Koodo Community
Solved

Trapped in quarantine with no calls thanks to Koodo Wifi calling and support group letting me down completely.

• 14 December 2020
  • 27 replies

Freeze my ass off at the very edge of the property to get a callback and they friggin dump me off with "reset network settings and power cycle".

Pretty sure i'll be paying of the tab (only 2 months old) and moving to another provider.

icon

Best answer by Allan M 15 December 2020, 22:48

@rcwasnidge Hi! Wi-Fi calling is not supported on LG V60 THINQ 5G, for Koodo services, please check out here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling all the informations.

Wow... Does the "Koodo" in your nick mean you actually work for them?  I hope not... That doc hasn't been updated since Samsung was on S8.

Yes that does. As well it doesn't need to be updated because all subsequent Samsung phones allow it. (Which is the case for most models on that list)

Right... V30 is on the list.

And it doesn't say (or newer) beside it which would make me believe the V60 isnt supported.

What would be a better way to display that the V60 isn't supported? Just trying to discover a better way that Koodo could update the page for future use!

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So is your wifi calling not working? Did you try reseting the network settings to see if that would work? What kind of phone do you have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Freeze my ass off at the very edge of the property to get a callback and they friggin dump me off with "reset network settings and power cycle".

Pretty sure i'll be paying of the tab (only 2 months old) and moving to another provider.

I’m confused by this. Why are you not getting any calls at all? You should be receiving calls and text messages even without wifi calling, as long as you have a good signal.

Anyways, I would suggest turning on airplane mode and turn it back off. Let the wifi connection reconnect on your phone. Hopefully wifi calling works once it is restored. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How did the community let you down?  Did you post on the community before?  I do not see any posts from your username

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How did the community let you down?  Did you post on the community before?  I do not see any posts from your username

I think the OP is referring to the Koodo reps when “support group” is being mentioned. 

Badge +4

I’m confused by this. Why are you not getting any calls at all? You should be receiving calls and text messages even without wifi calling, as long as you have a good signal.

I think @rcwasnidge may reside on the fringes of Koodo’s network coverage area in perhaps a rural setting hence, waiting for a callback at the ‘very edge of the property’ in order to obtain a working cellular signal.

@rcwasnidge keep us posted and let us know if you’re able to get Wi-Fi Calling up and running.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think @rcwasnidge may reside on the fringes of Koodo’s network coverage area in perhaps a rural setting hence, waiting for a callback at the ‘very edge of the property’ in order to obtain a working cellular signal.

@rcwasnidge keep us posted and let us know if you’re able to get Wi-Fi Calling up and running.

That wouldn’t make sense, as the OP lives in Charlottetown. Based on the coverage map, OP should be receiving signal at LTE-A speeds. 

I think @rcwasnidge may reside on the fringes of Koodo’s network coverage area in perhaps a rural setting hence, waiting for a callback at the ‘very edge of the property’ in order to obtain a working cellular signal.

I don't, normally... Doing PEIs mandatory quarantine for flying in.

Badge +4

I don't, normally... Doing PEIs mandatory quarantine for flying in.

Thanks for the clarification.

That wouldn’t make sense, as the OP lives in Charlottetown. Based on the coverage map, OP should be receiving signal at LTE-A speeds. 

I can hike outside to the edge of the property of the inn and get calls, but my V60 twlls me (even there) "wifi disabled... Network error"... and it's freezing outside and most of my gear is in its way in a truck.  I'm prepped for a locked in stay, not an arctic expedition, so burning a couple days playing the call centre games with a callbacks only sytem manned by call time queens.

Skype is filling the hole as well as possible right now, but no incoming calls and hooking a VOIP up has hit the point of diminishing returns with only 4 business days left in my quarantine to get anything done anyhow.

Badge +4

Unless you have the LG V60 ThinQ 5G, Wi-Fi calling is not supported on the LG V60, according to a detailed Wi-Fi Calling compatibility list provided by TELUS. If you have the LG V60 ThinQ 5G, then try the network reset or airplane mode suggested fixes.

