Koodo Community

Upgraded my phone today, and store used all my data upgrating...

• 11 December 2020
  • 12 replies

I bought a I phone 12 today and the store transferred all my apps while a was not there. Picked up the phone in Miramichi NB at Koodoo and by the time i got home. All my data was used! Now they want me to pay for more if i want to use my phone…

I called the service department and they said that i was responsible for it. And i said that the store was using the phone for transferring all my contacts and all…

She said that there is always apps updating in the back ground…

Now new phone and NO data….. Great Koodoo!!

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What time did koodo have the phone?

They had the phone until after 3:30 pm

and he said that “there might be more updates to do”

he didn’t say that the phone will continue to update, i had a 45 min drive back home. Once there my data was all used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So, this was your upgrade, correct?

Why a store rep transfer your apps since you could do it once you get home and connect to WIFI?  Or did you ask them to do it?

Is there more than one store in Miramichi NB?  Do you remember the rep name?

What is your billing cycle and how much data they used for this transfer?( I mean roughly)

Yes that was my upgrade.

The stored offered to do the transfer from one phone to the other and said go finish your christmas shoping and come back in 20-30 minutes. When i got to the store the phone was still doing updates. and the phone was NEVER connected to a wiffi in the store.

There is only one store in Miramichi and it was a guy that was serving me (He’s the only male working in that store)

My cycle of billing is from the 6th of each months, and all my data was used yesterday, way before i got home. They used my 4gb of data..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The data might not be necessarily consumed everything at the store but on the way when you took it home. 

Normally after a transfer from one iPhone to another, the iPhone is still downloading data from icloud (photo/imessage). These could be a significant amount. Also if the phone needed some update for app and iOS, it could download those also. It is kinda a pain, but I would suggest you to complain it to the store manager. Ask him to train his rep and if possible give you some extra data. 

Badge +4

By default, mobile data and Wi-Fi Assist are both enabled by the factory on iOS devices. Generally, larger system updates will only download over Wi-Fi. App updates, though usually a lot smaller in size, will download over mobile data.

It’s possible your iPhone 12 may have been connected to in-store Wi-Fi, upon leaving the store, Wi-Fi Assist would have automatically switched to using mobile data.

The other possibility is that mobile data was never turned off throughout the entire time from store visit to your home. While the in-store experience may have used a gigabyte or two of data, the trip home could have used the remaining amount of data.

You can send a private message to Koodo’s Facebook page explaining your situation https://www.facebook.com/Koodo. No guarantees, but worth a shot at getting your data back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you look at your usage in self serve, what time was the data used?

I did the same. The store used 600 mbs of data. Maybe it's just a thing but I think Koodo should replace the data used considering you are choosing their service. I stayed with Koodo when I got the phone but I'm still getting charged a $45 connection fee. The salesperson said contact Koodo and they'll wave that fee. I'll see I guess.

Badge +4

I did the same. The store used 600 mbs of data. Maybe it's just a thing but I think Koodo should replace the data used considering you are choosing their service. I stayed with Koodo when I got the phone but I'm still getting charged a $45 connection fee. The salesperson said contact Koodo and they'll wave that fee. I'll see I guess.

If you’re a new Koodo customer (not an upgrading customer), I believe there is a ten-day grace period that allows customers to familiarize themselves with their new phone. Data is unlimited for the period and should not take away from the data allotment that is included in the customers' monthly rate plan.

The $45 charge is the in-store connection fee. Had you ordered your phone online, the $45 connection fee is waived. If the ten-day grace period is in effect, this essentially cancels out the claim made against Koodo for using your data. No guarantees, but there may be a slim possibility where Koodo decides to reverse the connection fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you’re a new Koodo customer (not an upgrading customer), I believe there is a ten-day grace period that allows customers to familiarize themselves with their new phone. Data is unlimited for the period and should not take away from the data allotment that is included in the customers' monthly rate plan.

The $45 charge is the in-store connection fee. Had you ordered your phone online, the $45 connection fee is waived. If the ten-day grace period is in effect, this essentially cancels out the claim made against Koodo for using your data. No guarantees, but there may be a slim possibility where Koodo decides to reverse the connection fee.

The unlimited data add-on is no longer available. If I recalled correctly Bernard mentioned it was replaced with something with 100MB data add-on.

Badge +4

The unlimited data add-on is no longer available. If I recalled correctly Bernard mentioned it was replaced with something with 100MB data add-on.

The ten-day grace period was never an add-on and was never really advertised. (One of Koodo’s best-kept secrets). If this program has been scrapped, I stand corrected.

On another note, I think it would be prudent for in-store reps to offer customers the option to have mobile data disabled during phone setup. This way there will be fewer if any occurrences of in-store data usage. While we tech-savvy folks are aware that mobile data is enabled by default from the factory on both Android and iOS devices, there are some customers who may not be aware of this.

If you are facing any software issue like the application stopped working, Bootloop issues, IMEI issues, dead issues, you can download the firmware file to fix the issues. You can also downgrade, upgrade and reinstall OS in your device and this file is unique for every phone. micromax d303