Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Today I bought a phone off of kijiji that says its stolen

I bought a phone thats listen as lost or stolen. Is there anyway I can contact the owner and see if they want it back or if they'd sell it to me?

11 replies

You'd have to communicate with the person that you bought it from.
Userlevel 6
KaneSlavik wrote:

I don't think the person whom sold it will be willing to chat much after being told that phone was listed as stolen.
KaneSlavik wrote:

I did she gave me my money back, apparently the person she bought it from screwed her over
Userlevel 6
I guess if phone companies have list of phones that customers reported to be stolen than they should be able to trace back who it belongs to based on the phone's serial number, but I doubt they will tell you who it belongs to. As is the phone Is useless as it has been flagged and no phone company will activate it. Call koodo and see if they can return it to it's rightful owner.
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

I guess if phone companies have list of phones that customers reported to be stolen than they sho...

The issue with this is if the phone is not originally a Koodo phone then they won't be able to help anyway.
Chris Petersens wrote:

I guess if phone companies have list of phones that customers reported to be stolen than they sho...

it was with koodo i guess
Userlevel 6
We need to come up with something better than a national blacklist of stolen/lost devices. The current model is broken, honest people are getting shafted and the crooks run away with money (that looks an awful lot like the government...) I have no idea how it can be improved upon, but I think we all agree something needs to be done, on a national scale.
Userlevel 7
David's right, I think it needs to be improved for verification/proof of ownership on the device through your carrier or something. Right now I can basically find someone's IMEI on their phone, report it stolen, and screw them over with little or no recourse.
Userlevel 6
Folks, based on this article you can already check the phone's status before you buy it from kijiji or wherever. http://m.thestar.com/#!/business/new-registry-lets-you-spot-stolen-phones-roseman/68d448dce09b2a0d1ac19a4b39d51f32
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

Folks, based on this article you can already check the phone's status before you buy it from kiji...

Yup, but the thing is if the seller is a jerk, he/she can just write the imei down and when you test your sim in the phone it will work if not blacklisted BUT they can report the phone stolen afterwards resulting in owning a "stolen" phone 😞
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

Folks, based on this article you can already check the phone's status before you buy it from kiji...

^Exactly what Daniel said. And this actually happens a lot more than you think.