Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Telus bought Public Mobile

Userlevel 6
What do you think happens next? What will telus di wiTh them?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Interesting that they're acquiring a cdma provider at the same time they're talking about shutting down their cdma network.
Userlevel 2
I hope they will retire the CDMA spectrum and replace it with a 4G (LTE?) data-only network. They can offer Internet to homes without piggy-backing on telephone or cable infrastructure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Very interesting
Userlevel 2
I'd think it's just a play to get Publics 280,000 subscribers... Public has so little (low grade) spectrum that I can't see much else to this...
Userlevel 5
Kim Clarke wrote:

Interestingly, Telus is gobbling up public , killing cdma and existing customers have to buy new ...

I'm sure they're doing the same thing they're doing in Alberta where they are providing an option for a free (cheap) phone and if you don't want that you have the other options. But even in Alberta they are giving people $100 off the other phones (if they sign into a term).
Userlevel 7
Kim Clarke wrote:

Interestingly, Telus is gobbling up public , killing cdma and existing customers have to buy new ...

Public Mobile will become part of Koodo if I understand correctly. And CDMA is old technology anyway that doesn't allow for customers to bring their own compatible device.