Wi-Fi Calling for Apple and Android devices | TELUS

Again, thank you for the clarification. Hopefully, your remaining stay in quarantine passes quickly and life can get back to some degree of normalcy. We’re customers just like you trying to help other customers.

Yup… thinQ 5g… bought from Koodo, but Koodo network doesn’t include 5g coverage.  Combine that with the concept that only the thinq5g model works on the telus wifi calling platform and I’m guessing its the perfect storm.

Anywhoo… the phone purchase and service provisions having been for this specific purpose, I’ll have to see how the coverage holds up when my life settles and go from there… I’m not sure which providers are even compatible with the thinQ5G from Koodo, but I’m sure there’s someone in the East besides (Hank Hill voice) “Telus and Telus subsidiaries” that uses the same protocols.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@rcwasnidge Hi! Wi-Fi calling is not supported on LG V60 THINQ 5G, for Koodo services, please check out here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling all the informations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where did you draw the conclusion that OP lives in Charlottetown?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The OP mentioned it in their profile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ahh wow, you're dedicated, I would never have thought to look, heh. 😁

Badge +4

Glad I made the reference ‘may reside ’ and I wasn’t too far off. Since @rcwasnidge had to resort to Wi-Fi Calling, Skype and a VoIP line, it’s clear there’s limited Koodo network connectivity in the area where he or she resides at present. I’m still not sure whether Wi-Fi Calling was ever activated or simply not available. I’m also not sure why a rep on a callback would suggest resetting network settings and power-cycling the phone if, in fact, Wi-Fi Calling is not available for the LG V60 ThinQ 5G. :upside_down:

Wow... Does the "Koodo" in your nick mean you actually work for them?  I hope not... That doc hasn't been updated since Samsung was on S8.

Moving to Charlottetown... Quarantining in New Glasgow.

Glad I made the reference ‘may reside ’ and I wasn’t too far off. Since @rcwasnidge had to resort to Wi-Fi Calling, Skype and a VoIP line, it’s clear there’s limited Koodo network connectivity in the area where he or she resides at present. I’m still not sure whether Wi-Fi Calling was ever activated or simply not available. I’m also not sure why a rep on a callback would suggest resetting network settings and power-cycling the phone if, in fact, Wi-Fi Calling is not available for the LG V60 ThinQ 5G. :upside_down:

Same as below... The support docs are all several generations old... There were no red flags on that combo for the techs... The power cycle was to end call and preserve call times as they had nothing to tell me after spinning their wheels for 10 monutes with me on hold.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes that does. As well it doesn't need to be updated because all subsequent Samsung phones allow it. (Which is the case for most models on that list)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And it doesn't say (or newer) beside it which would make me believe the V60 isnt supported.

What would be a better way to display that the V60 isn't supported? Just trying to discover a better way that Koodo could update the page for future use!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Moving to Charlottetown... Quarantining in New Glasgow.

That’s strange. From what I see on the coverage map, New Glasgow has signal at LTE-A speeds as well. It may very well have to do with some kind of interference at the property, resulting in the poor signal.

You’re not wrong.  I couldn’t say how to better communicate it, only that it seemed like a logical assumption as I hurriedly researched my options.  The way coverage is spotty around here for cell and with the Gov focusing on high speed internet availability, WiFi calling would probably be helpful down the line so it may eventually be a deal breaker… like I said earlier, I’ll need to give the coverage a chance once I’m freed from this prison.

I’m just a little sad I didn’t bring a piece of chalk to mark the days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You’re not wrong.  I couldn’t say how to better communicate it, only that it seemed like a logical assumption as I hurriedly researched my options.  The way coverage is spotty around here for cell and with the Gov focusing on high speed internet availability, WiFi calling would probably be helpful down the line so it may eventually be a deal breaker… like I said earlier, I’ll need to give the coverage a chance once I’m freed from this prison.

I’m just a little sad I didn’t bring a piece of chalk to mark the days.

Hahahha PEI is a fun one for that kind of stuff, that is for sure. Hopefully you're at least in an area with some decent wifi and aren't back to the dial up speed special that some parts of the island offer up!😂