Koodo Community
Solved

SIN number mandatory without drivers license?

• 27 April 2021
  • 5 replies

According to the help page, they can accept a Drivers License, SIN, OR Credit Card.

After providing a credit card, the page still demands a SIN number or a drivers license. I don’t have a drivers license, and I am not giving away my SIN (that’s just silly).

Is this a silly mistake or a new (and probably illegal, discriminatory) policy? SIN numbers are not required for credit checks. They already have my credit card, my address, and my age. What the hell is going on?

A bit frustrated at this point, to say the least.

icon

Best answer by Allan M 27 April 2021, 19:14

The first picture you provided states that you can provide one of the following at a "koodo store or retail partner"

If you scroll down a little further you'll see this:

View original

5 replies

Also, I wonder if it will work if I just zero out the fields “000000000”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The first picture you provided states that you can provide one of the following at a "koodo store or retail partner"

If you scroll down a little further you'll see this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, I wonder if it will work if I just zero out the fields “000000000”.

And no this won't work. All orders are manually reviewed so if the website happens to accept it, it'll be rejected upon review.

I see. This could be a news story about discriminatory practices during COVID.

What if I were a senior, without a drivers license? I would have to risk infection by traveling to a retail store if I didn’t want to reveal my SIN number (again, not required for a credit check).

I’ll accept this answer, as it appears to be policy and not a mistake. But it is in no way a good policy, and they should rectify it.

Best

Badge +4

What if I were a senior, without a driver's license? I would have to risk infection by travelling to a retail store if I didn’t want to reveal my SIN number (again, not required for a credit check).

Which province do you reside in? In Ontario, to get around the issue where one does not have a driver's license, an Ontario Photo Card solves this problem. Other provinces may have a similar government-issued photo identification card.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card