Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Upgrading but don't want to lose my Canada-Wide $25 plan!

I want to upgrade my phone and keep my Canada Wide talk and text 25 DBL $25. I called Koodo and someone told me I could do the Samsung S4 on tab medium $100 off right now) and keep the plan. Two stores (The Mobile Shop at Loblaws and Future Shop) say no, that I need a new plan. What is the answer?!

6 replies

Userlevel 6
You have to choos Susie. If you want to keep your $25 plan you can only have the phone on small tab. In order to get tab medium you have to be on a plan that's a minimum of $30. The people future shop and loblaws were correct.
Thanks Rudy. I wish I could have gotten that answer when I originally called Koodo....hopes raised then dashed upon the ground! Merry Christmas!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Susie, even if you were eligible to upgrade to Tab M with your plan, that $100 off would've been paid back by you and more ($5/month Tab M fee = $120 + taxes over 2 years). Sure, it's better than not having that $100 off. Have you considered buying the phone used from eBay or Kijiji? That's always an option, but you should make sure you exercise due diligence when buying. Also, what's your current device? The Moto G may be a worthwhile upgrade, and you could get it for free on Tab S.
Ivan wrote:

Susie, even if you were eligible to upgrade to Tab M with your plan, that $100 off would've been ...

Ivan - I have the Samsung Galaxy Ace (3 years old). My husband was originally looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3. How does the Moto G compare? Actually I just looked at it and it does not have expandable memory (still a step up from my old phone) and only a USB charger. Not sure I'd like that. any comments on S3?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Susie, even if you were eligible to upgrade to Tab M with your plan, that $100 off would've been ...

I've used the Moto G, and it's one of my favourite Android devices due to the hardware you get for the money. Honestly, experience-wise, the only thing you're losing over an S3 or S4 is the camera. But it's still an upgrade over your current phone. Sure, there isn't a card slot for expanding the memory. Do you need more than 8 GB? Motorola isn't big on loading lots of unnecessary software so you'd get a lot more free space than you would on an 8 GB Samsung. If you can't live with8 GB, Staples sells an unlocked Moto G for $230+ tax. If you buy that instead of going on a tab, you can save 10% off of your monthly bill. http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-MOTO-G-16GB-Smartphone-Unlocked/product_1013953_2-CA_1_20001
Ivan wrote:

8G is way better than the less than 300MB I get now! I see the unlocked version gets 16G. Being a Samsung fan I was looking at the Galaxy Core. Same price but 16G. I will take a serious look at both and like the fact that on either one I can do tab small and keep my current plan. I only use WiFi and rarely make calls so it is mostly for text and games for me and my kids. Thanks Ivan - great info!