Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Two week-old phone stolen -- can I stay with Koodo?


I've been a Koodo customer for two years. Two weeks ago, I used my tab to upgrade my phone to a Galaxy S4. (this is the only phone I've acquired through Koodo). Yesterday, my phone was stolen. I've cancelled/blocked the service, but now I need a new phone. I would like to stay with Koodo, but it seems to me that my best option is to cancel Koodo altogether, pay off my $150 tab, and go to Fido or Virgin who will sell me a new Galaxy with a $300 discount for signing up. I realize it is not Koodo's fault, nor is it mine, but it seems crazy to me that it would actually cost me more money to stay with Koodo now than to take my business elsewhere. I wish there was a way around it because I really am happy with the service and plans, but I simply cannot plop down another $700 for yet another new phone right now. Any ideas? This is a very sad and frustrating situation for me.

33 replies

Userlevel 1
This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down your phone via gps) (Probably stole your phone because that person knows koodo will charge $700 now. See what you have done koodo, people stealing phones because of this ridiculous prices!) You are better off complaining like theirs no tomorrow and hopefully koodo will do something. I recently seen something simular on here. (Some guy complained for 5 days straight, in the end he got what he wanted.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EDITthis wrote:

This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down y...

Yeah, because nobody EVER stole an S4 before Koodo raised their price.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EDITthis wrote:

This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down y...

I would personally not advocate complaining for 5 days straight, EDITthis 🙂 I think that was a unique case in more ways than one and not something I'd enjoy to see repeated in a hurry 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EDITthis wrote:

This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down y...

Agreed
EDITthis wrote:

This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down y...

Since this is no fault of Koodo's, I don't intend to "complain." I am more seeking a solution. I will keep communicating until I hear some kind of response from Koodo. So far they have not replied to either of my two emails; on the phone they were all but dismissive (I was literally in tears, having just been robbed!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EDITthis wrote:

This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down y...

Oh I absolutely feel for you jo, and I guess I should have added that to my message. What I said there was NOT meant for you at all, I was referring to something entirely different. I'd be in tears too, being mugged is extremely traumatic. Hope you get it sorted really soon!!!!!
EDITthis wrote:

This is such terrible news honestly. You didn't happen to have Android Lost app (can track down y...

Thank you!
All those phone tracking apps sound great -- except the first thing a thief does is turn the phone off, making them useless. It was turned off within 3 minutes of my last using it. I'm actually still in shock and don't even know what to do. It's a terrible situation for me, but I actually feel terrible complaining to Koodo about it because it's also not their fault. But if Fido can offer me $300 off right now, I can't possibly afford to stay with Koodo. I'm forced to leave, just to get the discount. Incidentally, I notice that Virgin offers a Theft Protection option, which I will definitely be getting. I don't believe Koodo offers anything like that.
Userlevel 6
jo pérez wrote:

All those phone tracking apps sound great -- except the first thing a thief does is turn the phon...

I'm not sure if at the end it's going to be worth to switch, especially if you are on older plan. Virgin's theft insurance is a little bit of a bogus because in addition to paying $10 a month when you do lose your phone and want to replace it you will have to pay the following: "Replacement Service Charge. A non-refundable replacement service charge applies to each approved replacement for any Failure (except as specified in the second paragraph of Section 6 above). The amount of the replacement service charge differs based on whether the Covered Equipment is a Wireless Phone or Data Stick ($50), a Smartphone ($150) or a Premium Select - Smartphone ($249)." Call koodo and explain what happened they maybe able to help you out. People here said they sometime help reduce your tab.
jo pérez wrote:

All those phone tracking apps sound great -- except the first thing a thief does is turn the phon...

Koodo offered me $50 on my tab. Not much since they sell the S4 for $50 more than the competition. Paying $249 as I would on that virgin plan sounds a helluva lot better than $700 right now 😕
Userlevel 6
jo pérez wrote:

All those phone tracking apps sound great -- except the first thing a thief does is turn the phon...

