Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Switching back and forth from cdma to 3G device on regular basis

Is there a way for me to easily switch back and forth between my koodo CDMA phone and a 3G sim card phone. I live in northern ontario and 3G service areas are tiny pockets focused on urban centers. All rural areas are CDMA. As I travel frequently I need a way to use one account and switch between devices accordingly.

8 replies

Good question Ryan, It isn't hard but, I guess it depends on whether or not you feel like activating a sim chip every time you want to switch back to your sim-enabled phone. If you buy a sim chip from Koodo or a Koodo retailer, it's about $10 a pop. Once you switch back to your CDMA phone, the original sim can't be reused again, even for the same telephone number. So that means buying alot of sim chips.
justin wrote:

Good question Ryan, It isn't hard but, I guess it depends on whether or not you feel like acti...

check this out ! http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-ruim-card.htm Does anyone have experience with RUIM cards and CDMA based phones? It might be an option for you Ryan, unless somebody else has a better suggestion. Good luck
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
justin wrote:

Good question Ryan, It isn't hard but, I guess it depends on whether or not you feel like acti...

Justin, sim cards can be reactivated on the same phone number as long as they have been off the account for less than 90 days.
justin wrote:

I stand corrected..... thanks Timo!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
you can always use your Self Service account to swap your devices, just make sure you program your CDMA phone every time you put it on the system again...

Hey Ryan, To answer your question, other than from what Timo and Camilo have offered, I guess there isn't an easier way to do the switch between a CDMA and a GSM handset on a regular basis. Fortunately, Timo confirmed that a sim card can be reactivated for the same original phone number as long as it's within 90 days of the switch. But it still means having to reactivate the sim via "self-serve" or Koodo customer service, and re-programming your CDMA with the " star 22803" method. MyckC confirmed this : http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/hi_i_was_wondering_if_you_have_ruim_for_the_iphone_4s Sorry can't help you any further....
Thanks guys for all your help on this. I really appreciate it. I have one more half formed thought but I am unsure if it is relevant / useful in my situation. Would it be of any benefit to me to port a new number to my CDMA phone, and put it on a family calling plan on my account. I am just trying to spitball ideas of a cost effective way of keeping a 3G/4G handset operational and a CDMA phone operational when I have days where I might literally cross the coverage area 2 or 3 times in a work day and need to have service on both networks with as little hassle as possible. and cant afford significant downtime without connectivity with at least one of those networks uninterrupted thru the day Any thoughts on that?
Hi Ryan, It's definitely an option, it would give you unlimited canada-wide family calling between the 2 phones, if you wanted to call yourself, LOL! Seriously, though, if the extra cost isn't an issue, then: The smallest plan would still be $20/month for the CDMA phone. And, It would save you the hassle of doing that somewhat tedious switch on a regular basis. If you decide to do this, now's the time, because of the double data and minutes promo until March 18th. Or maybe you can do prepaid Koodo for the CDMA phone depending on how much usage you need when you don't have 3G...