Koodo Community
Solved

Sim questions

Userlevel 4
I bought a new S8 phone that came with a free sim card. I am keeping my current cell #.

Do I have to use the new sim? Does it require pre-registering or is it all set to work in the phone?

Will my old sim (in S5 neo) work right off the bat in the new phone or does it require pre-registration.

If either Sim OK to use, is one recommended as a better option than the other?

If I don't have to use the new sim, can it be used in a Koodo prepaid phone?

If I use the new SIM now and keep the old, can I use the old sim again in my S8 with my current number if the new one breaks?
If I use the old sim now and keep the new sim handy, can the new one be activated at a later day on my same number if the old sim dies?

Thanks a lot to anyone who answers what is a lot of questions! ☺
icon

Best answer by Dinh 23 November 2018, 05:33

hi Elinor,
I think the S5 Neo is using a microSIM while the S8 is using a nanoSIM. If the old SIM didn't fit into the new S8, you need to switch SIM.

The S8 should come with an inactivated SIM in the box from Koodo. You would need to switch SIM in your selfserve following the instruction here https://www.koodomobile.com/help/koodo-sim-support

Once you switch to the new SIM, the old Micro SIM from the S5 would be deactivated, you can throw it away. Only one number with one SIM is allowed.
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your old SIM is a Koodo SIM then it will work properly in the new phone.

If I don't have to use the new sim, can it be used in a Koodo prepaid phone? Prepaid and post-paid is 2 different SIM cards.

If I use the new SIM now and keep the old, can I use the old sim again in my S8 with my current number if the new one breaks? Yes.

If I use the old sim now and keep the new sim handy, can the new one be activated at a later day on my same number if the old sim dies? Yes, isn't it the same as previous question?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can take your old sim to use in the new phone.
I would keep the new sim as an emergency back up.

The new sim can be used in a prepaid phone, but not for prepaid services.

If you use the new sim, the old one can be used but only for the same line it was used for previously (and it must be used within 90 days again or else the sim expires.
You are better off using the old sim and then if that breaks, you can use the new sim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi Elinor,
I think the S5 Neo is using a microSIM while the S8 is using a nanoSIM. If the old SIM didn't fit into the new S8, you need to switch SIM.

The S8 should come with an inactivated SIM in the box from Koodo. You would need to switch SIM in your selfserve following the instruction here https://www.koodomobile.com/help/koodo-sim-support

Once you switch to the new SIM, the old Micro SIM from the S5 would be deactivated, you can throw it away. Only one number with one SIM is allowed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Or it might be a tai-cut SIM which you can easily adapt

Userlevel 4
Every answer had useful information and so I would vote "Best Answer to ALL of you! Thanks, so much! 🗳