Koodo Community
Question

Unexplained Excessive Data Usage

• 12 September 2021
  • 13 replies

I have an 8BG/month plan.  I sometimes get the 50% usage notification before the new billing cycle begins.  Yesterday, on day 5 of my billing cycle, I blew through my data, added 3GB and blew through 90% of that while my phone showed I was connected to WiFi.  My WiFi assist is off.  Please help!

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have an 8BG/month plan.  I sometimes get the 50% usage notification before the new billing cycle begins.  Yesterday, on day 5 of my billing cycle, I blew through my data, added 3GB and blew through 90% of that while my phone showed I was connected to WiFi.  My WiFi assist is off.  Please help!

Did you check your Self-Serve account to see when and how much was used? Is your wifi connection working properly? Did you set a data limit on your phone, so it does not go over? 

Sorry, screenies are on my phone, but chat was set up on my computer.  I think I have the “don’t go over” plan in place.  I was at the hockey arena watching my son, so I wasn’t even on my phone that much.  I have a lot on the go right now, so couldn’t not have data, and my wifi had a full “rainbow” showing.  the only thing I did that entire time period was whatsapp, email, text and sent one 9 second video.  Thank you for your time.

And if it matters, it was a free Telus WiFi that i was on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unless you block cellular usage for certain app, you cannot 100% sure if the app doesn't consume cellular data. Wifi network isn't always good especially with “free” network. Sometimes the network was down and the phone used cellular data instead. 

I would recommend you check data usage of various app in Settings » cellular and see which apps (or system) was consuming the most. From that you can try to block that app from using cellular data. By the way, could you recall what you were doing at that time? Was there any new update from your icloud? Watching movies? Facebook? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And if it matters, it was a free Telus WiFi that i was on.

It seems to me you may not actually be connected to their hotspot at all, even though it shows that you were on it. Did you receive any pop-ups asking you to connect to wifi after you selected it? Did you click it? If so, did it redirect you to another page, telling you that you are connected? If none of this happened, you may have been using your own data all along, which explains the high data usage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go into your Settings > Cellular on your phone.

This is where you phone tracks data usage. Does it show which app may be using more data than expected? 

Hi everyone!  Thank you all for your replies.  I somehow missed notifications of your help!

I reset my data counter before posting, so I am unable to see which app used my data.  Rookie mistake.

However, koodo has also been providing my son with extra data, 100MB at a time, to the tune of $7/100MB when he goes over his monthly 4GB.  I accused him of requesting the data as his phone is supposed to be locked off for extra data.  While I was looking at the notifications which he received from koodo, a message popped up on his screen asking if he wanted to use MY hotspot!  So I don’t know if some how someone used my hotspot,  but when I checked my phone settings, my hotspot was off, and I have never acted as a hotspot ever.  (He wasn’t requesting data.  Koodo just keeps providing it and charging me….)

The only unusual thing I can think of is that I was on public wifi approximately a week before all this happened and I got a notification asking if I wanted to share the public wifi password with a friend’s phone.  I tried to, but when I asked him later he said he didn’t get a notification and got the password on his own.  Otherwise, I haven’t done anything different.  And this friend wasn’t at my house when Koodo says I used 3+ GB of data.  No movies, no videos.  Facebook, Whatsapp, texting, web browser and one 9 second video.  I can’t even find a reason to use that much data in such a short amount of time!

I’ve been keeping my data off whenever possible, but it’s extremely inconvenient.  I need to get alerts when I’m out.  And iMessage doesn’t seem to work properly when I don’t have data or wifi, even though I have my settings set to “send a SMS when iMessage unavailable.”  Without having data on, it’s almost like I don’t have a smartphone.  Grrrr……

Thank you all.  Thank goodness for a great community of fellow customers, because after 2.5 hours trying to deal with Koodo all they said is that it was my fault, to turn my data off and turn off my wifi assist.  No explanation, just blame and extra charges on my bill (for the 3GB I panic bought in the moment).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How do you know it was your hotspot?

Did you take a screen shot of this so you can show us? 

If you reset your data counter I would keep a closer eye on it near the end of each billing period to see if anything is awry. If it all looks normal and good you can reset the data counter for the start of the next billing period. I would honestly set a reminder to do this at the end of every billing period. 

The pop up on my son’s phone asked if he wanted to use my hotspot.  I don’t know if that’s what caused the data usage, it was just an unusual thing I thought might be relevant.  I did not take a screenshot.  Another lesson learned!

And yes, I will reset my data counter and cross my fingers.  (I called Koodo about the issue with my son’s data and harped on about this problem too and even the employee said it was very strange.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry I'm confused. Is it your phone that is blowing through data and I curing overage or is it your son's phone? 

This just happened to me today. Actually it happened twice this week - 2 gigs once and 3 gigs the second time. I have all the data saving setting activated. I was at home, on wifi. And both times I wasn’t even using my phone.  It’s my own phone so I know the habits. Hotpot is always turned off. Koodo blamed me too. I really wonder if this is a glitch. In the last 5 years of cell phone use, I use on average 1 gig a month. My phone has literally never used 3 gigs all at once for anything.