Koodo Community
Question

Text messages going to old phone

I recently upgraded my cell phone to an iPhone XR and gave my old android phone to my daughter to use Messenger Kids on. Some text messages are going to the android phone instead of my new phone, and I’m starting to miss important items.

How do I get all text messages to go to my new phone? I don’t have Apple ID set up on the android phone, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

13 replies

I saw another post about going to the Apple ID Support page to remove any devices from the account; however, my old android phone was not on the list. ARGH!

I want to apply for a plan and phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Looking to your Apple ID is the wrong path, you need to look at how the messaging service on the Android phone is set up. You may need to learn how the messages are being routed to the old phone, and how to send them to your current phone.

Does the Android phone have a new number?

What messaging app were you using?

Did you reset the Android phone to factory settings before transferring it to your daughter?

I’m guessing there is some link other than the phone number which allows message transfer between some of your contacts and you. Have the missed messages anything in common?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you remove the SIM from your old phone to the new one (I assumed you did).

Anyway, which app did you receive message from your old phone? messenger kids? did you disconnect your number on that app? You need to deactivate your number on Whatapp, Viber if you have those in the Android phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I want to apply for a plan and phone

@Jojo197001 you can apply for a phone and plan here

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Phones#all_phones

Looking to your Apple ID is the wrong path, you need to look at how the messaging service on the Android phone is set up. You may need to learn how the messages are being routed to the old phone, and how to send them to your current phone.

Does the Android phone have a new number?

What messaging app were you using?

Did you reset the Android phone to factory settings before transferring it to your daughter?

I’m guessing there is some link other than the phone number which allows message transfer between some of your contacts and you. Have the missed messages anything in common?

The android phone wasn’t given a new number. I assumed the Koodo associate would have removed the SIM card when I purchased a new phone. The texts are coming through the phone’s own messaging system. I was sure to delete WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger (not the kid’s version), etc. before handing it over to my daughter; however, I didn’t do a factory reset.

I don’t see any commonalities between the couple texts that have gone to my old phone versus my new one. Maybe that the ones to my old phone haven’t texted me before I made the switch?

Did you remove the SIM from your old phone to the new one (I assumed you did).

Anyway, which app did you receive message from your old phone? messenger kids? did you disconnect your number on that app? You need to deactivate your number on Whatapp, Viber if you have those in the Android phone.

I didn’t remove the SIM as I assumed the Koodo associate did. The text’s are going to my old phone via the phone’s own text app, which I turned off. Plus I deleted any other messaging apps like WhatsApp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can u still talk and text on the old phone? 

What happens when you reply to the message on your old phone? 

Are you able to reply when wifi and data are off? 

Can u still talk and text on the old phone? 

What happens when you reply to the message on your old phone? 

Are you able to reply when wifi and data are off? 

Not always. Sometimes the text will respond, but most of the time not. Calls don’t work. I’ve always had the data turned off once I passed it on to my daugther.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you upgraded did you get a new number?

Did you get a new line?

When you login to self serve do you see more than 1 active line? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If there is no SIM card in the old phone, then the messages are being received by means other than SMS messaging, and you will need to determine what connection to your former messaging services are being used to receive messages. It seems, like What’s App, the messaging app you used allows connection to the App by means other than SMS which is tightly attached to your SIM and phone number.

When you upgraded did you get a new number?

Did you get a new line?

When you login to self serve do you see more than 1 active line? 

I had my phone number transferred to my new phone (no new line). Self Serve shows just 1 active line for this number. 

If there is no SIM card in the old phone, then the messages are being received by means other than SMS messaging, and you will need to determine what connection to your former messaging services are being used to receive messages. It seems, like What’s App, the messaging app you used allows connection to the App by means other than SMS which is tightly attached to your SIM and phone number.

Hmmmm… ok. I’ll try a hard reset to see if that solves the problem. I appreciate your help.