Koodo Community
Question

texts from 5144

I am currently out of the country and I keep getting texts from 5144.  I get them daily, today I have already received at least 3 of them!!!  I don’t open them, I just delete them, but how do I make them stop?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Arbed  You get them daily? 5144 is short code we use and  did send earlier this a text with a thank you offer. You can certainly open the text and see if it’s ours.  They should be coming daily at all!  No  one else is getting them with that frequency? What phone do you have? 

Bernard, yes, daily for at least a week or more now.  I have already received 2 more since posting my question above!  Many of them have attachments, so that is why I just delete them.  Now that I think about it, my phone was giving me problems about a week or so ago so I turned it off and restarted it and I think that’s when the 5144 texts started?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Arbed Can you pls open one, take a screenshot and share what it shows? Nothing will happen to your phone or your account.  Black out any personal info if there was some in the text before you post it. 

so I can open the attachment even though I am out of the country?  I don’t want to incur roaming charges

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Arbed If you have access to wi-fi and your phone is connected to it you should be fine. Just makes sure you put the phone in airplane mode so it is only connected to your wi-fi.  

I thought in airplane mode your phone will not connect to wifi?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Arbed It will.  Just not connect to the local cellular network.

ok, interesting, thanks

@Bernard Koodo so this is interesting….I have not received a text from 5144 since the other day?  weird.  But, if I do get another one, I will take a screen shot and share it as you requested.

@Bernard Koodo   okay, so I had a brain fart, no wonder I wasn’t receiving anymore texts from 5144, because I put my phone on airplane mode that day!  I just took it off airplane mode and immediately a text from 5144 came through, with an attachment.  I tried to open it but it won’t let me, I’m guessing because I don’t have mobile data on, and I do not want to put it on because I will incur charges, so, I am thinking that while I am in the US I will just leave airplane mode on so I don’t keep receiving texts from 5144, on the other hand, if I leave it on airplane mode then I will not be able to be reached in case of emergency.  Oh well.  If I decide to not turn on airplane mode then I will save all the 5144 texts and have someone look into it when I return to B.C. next year.