Feedback
Unexplained Excessive Data Usage | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

Unexplained Excessive Data Usage

• 12 September 2021
  • 8 replies

I have an 8BG/month plan.  I sometimes get the 50% usage notification before the new billing cycle begins.  Yesterday, on day 5 of my billing cycle, I blew through my data, added 3GB and blew through 90% of that while my phone showed I was connected to WiFi.  My WiFi assist is off.  Please help!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have an 8BG/month plan.  I sometimes get the 50% usage notification before the new billing cycle begins.  Yesterday, on day 5 of my billing cycle, I blew through my data, added 3GB and blew through 90% of that while my phone showed I was connected to WiFi.  My WiFi assist is off.  Please help!

Did you check your Self-Serve account to see when and how much was used? Is your wifi connection working properly? Did you set a data limit on your phone, so it does not go over? 

Sorry, screenies are on my phone, but chat was set up on my computer.  I think I have the “don’t go over” plan in place.  I was at the hockey arena watching my son, so I wasn’t even on my phone that much.  I have a lot on the go right now, so couldn’t not have data, and my wifi had a full “rainbow” showing.  the only thing I did that entire time period was whatsapp, email, text and sent one 9 second video.  Thank you for your time.

And if it matters, it was a free Telus WiFi that i was on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unless you block cellular usage for certain app, you cannot 100% sure if the app doesn't consume cellular data. Wifi network isn't always good especially with “free” network. Sometimes the network was down and the phone used cellular data instead. 

I would recommend you check data usage of various app in Settings » cellular and see which apps (or system) was consuming the most. From that you can try to block that app from using cellular data. By the way, could you recall what you were doing at that time? Was there any new update from your icloud? Watching movies? Facebook? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And if it matters, it was a free Telus WiFi that i was on.

It seems to me you may not actually be connected to their hotspot at all, even though it shows that you were on it. Did you receive any pop-ups asking you to connect to wifi after you selected it? Did you click it? If so, did it redirect you to another page, telling you that you are connected? If none of this happened, you may have been using your own data all along, which explains the high data usage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go into your Settings > Cellular on your phone.

This is where you phone tracks data usage. Does it show which app may be using more data than expected?