Koodo Community

sim network unlock pin

• 20 February 2021
  • 12 replies

Ive transferred my number over from my previous provider. After inserting the koodo sim card it asks me for my sim pin.  I have never been given a sim pin or have I created one.  This is frustrating.

*Update*

I used Bells (my previous provider) customer service and they helped me immediately and gave me the pin.  I spent hours reading koodos help files and attempting to get answers from their robotic chat service.  Koodo’s customer service is horrendous.  I’m already regretting switching to Koodo.  

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

could you confirm if it asked you for the "network unlock code” or the “SIM pin” as those 2 are different issues ?

Was your phone locked to Bell before moving to Koodo? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If it is a Sim Pin, Bell wouldnt be able to help you with a Koodo sim.  If it was a network unlock code, only Bell could help you.  Koodo would not be able to unlock a Bell phone.

Just moving over from Bell. Put SIM card in my phone. Powered it up, it asks “SIM Network unlock PIN”. I enter in 1234 as was suggested is the PIN. No luck, 2 tries left and then my SIM card is junk.

WHY IN THE HELL DIDNT KOODO give me a VALID PIN???????

Badge +4

If your phone is from Bell, you will have to contact Bell to get the SIM Network Unlock PIN. Koodo does not unlock phones from other carriers.

The four-digit PIN you entered is a numeric ‘password’ that protects your SIM card. If you enter the wrong four-digit PIN three times, you will need an 8-digit PUK code to unblock the SIM card. You can set up a SIM Lock at a later time, if that’s something you want to do. 

All phones sold after December 01, 2017 are sold unlocked. 

Spoke with Bell. Went to the Bell store. I even had the Telus/Koodo employee walk over to the Bell store. Bell employee called Bell tech support. NO ONE CAN FIGURE THIS OUT! After 2 hours I left the store, I was starving for lunch. Bell is adamant that Koodo MUST provide the PUK. Bell has no idea.

I am into my 3rd day without cell phone use! I am paying for no cell phone use!

Obviously I am the very first person in Canada to switch cell phone providers. This is unbelievable.

I look forward to a suggestion that WORKS. Thank you.

If your phone is from Bell, you will have to contact Bell to get the SIM Network Unlock PIN. Koodo does not unlock phones from other carriers.

The four-digit PIN you entered is a numeric ‘password’ that protects your SIM card. If you enter the wrong four-digit PIN three times, you will need an 8-digit PUK code to unblock the SIM card. You can set up a SIM Lock at a later time, if that’s something you want to do. 

All phones sold after December 01, 2017 are sold unlocked. 

Spoke with Bell. Went to the Bell store. I even had the Telus/Koodo employee walk over to the Bell store. Bell employee called Bell tech support. NO ONE CAN FIGURE THIS OUT! After 2 hours I left the store, I was starving for lunch. Bell is adamant that Koodo MUST provide the PUK. Bell has no idea.

I am into my 3rd day without cell phone use! I am paying for no cell phone use!

Obviously I am the very first person in Canada to switch cell phone providers. This is unbelievable.

I look forward to a suggestion that WORKS. Thank you.

On phone again with Bell. Another hour of my life wasted. I’m 69 years old and my hours left are precious. Anyways tech support gave me four different PIN’s...NOT ONE of them worked! They are lost. I am waiting for their most senior tech guy to hopefully solve this mess. ALL I WANT IS MY CELL PHONE TO WORK ON KOODO. I guess I pushed the envelope too far and my expectations are too difficult. I will probably retire living on Mars before I get this working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To start with, WHAT is the phone asking for?

A sim network unlock code means the phone is locked to Bell. Only Bell will be able to provide the code that unlocks the phone to be used with a different provider.

A PUK code means the sim card itself is locked. Only Koodo can provide this code.

They are two different codes that resolve two different situations. They are not interchangeable.

Timo,

Phone is asking for: “SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK”.

Bell has just CONFIRMED that my phone is NOT locked to Bell. It was bought at Costco as an UNLOCKED phone. I popped in the Bell SIM card and it worked. Bell said that they have NO record of my phone from the IMEI number. The classify my phone as grey market.

So, I am off, again, to Koodo store to inform them of this and they better regard this as a definite LEARNING OPPORTUNITY. Watch this space for further updates!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Presumably your phone is a Samsung, based on the sim network puk message.

The instructions below should fix it. The PUK being requested is NOT THE SAME as a SIM puk code. As stated before, getting this from koodo will not help.

if you need to unlock your Samsung phone, here's how. You will need the following codes:

1) The Master Code Key (MCK), also known as a DEFREEZE or UNFREEZE CODE and/or;

2) A Network Control Key (NCK)also known as an Network Unlocking Code (NUC). This is the main network unlocking code. 

Both of these codes can be obtained directly from Samsung via their live chat feature in a matter of minutes. Don't waste time trying to get them from your old/new service providers.

It's important to note that what Samsung handsets refer to as a "SIM Network PUK" is actually the Master Code Key (MCK). It's exactly the same thing and it seems a poor choice of terminology by Samsung has caused a lot of confusion and wasted time for numerous people. 

Instructions for unlocking. 

1. Power off your device and insert the SIM from your new service provider. 

2. Power on. If your device gives the following message you need to enter the MCK. "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." (See step 4 if your phone asks you for a SIM Network unlock PIN). 

3. Enter MCK. It will likely tell you the code was "unsuccessful" however disregard this. 

4. You should now be at a new screen which asks for the "SIM Network Unlock PIN." Enter the NCK here. Note you only get one chance to enter the NCK, so do NOT make a mistake. 

5. You should see a message saying "Network unlock successful." Your phone is now unlocked. 

Hi Timo, thanks so much for the detailed response!

However I have decided to abandon this project….I’ve wasted way too much time (2 days) on this now. And I went to Costco and it appears I purchased the phone in 2016, so it’s getting old. The charger plug hardly works, the buttons are barely working. The screen however is remarkable, crisp and not a single issue with it! Plus it is Android 7 and can’t be upgraded. Costco has agreed to give me a full refund on the phone so for $40 I will get a brand new Motorola phone with all the latest things like wireless charging and much more. I can’t pass up an opportunity like that! I would definitely have kept the phone for a while longer but I’d face having to get a new one and frankly anything over $300 for a phone is too much! Thanks again!

Badge +4

Prior to December 01, 2017, the term ‘unlocked’ meant that one could use a SIM card from any carrier. The catch was that once the SIM card was inserted, the phone would lock to that carrier. In order to use the phone with a different carrier, (e.g. Bell to Koodo), one would have to pay a fee to have the phone unlocked.

That stuff is all past tense. The CRTC mandated that phones sold after December 01, 2017 are to be sold unlocked. Congratulations on your new, unlocked Motorola phone! 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm