume they do not accept health cards as they are not standardized across Canada and likely lack the security features of a Provincial ID.
Faith Prowse wrote:

Health cards do have photos on them and I don't have any other form of ID.

It is actually illegal for them to accept health cards. The bars are also suppose to not accept health cards as forms of ID but they usually let it slide. So it has nothing to do with Koodo and everything to do with Ontario provincial laws.
In most provinces such as Ontario it is Illegal to use a health card as photo ID. This is because the purpose of your health card is to access your health records. Koodo does not decline health cards as photo ID as a choice its law. I know Alberta still accepts health cards as photo ID but I'm not sure about the rest of the provinces. If you are in Ontario I know you can get an Ontario card for about $35 through service Canada it only takes a couple weeks to receive it and that can be accepted anywhere. I would bet other provinces have similar options. And SIN cards are accepted but you still need to have some sort of photo ID to back it up.
Userlevel 5
Ness wrote:

In most provinces such as Ontario it is Illegal to use a health card as photo ID. This is because...

Alberta health cards don't have a photo on them. As such they can't be used as photo ID.
Ness wrote:

In most provinces such as Ontario it is Illegal to use a health card as photo ID. This is because...

Oh then I was informed wrong thanks.
Userlevel 5
Ness wrote:

In most provinces such as Ontario it is Illegal to use a health card as photo ID. This is because...

No problem 🙂
Userlevel 4
I hope it was a typo...Koodo started in 2008. In Ontario there is the Age of Majority cards that are just as useful as driver's lisences when getting new services. They are about $35, light purple in colour, and take maybe a week to be delivered to you. I got mine within 5 days from when I went in the Service Ontario office. Not too sure about other provinces... What I don't understand is why you need photo ID to change your plan... If you go to the store to change your plan, I would strongly recommend not to. You can log into Self Serve to do it or call Koodo. Koodo charges $10 for a plan change if you have an active Self Serve account.
The reason you need photo id to make any changes at a koodo Kiosk is because we need to make sure you are the account owner or an authorized user of the account. Would you want someone making changes to your account without your permission? Its for security.
But just a heads up plan changes can no longer be made at koodo Kiosk anyway unless you are activating or upgrading but for any other account changes we still need photo id.
Userlevel 4
Ness wrote:

But just a heads up plan changes can no longer be made at koodo Kiosk anyway unless you are activ...

I remember reading something about that when I was at work. It will make things a bit easier for the store reps since they have many people walking in for questions, upgrades, repairs. Having to change a rate plan should never have been allowed at the store. Nothing against the store reps, it's just they have enough to do as it is with the previously mentioned scenerios. lol
Ness wrote:

But just a heads up plan changes can no longer be made at koodo Kiosk anyway unless you are activ...

I am a store rep and I think that there are plenty of other things they could do to save us time. Changing a plan takes about 30 seconds, its the recommendations and explaining why it would be better to switch or how they can save some money that takes time. I don't mind people coming in to ask questions about new plans and promos, now its just more frustrating for us and the client because I can tell them why they should switch plans but can't do it for them? I know they want to promote self serve more and stuff but not all our clients have computers and many senior clients don't like making the changes online. Also some people are unsure of which plan they should switch to which is why they come to the store for advice. I hate the fact that we can't change plans in store now.
Userlevel 4
Ness wrote:

But just a heads up plan changes can no longer be made at koodo Kiosk anyway unless you are activ...

I totally understand your point. An excellent point at that. 😃 At least when the customer goes in the store, they can talk to the person face to face and have that agent physically point out the plan and features. I've noticed a lot of people prefer the visuals opposed to taking someone's word for it. I do prefer the personal touch myself (keep your minds out of the gutter) That's why I still go into my bank for transactions. I like talking to someone I can see. Kind of ironic considering I work tech over the phone.... Just my opinion on the matter but I do recall hearing about a few bad apples in the stores that ruined it for everyone else like yourself due to the misinformation and/or general lack of education on the plans. That lack of education is either how they were trained or thier own disregard for thier job. People like you and Jonathan are awesome for posting experiences on this community. I, myself would like to be a store rep but I might have to shave my beard...
Ok but my next issue is that I have had the phone since 2008 (and yes that was a typo) and have NEVER been asked for ID before. Ever. And at the present time I can't get the age of majority card because I don't have my birth certificate and I am having some trouble getting it or I would have that card.
Faith Prowse wrote:

Ok but my next issue is that I have had the phone since 2008 (and yes that was a typo) and have ...

I'm sry your having such a hard time with everything, being a store rep it is frustrating for us too. You may not have been asked for ID in the past but it is our job to do so on every account, you may have had store reps previously that either knew who you were or just were not doing their job properly. Maybe management has changed at the kiosk and they are getting more strict on policy. Although as I said earlier ID should always be checked on an account for your security. I have had people before wanting to make changes to their boyfriends or girlfriends accounts, kids wanting to make changes to parents accounts or parents trying to make changes to their grown kids accounts. In most cases they are just trying to help but we don't know that for sure and we don't know if that person wants their plan changed. So therefore it is very important that we know who is trying to make changes to the account.
Userlevel 1
Faith, if you live in Ontario, you have this option and I strongly suggest that you do get it : http://www.ontario.ca/government/ontario-photo-card My grandmother was in the same boat as you and they would not let her vote, get a passport and let her in at the bar (just kidding for the last one).
Userlevel 7
Certificate of Citizenship cards have photos on them, some of my clients have used that too. Indian status card works as well (I have one myself).
Userlevel 7
You can use a passport too

Reply