Koodo Community

The source of CRA call scam and its tricks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  • Mobile Master
  • 4188 replies
CBC just posted this investigation in their website https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cra-phone-tax-scam-marketplace-1.4830141
"You've probably got the call: An automated message threatens you with arrest over unpaid taxes. Call back and you'll be further threatened by someone claiming to be an agent of Canada Revenue Agency.

They may demand as little as $700 — though some have handed over more than $100,000.

At least 60,000 Canadians have complained about being targeted by the phone scam over the past five years. More than $10 million dollars has been stolen in that same time period, making it one of the largest cyberscams in Canadian history."

Be aware of the scam, and don't spend your time and money with them.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Got a call the other morning from one of those low interest rate credit cards.
Them: Blah, blah, blah, good payment record, blah blah, low interest rate card...
Me: You woke me up.
Them: Do you know why we called you today?
Me: To wake me up?
Them: Click.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've definitely been spammed the last few days

Userlevel 3
What is Koodo/Telus doing if anything to protect their customers?

Got another one here as well from 780-676-0627.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
canucks4life wrote:

Carriers might want to charge you if you want a "protection service" from them.

US carriers did indeed have something like that https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/6/17071478/spam-calls-how-to-stop-block-robocalls-robots-scam-iphone-android
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
canucks4life wrote:

They could block the number, but when the spammers choose canucksforlife’s number as their new face, you’ll likely not be happy.