Koodo Community

Community

There should be a way to stop apps from using data even after you have quit them!

There should be a way to stop apps from using data even after you have quit them! My Iphone uses my data when I'm loged into facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram, ext even when I have quit them, there should be a way to turn of your data without turning off your cell service.

20 replies

You can turn the data off and not the cell service. Every HSPA phone is equipped with this.
Userlevel 7
Adrian, when you're in an app like "Facebook" or "Twitter and press the home become to 'exit', you're essentially just minimizing the screen and the app is still running in the background. If you want to completely close the app, just double-tap the home button and when the row of apps shows up on the button, click and hold one of them until they start to jiggle and press the 'X' to close the app when they're jiggling. As this is a software thing, it would be Apple who would have to implement this idea. But none the less, good idea!
Ahmad wrote:

Adrian, when you're in an app like "Facebook" or "Twitter and press the home become to 'exit', yo...

Depending on the phone, you can also press and hold the home button and this will produce of active apps. You can press and hold the apps that are available to "remove from list" which will also close them.
Userlevel 5
Ahmad wrote:

Adrian, when you're in an app like "Facebook" or "Twitter and press the home become to 'exit', yo...

Ahmad, they're in more of a suspended state there. Most apps aren't doing anything on iOS unless they're active. It's a common misconception actually. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4211?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
On Android phones, you can turn off background downloads and limit them to only use wi-fi when available. You need to do this for each program however from Settings
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James O'Leary wrote:

On Android phones, you can turn off background downloads and limit them to only use wi-fi when av...

Doesn't really help when he's got an iPhone man lol
James O'Leary wrote:

On Android phones, you can turn off background downloads and limit them to only use wi-fi when av...

No, but it might help someone who has an Android who comes across this thread due to the title and reads through. Thanks for the input James!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James O'Leary wrote:

Whatever man
James O'Leary wrote:

He's also about 4 months late. Look at the original thread. KID ANDROID has a good point. If someone else is wondering the same question, they'll make an Android/BB-specific topic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James O'Leary wrote:

Haha didn't even notice that.
James O'Leary wrote:

Maybe it is an older thread, but it's also the first one that comes up on a search for "stop apps using data". The second thread is from a year ago. If it is encouraged to search the community for answers before posting, date doesn't have much relevance if the thread is top spot for a top keyphrase for the topic. Thanks to it's revival, John Lee and Jorden added some more key iPhone info regarding iMessages and wifi. Expect to see more like this if people search and the search functions give back 4 month to year old threads as top results instead of current threads.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James O'Leary wrote:

That's not the point, this wasn't searched to ask a question, it was searched to give an answer. The answer about Android is what started this thread up again not the comment John Lee made. You are not suppose to add answers to threads that have already been answered which is what was done and wasn't even relevant to the question which was about iPhones not Android. It's said by the moderators to keep answers directly related to the question and by putting something about Android on a question related to iPhones is not doing that. I don't know how you argue with me when I'm trying to tell you something when you've just come here and I've been here for months I know how the forum is wanted to work. thanks.
James O'Leary wrote:

Actually i was searching to answer a question and this was the first to come up actually. I admit i read it a little hastily and failed notice that the OP mentioned it was an Iphone. If the community did not want this answered any more, maybe they should have locked the thread and made it not searchable in "questions needed answering".
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James O'Leary wrote:

That's fine. Actually they never lock questions just incase there is follow up questions. When you search it searches everything. If there is a yellow banner on the question saying answered or implemented or not planned or planned then the question has already been answered. Just for future reference. Don't worry I wasn't angry or anything at you that's why my response right after your answer had lol at the end. have a great day.
James O'Leary wrote:

No worries James, the forum is a fun, easy going atmosphere. Thanks for looking to contribute.
Userlevel 5
James O'Leary wrote:

Bah I got burned on the 4 months thing too with my above comment... I usually catch that stuff too 😞
Userlevel 1
James O'Leary wrote:

I found this thread quite helpful , even if it was "old" and meant only for iPhone. Thanks James.
Userlevel 5
If you are really worried about your phone using data without your permission, you can turn off your cellular data off in the your phones settings. You will not be able to send iMessages however because I believe a cellular data connection is required to send/receive iMessages.
Userlevel 5
John Lee wrote:

If you are really worried about your phone using data without your permission, you can turn off y...

Wifi works with iMessage just fine 🙂.
Userlevel 5
John Lee wrote:

If you are really worried about your phone using data without your permission, you can turn off y...

Oh right, I forgot to mention that. Thanks Jorden. 🙂