You can. Buying a new phone allows you to draw on the new tab. What reason did they give you for not letting you? Also, Virgin sounds good for $249 but you have to pick a platinum plan (minimum $55) and can't switch off from it. Plus right now they don't wipe your tab just yet so you'll be paying for the phone well past the 24 months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When did Virgin start giving $300 off the price of the Galaxy S4? If you mean on the tab then you might want to look at Koodo's new 3 tier tab structure that will do the exact same thing as you paying off koodo and going to Virgin, it will be the same amount out of pocket on koodo new medium Tab which is $300.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

When did Virgin start giving $300 off the price of the Galaxy S4? If you mean on the tab then you...

but how can I sign up for this new "medium" tab? I already have an existing tab that I just drew against and is now negative. I would love to be able to draw against it more (which would essentially further commit me to koodo to pay it off) but I've been told I can't! That's why I have to switch!
but how can I sign up for this new "medium" tab? I already have an existing tab that I just drew against and is now negative. I would love to be able to draw against it more (which would essentially entail further commitment to koodo to pay it off) but I've been told I can't! That's why I have to switch!
Userlevel 3
jo pérez wrote:

but how can I sign up for this new "medium" tab? I already have an existing tab that I just drew...

Unfortinately the tab is not billable unless you cancel. I wish koodo would give the account holders manual chargers upon the clients request to pay off their tab gradually and may it off as they please. Like any tab you should have the convinience to pay it off when you want. But I see your point! it's still 10% until until you upgrade
Userlevel 3
jo pérez wrote:

but how can I sign up for this new "medium" tab? I already have an existing tab that I just drew...

Another thing may I add, if this same structure is with virgin....What are you going to do if the same thing happen there?You lose or your phone gets stolen say 6 months down the road?Port out and move to another carrier again?Like dude seriously facts are facts and suck it up buttercup but that's the way this business is
jo pérez wrote:

but how can I sign up for this new "medium" tab? I already have an existing tab that I just drew...

What I was saying about Virgin is that they offer a Theft Protection plan, which allows you to replace your phone for $259 instead of $700. This is all of a sudden a service I am very interested in. And saying "suck it up buttercup" to someone who has just been the victim of a crime is not only insensitive but obtuse and unhelpful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just paying that same amount towards the cost of the phone. What plan do you have right now Jo? Is your language one that costs $30 or more? If so then you can go on the medium Tab and use the remainder of the tab amount up to the maximum of $300. Like I said you don't need to pay off the tab but instead thar same amount will just be paid towards the price of the device at time of purchase. If this doesn't make sense then let us know your present plan cost and the amount on your tab and we can figure it out for you and let you know the details of how it would work. 🙂
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just pa...

My current plan is Canada Wide Data Plan 45, with no add ons. With tax it's $50 bucks and has 500mb, perfect for me!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just pa...

Yes you can upgrade to the medium Tab and get the remaining amount from where your tab is up to a negative balance of $300. So if you sill owe $150 on your tab then you can upgrade on the medium Tab and put another $150 on the tab bringing it to owing $300 & that would take $150 off the price of the phone your looking to get at the time of purchase. This would be the same as you paying off the tab you have of $150 but you don't pay off the tab theat $150 would just go towards the price of the ohone making it exactly the same amount as if you were paying off your tab.. You can still keep your old plan because it's over $30 before taxes. Koodo will pay their portion towards paying off your tab & you will pay a portion, $5 a month. After 2 years even if there is money owing on your tab koodo will wipe it clean and you will start again with a $0 tab amount. Trust me you can do this I did it yesterday myself & have official instructions on doing this as well. Who told you that you couldn't do this? Whoever it is they are incorrect.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just pa...

I will ask them about this. This is what they told me via email: "I also see that the last representative offered you 50 tab points, since your current tab balance is -145.50, by adding the 50 Tab points you will have $54.50 as a credit to purchase a new phone" So I guess they are capping it at $200
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just pa...

Bear in mind that all koodo reps were told about the new tab is that there would be a S, M and an L version, that the M version would have an extra $5 charge and the L version a $10 charge, the tab contribution from Koodo would go up to 15% and that the M would be available with all new plans while the L version would only be available on Tab L plans. ALL other details about how things work, what the new plans would be and the exact procedure for switching between tabs and what the eligibility requirements are were revealed Sunday, the same time everyone else found out. For most of the questions currently being asked, reps simply have no frame of reference yet. Until the dust settles, expect quite a bit of confusion and misunderstanding.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just pa...

That sucks. You would think your front line staff would be prepared before a big implementation
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You don't have to pay it off as its the same amount you'd be paying off but your actually just pa...

The thing with telling them too far ahead of time is that some not so trust worthy employees seem to leak info to websites so they hold off as long as possible I'm sure. That plus I think koodo listens to feedback and makes tweaks to try to make a happy medium upon the business of making money & making customers happy. There has to be some give and take on both ends to make big changes work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This sucks Jo. Im sorry to hear what happened. Have you thought about a pre-owned phone from koodo?

Reply